Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Peak football

How old were you when you felt your own personal peak football?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Brought about by wasting an hour of my evening watching classic clip reels of players like fat Ronaldo and Zidane it got me wondering about my own personal peak football years.

Taking the emotion of supporting the Albion out of it when was peak football for you and how old were you at the time?

Peak football to me meant literally being totally absorbed in all aspects, domestic, European and international. When I used to want to lap up any small piece of knowledge and detail about as many players or leagues as I could.

You’d watch any game that was on tv and you’d have a vested interest in the result whether it be because of a superstar player you followed or a team who’s style you just liked.

Personally I’d say it was 1992-2000 for me - I just couldn’t get enough and used to and still know an inordinate amount of minutiae about so many teams and players....

So when was it for you and how old were you? Interested to see if there’s a natural correlation between the two.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Too many words.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
In terms of a season, 01/02 was pretty great- Zamora 32 goals, promotion to the championship AND CM01/02. Finished off by that weird Ronaldo (MK1) haircut in the WC Final.
(And our centenary year)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For me it was probably before I was a teenager.

I remember how exciting it was hiding under the covers listening to Peter Jones and Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday with the endless replays of their 3rd round cup tie in 1979.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
Brought about by wasting an hour of my evening watching classic clip reels of players like fat Ronaldo and Zidane it got me wondering about my own personal peak football years.

Taking the emotion of supporting the Albion out of it when was peak football for you and how old were you at the time?

Peak football to me meant literally being totally absorbed in all aspects, domestic, European and international. When I used to want to lap up any small piece of knowledge and detail about as many players or leagues as I could.

You’d watch any game that was on tv and you’d have a vested interest in the result whether it be because of a superstar player you followed or a team who’s style you just liked.

Personally I’d say it was 1992-2000 for me - I just couldn’t get enough and used to and still know an inordinate amount of minutiae about so many teams and players....

So when was it for you and how old were you? Interested to see if there’s a natural correlation between the two.
Panini stickers meant that I knew the birthplace and height of every division one player, in 1986. Rocastle? Lewisham. Shilton? Chester-le-Street. But that was just data gathering and a lack of other books to read.

I'd say complete emotional absorption would have been 1993-1998, taking in our entire journey to the depths of the football league, FA Cup defeats to minnows I still haven't heard of, as well as euro96 euphoria and WC 98 expectations. I literally lived and breathed football then.

Once I knew we were coming back to Brighton from Gillingham, I think I became calmer and certain that we had a bright future, and, probably, more relaxed about football in general. Or, given the emotions we'd been through with archer and bellotti, possibly the realisation that promotions and relegation don't really matter, so long as you have a club in existence to follow and pass on to your kids.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
For me it was probably before I was a teenager.

I remember how exciting it was hiding under the covers listening to Peter Jones and Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday with the endless replays of their 3rd round cup tie in 1979.

Was thinking the same

1st cup final 1971 (aged 7)

Like most kids back then,played football until it was too dark to see

Could name every player in div one

Always been far more interested in our lower leagues than the European ones

Probably got something to do with being a Brighton fan especially back in the 70s

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Based on the fact I did genuinely cry myself, hysterically, to sleep the night England lost to West Germany in Italia '90 on penalties a month before my 12th birthday, this poll is flawed for me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Was thinking the same

Probably got something to do with being a Brighton fan especially back in the 70s

Interesting point re: FA Cup Final

Years ago, in a pub with mates, I asked the question of the first cup final folk remembered. For every person it was the one when they were 7. I wonder how much of an exercise in sporting memory retention that could be.

Southampton and Manchester United for me.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

Years ago, in a pub with mates, I asked the question of the first cup final folk remembered. For every person it was the one when they were 7. I wonder how much of an exercise in sporting memory retention that could be.

Went down me Nan's to watch it

She had a coloured tv :mad:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

In fairness to that, the first cup final I can physically recall was also when I was 7 - Liverpool v Everton in 86.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Panini stickers meant that I knew the birthplace and height of every division one player, in 1986. Rocastle? Lewisham. Shilton? Chester-le-Street. But that was just data gathering and a lack of other books to read.

I'd say complete emotional absorption would have been 1993-1998, taking in our entire journey to the depths of the football league, FA Cup defeats to minnows I still haven't heard of, as well as euro96 euphoria and WC 98 expectations. I literally lived and breathed football then.

Once I knew we were coming back to Brighton from Gillingham, I think I became calmer and certain that we had a bright future, and, probably, more relaxed about football in general. Or, given the emotions we'd been through with archer and bellotti, possibly the realisation that promotions and relegation don't really matter, so long as you have a club in existence to follow and pass on to your kids.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Then there was of course also the 2006 FA Cup final....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Was thinking the same

I think we are a similar age because I can relate to this.
I’m sure the first FA Cup final I watched on TV was also 71 Arsenal v Liverpool, I know Arsenal were definitely playing, they were also in the 72 final v Leeds but I’m 99% sure it was the 71 final.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I think we are a similar age because I can relate to this.
I’m sure the first FA Cup final I watched on TV was also 71 Arsenal v Liverpool, I know Arsenal were definitely playing, they were also in the 72 final v Leeds but I’m 99% sure it was the 71 final.

Yeah Arsenal v Liverpool

What I remember most is the Charlie George goal,but I think, was it the sub Eddie Kelly who got the winner,seem to recall George Graham trying to claim it

72 Allan Clarke diving header
73 Sunderland (div 2) beating the mighty Leeds
74 Big Macs final (only they lost 3-0 to Liverpool)
75 West Ham beat Fulham (who Mullers & Bobby Moore played for)
76 Southampton (another div 2 side) beating Man Utd
77 Man Utd stopping Liverpool doing the treble
78 Osborne 1-0 (DavidColeman)
79 3 goals in the last 5minutes Arsenal 3 Man Utd 2

Off the top of my head like

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yeah Arsenal v Liverpool

What I remember most is the Charlie George goal,but I think, was it the sub Eddie Kelly who got the winner,seem to recall George Graham trying to claim it

72 Allan Clarke diving header
73 Sunderland (div 2) beating the mighty Leeds
74 Big Macs final (only they lost 3-0 to Liverpool)
75 West Ham beat Fulham (who Mullers & Bobby Moore played for)
76 Southampton (another div 2 side) beating Man Utd
77 Man Utd stopping Liverpool doing the treble
78 Osborne 1-0 (DavidColeman)
79 3 goals in the last 5minutes Arsenal 3 Man Utd 2

Off the top of my head like

Got up early, breakfast and ready for the full days cup final TV, including watching the coaches on the way to Wembley.
Football was my life as a kid in the 70s

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I was obviously a late developer. First one I remember was '74, Liverpool & Newcastle. I was 8.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here