Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 4-4-2 - name your team.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
So let's imagine a fantasy world where Graham Potter plays a Burnley style 4-4-2 every week, with everyone in their proper position with everyone fit.

What's our best eleven?

Ryan
Lamptey - White - Dunk - Bernardo*
Ali J - Bissouma - Lallana - March
Welbeck - Maupay​

Hmmm - looks a bit Championship to me!!

It's quite hard knowing what our players positions actually are these days!

* sneaks in because I can't think of another proper left back.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So let's imagine a fantasy world where Graham Potter plays a Burnley style 4-4-2 every week, with everyone in their proper position with everyone fit.

What's our best eleven?

Ryan
Welbeck - Maupay​

You could always write a book about GP trials and tribulations in deepest darkest Sussex :whistle:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

What's our best eleven?

Ryan
Welbeck - Maupay​

Failed already, Lamptey is being played out of position at RB he is a RWB. A schoolboy error that Dyche would never make.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

What's our best eleven?

Ryan
Welbeck - Maupay​

Cochrane?

Young but playing well at USG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Sanchez
Lamptey White Dunk Bernardo
Jahanbakhsh Bissouma Alzate Trossard
Mac Allister
Welbeck

That is Premier League class. If that team could be settled, it's more than good enough. The reserves wouldn't be bad either!;

Ryan
Veltman Webster Burn March
Lallana Molumby Propper
Zeqiri Maupay Connolly

That's not bad either. Just ditch the back 3 nonsense and we'll be flying. Get some width back in the side too, stop this 4-2-2-2 madness and forget about March anywhere but the left wing.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

What's our best eleven?

Ryan
Welbeck - Maupay​

As one who prefers Bernardo over Burn and Ali given a run out wide i like that side. Plus i prefer 4 2 4 Never know it might appear out of Potters hat one day

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Sanchez
Lamptey, Webster, White, Bernardo
Trossard, Bissouma, Alzate, Lallana
Welbeck, Maupay

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
........................Sanchez
Lamptey - White - Dunk - Burn
Trossard - Bissouma - Propper - March
................. Lallana
............... ..........Welbeck

More of a 4-2-3-1 formation. Attack down the right!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sanchez
Lamptey-White-Dunk-March
Trossard-Bissouma-Lallana-Izquierdo
Maupay-Welbeck​

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We don't suit the full Burnley. That is to the credit of everyone.

We don't suit five / three at the back either. That is the fault of, well, whoever gets final say on the starting XI and formation.

4-1-2-1-2 is the closest I could come up with and even then our left back options are fairly shit. But.....

Sanchez
Lamptey White (Webster) Dunk March
Bissouma
Alzate Gross (Molumby)
Lallana (Trossard)
Maupay Welbeck

Preferred subs / changes in brackets

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sanchez
Lamptey White Dunk Bernardo
Jahanbakhsh Bissouma Alzate Trossard
Mac Allister
Welbeck

That is Premier League class. If that team could be settled, it's more than good enough. The reserves wouldn't be bad either!;

Ryan
Veltman Webster Burn March
Lallana Molumby Propper
Zeqiri Maupay Connolly

That's not bad either. Just ditch the back 3 nonsense and we'll be flying. Get some width back in the side too, stop this 4-2-2-2 madness and forget about March anywhere but the left wing.

So Bernardo and MacAllister are Premier League class are they? Sorry, not for me they aren't.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sanchez
Veltman Webster Dunk Burn
Gross Lallana Bissouma March
Welbeck Maupay

We lack a proper left and right winger really. It really doesn't play to Lamptey's strengths either. Our squad does not super suit a 442 these days.

Agreed.

Lamptey is not a single designation right-back.

Which is one of the reasons I feel he is being over-hyped at present. Quality player as prescribed by Potter, but not a good enough defender in his own right.

Much hope for him though and, in the present set-up, we miss him heaps.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sanchez
Veltman Webster Dunk Bernardo
Lamptey Bissouma Alzate March
AliJ Andone

Fuggin brutal, that. 4-4 ****ing 2.

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Sanchez
Lamptey dunk white March

Alzate
Bissouma. Molumby
Lallana

Welbeck. Maupay

Play a diamond with plenty of legs in midfield- space
For Lamptey and March to attack ......give bissouma a bit more license to get forward more when we attack

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sorry don't do 4-4-2 but here is a 4-3-3/

Sanchez

Lamptey Dunk White/Webster March

----------Bissouma
---------------------------Propper/Alzate
-------Lallana/MacAllister

Trossard ------------------------ Welbeck

----------------- Maupay

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
We don't suit the full Burnley. That is to the credit of everyone.

We don't suit five / three at the back either. That is the fault of, well, whoever gets final say on the starting XI and formation.

4-1-2-1-2 is the closest I could come up with and even then our left back options are fairly shit. But.....

Sanchez
Lamptey White (Webster) Dunk March
Bissouma
Alzate Gross (Molumby)
Lallana (Trossard)
Maupay Welbeck

Preferred subs / changes in brackets

I’m not sure how you can make that claim when the best football we’ve played since Poyet (IMO obvs) has been with a back three? ??? March and Lamptey have been revelations playing at wingback and it allows us to play two up top, which has always been screamed for in years gone by when we’ve played with a lone striker.

Anyway, if we have to shoehorn players into this system... I still wouldn’t go 4-4-2. I’d go...

Sanchez
Veltman - Webster - Dunk - Bernardo
Molumby
Maupay​

Of course playing this way means no Lamptey (and we’ve seen how we play with his absence), Bernardo starts, because he’s the only recognised left back, and we play one striker in order to give us a three man midfield. But, because we don’t have a recognised defensive midfielder (and I’m not wasting Bis in there) I’ve gone for Molumby.

Now indulge me..:

Sanchez
Webster - White - Dunk
Lamptey - Bissouma - Alzate - March
Lallana
Maupay - Welbeck​

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m not sure how you can make that claim when the best football we’ve played since Poyet (IMO obvs) has been with a back three? ??? March and Lamptey have been revelations playing at wingback and it allows us to play two up top, which has always been screamed for in years gone by when we’ve played with a lone striker.

Anyway, if we have to shoehorn players into this system... I still wouldn’t go 4-4-2. I’d go...

Sanchez
Veltman - Webster - Dunk - Bernardo
Molumby
Maupay​

Of course playing this way means no Lamptey (and we’ve seen how we play with his absence), Bernardo starts, because he’s the only recognised left back, and we play one striker in order to give us a three man midfield. But, because we don’t have a recognised defensive midfielder (and I’m not wasting Bis in there) I’ve gone for Molumby.

Now indulge me..:

Sanchez
Webster - White - Dunk
Lamptey - Bissouma - Alzate - March
Lallana
Maupay - Welbeck​

So, firstly, I don't think our football is always that good. It can be. See Newcastle and Man U at home, but we still only got three points from those two games. Of course the woodwork was mainly to blame but we still conceded three goals because we had big gaps on our wings that were exploited on the break and because, despite having three CBs on the pitch we managed to pair up Maguire with Maupay defending a last minute corner.

But often it is ponderous and boring. Knocking it around nicely at the back and side to side in midfield before slowing it down so much that the oppo have got back in shape behind the ball. The tippy tappy is only good when played at pace.

March has done very well at LWB but can also be part of the problem due to his decision making. How many times has he burst forwards down the left only to take an age to beat his man (or not) before turning and knocking it 10 - 15 yards back, slowing the whole move down? Lamptey is obviously good but he's almost a one man team when playing. Stop him and you stop us. FAIL to stop him, as Newcastle did, and he runs the whole game and we look brilliant. But he has no replacement so persisting with five at the back when he's unfit is madness. Again, over the last couple of games, how many times did our midfield expect a quick run from RWB that neither Veltman or White could provide?

I do concede that your team at the end of your post is probably our best starting line up when everyone is fit but it still has plenty of goals against in it. The problem is that line up is rarely available at the same time and not always picked by the gaffer when they are. Does the below suit five / three at the back?

Sanchez
White Dunk Webster
Veltman Propper Bissouma Burn
Gross
Trossard Connolly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here