Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ryan: "I’ll fight my way back" (or maybe I should just bugger off)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
“The day before the Fulham game, the manager told me he’d be giving the other goalkeeper (Sanchez) a substantial to run to see how he goes, and would be keeping Jason Steele as his second choice as he likes the way he fulfils the role,” Ryan told The World Game.

“He added that if I get a good offer in January I should take it, knowing that I want to be playing week-in week-out.

“It came as a shock and a surprise that he said that.

“Knowing where I stand now, from what was communicated to me, perhaps it might be better that we do go our separate ways.

“However, until that opportunity comes - and it’s a good project - then, as far as I’m concerned, I’m a Brighton player and I’m here to fight for my spot.”

MORE >>> https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/i-ll-fight-my-way-back-axed-ryan-s-message-to-brighton

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Clearly an interview putting himself in the shop window while saying the right things re the club, fighting for my place etc. I'd be gutted to see him leave, especially having just got both my boys Ryan goalkeeper shirts for Christmas.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The only way Ryan is getting back in the team is if Sanchez makes an absolute ricket (in fact, several rickets). It's a great shame, as I have absolutely loved his enthusiasm....but at the moment Sanchez looks a much better option. In fact, it's a massive plus that we seem to have succeeded in bringing a quality goalkeeper through the ranks. When did we last do that?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’d expect nothing less.

A great pro, good Aussie lad. But hasn’t performed (and the metrics back this up). Whilst Sanchez has been a breath of fresh air.

If Matty does get another chance in goal I will support him and no one would be happier to be proved wrong than me.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Balanced and fair comments from Ryan to be fair. He hasn't done an Andone or what many players might have done by throwing his toys out the pram.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Interestingly, the exact same passage is posted in the Maty Ryan analysis thread with the conclusion that he's never playing for us again and is off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’d expect nothing less.

A great pro, good Aussie lad. But hasn’t performed (and the metrics back this up). Whilst Sanchez has been a breath of fresh air.

If Maty does get another chance in goal I will support him and no one would be happier to be proved wrong than me.

Yes.

The various things I like about this are the fact he was shocked, but not offended, and that he'd prefer to stay and fight for his place in the project. Also, the honesty and the ruthlessness of the manager. And that the player is the one to break the story (no doubt with club approval) not the manager (doing a Maureen).

The fact we all seem happy with Sanchez is yet another reason why Potter . . .

Potter is shitehouse! Get Rid! Get

Apologies. My brain was momentarily taken over by the spirit of Spence, late of this parish

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Clearly an interview putting himself in the shop window while saying the right things re the club, fighting for my place etc. I'd be gutted to see him leave, especially having just got both my boys Ryan goalkeeper shirts for Christmas.

I've always said it's better to do your xmas shopping at the last minute :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
End of the road for the Stubby one

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maty will likely leave now yes.

If he does, then anyone rejoicing, is in my view a total bell end.

He has been a terrific keeper and fantastic professional for the club for years. All things comes to an end in football though

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it came as a shock can I suggest he was too comfortable? It was a brave move by Potter as well as a risk but so far it’s paying off.

Can I just pre empt the “we still aren’t winning”, yes I know that but I don’t think that we have conceded a shot from outside the box since Sanchez came in?

Excellent news that he is willing to fight for his place though :thumbsup:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It was a brave move by Potter as well as a risk but so far it’s paying off.

Probably one of the reasons that Tony is happy with GP - a decent keeper these days is north of £15m - Villa paid £20m for Martinez (who had previously only played 15 times in the EPL). I know we are transfixed by the short-term troubles, but longer term (as oft repeated) Potter is doing a great job in blooding the youngsters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Probably one of the reasons that Tony is happy with GP - a decent keeper these days is north of £15m - Villa paid £20m for Martinez (who had previously only played 15 times in the EPL). I know we are transfixed by the short-term troubles, but longer term (as oft repeated) Potter is doing a great job in blooding the youngsters.

Very very few of us thinking like that anymore though :down:

Of course we could be wrong, who knows?

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Dignified exit and a loss to us. He is a good PL keeper and much needed positive and professional character.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Im sure the club wants to sell him and almost as sure he would like to move, problem is that it is very difficult for a keeper to find a new club, particularly in the January window. Fair chance he will be around regardless what the club and he himself wants. But I hope he will move somewhere good. He previously talked about playing in the Champions League, perhaps joining a better team in a worse league could make that come true for him, though it might hurt a bit in the wallet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here