Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Making sense of last night's team selection

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I know, the title of this thread is a mine field and risks overlapping with a dozen question threads, but...

I sadly woke up pondering what drive Potter to the starting line up against Arsenal. Why, for example, start Ali J ahead of a striker? I can't make sense of it.

Emptying the Cupboard?
Was it using the last game to a) put some players in the shop window to support January's transfer business and/or b) show Tony "this is all I got to play with Tony"?
Would you sacrafice points to do that? Did he need to meet contractual clauses for players game time?

Confidence?
Was it a case of picking a team that showed the most confidence? It's hard to conceive Maupay and Wellbeck wouldn't have been bouncing around the training ground ready to give Arsenal a game.

Rotation?
Okay this is plausible with Christmas fixtures, but is Wolves considered more winnable? Wouldn't analysis have said playing a striker will improve the odds vs Arsenal so maybe at least give a striker a half? Maupay hasn't played all fixtures and not played 90 minutes in all the fixtures he's played.

Behind closed doors?
Is it something we arn't meant to know? Have some of the squad groaned at the prospect of us breaking bad and considering Glenn Murray as an option? Has there been dissent in the ranks? It's hard to beleive Wellbeck would be caught up in that if it were true. This seems a less likely reason.

Best team?
This is the one which has now spooked me. Granted I haven't seen all the data, analysis and coaching team inputs to know what may be the best team to put out, but my feeling was that wasn't it. Yes I liked the way the first half played out, but I thought at half time Ali would be off and we'd see one striker followed by another in phased substitution to take the game to Arsenal. I'm spooked if Potter thinks all the cards were played right. I think he's an intelligent manager who knows good football. Surely there is a constraint which is shaping these decisions, maybe it's just another game he called wrong and it's okay...that's going to happen, but please give us a clue.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Rotation is clearly the biggest factor, he did similar last year

I also think there is more too it than we know about. Maybe a message to his strikers that they aren't as indispensable as they think they are. It probably wasn't a roaring success on this front.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think Occam’s razor comes into play. Most obvious answer? Players were tired and we needed fresh legs in the team.

Also players like Mac, Bernardo, Proper and AJ have hardly started this season. So a good run out.

Part of me wonders if this was a last chance saloon for a few (Bernardo, Proper and AJ especially). “I don’t think you’re good enough for the first team. Prove me wrong”.

We will likely find out in the next window or two.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rotation is clearly the biggest factor, he did similar last year

I also think there is more too it than we know about. Maybe a message to his strikers that they aren't as indispensable as they think they are. It probably wasn't a roaring success on this front.

It wasn't a roaring success on any front!

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
I think Occam’s razor comes into play. Most obvious answer? Players were tired and we needed fresh legs in the team.

Also players like Mac, Bernardo, Proper and AJ have hardly started this season. So a good run out.

Part of me wonders if this was a last chance saloon for a few (Bernardo, Proper and AJ especially). “I don’t think you’re good enough for the first team. Prove me wrong”.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It wasn't a roaring success on any front!

Ah but in the Potterverse it was a quintessential game.

Team set up perfectly.
Opposition completely ineffectual for first 45 minutes.
Play nice football.
Squander a couple of half decent chances.
Overthinking in the final third also costly.
Outplayed for 10 minutes at the start of the second half.
Concede a really poor goal.
Never look like scoring.

Don't squander chances.
Be better prepared for the second half - gotta be on Potter.

Walk away with a win.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ah but in the Potterverse it was a quintessential game.

Team set up perfectly.
Opposition completely ineffectual for first 45 minutes.
Play nice football.
Squander a couple of half decent chances.
Overthinking in the final third also costly.
Outplayed for 10 minutes at the start of the second half.
Concede a really poor goal.
Never look like scoring.

Learn from it and take the positives.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

Given it's end of December I think applying Occam's razor works for me because it leaves me with yes the freshest legs were played and actually it's no bad thing to give them a run out before January.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If rotation was the motivation - which would be my guess - then the holiday period planning that ends up with no striker starting against a weak Arsenal defence is shambolic.

I have been Team Potter until now, but yesterday left me bemused and angry.

PG

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Emptying the Cupboard?
Was it using the last game to a) put some players in the shop window to support January's transfer business and/or b) show Tony "this is all I got to play with Tony"?
Would you sacrafice points to do that? Did he need to meet contractual clauses for players game time?

a) no, football clubs dont do window shopping. b) no, he is able to verbally communicate with TB.
And no, there are no such things as contractual clauses regulating game time - that, much like a lot of other things, only exists in the minds of fans. It might exist in baseball or cricket or any other joke sport, **** do I know, but it doesnt exist in football.

Confidence?
Was it a case of picking a team that showed the most confidence? It's hard to conceive Maupay and Wellbeck wouldn't have been bouncing around the training ground ready to give Arsenal a game.

Cant say for sure but Im 99% sure its not the case. Plenty of the players who played yesterday are most likely pretty low on confidence having not played much this season.

"Rotation?
Okay this is plausible with Christmas fixtures, but is Wolves considered more winnable? Wouldn't analysis have said playing a striker will improve the odds vs Arsenal so maybe at least give a striker a half? Maupay hasn't played all fixtures and not played 90 minutes in all the fixtures he's played."

If Wolves is more winable or not doesnt matter when Wolves is not the game played 48 hours after the West Ham game. Potter just like other managers cant tell his players "bro, could you wait three days to get tired from your previous game?". The human body doesnt work like that. As for "not playing a striker", Ali J played striker last night, if he is a good one or not is a different question.

"Behind closed doors?
Is it something we arn't meant to know? Have some of the squad groaned at the prospect of us breaking bad and considering Glenn Murray as an option? Has there been dissent in the ranks? It's hard to beleive Wellbeck would be caught up in that if it were true. This seems a less likely reason."

No most likely not.

"Best team?
This is the one which has now spooked me. Granted I haven't seen all the data, analysis and coaching team inputs to know what may be the best team to put out, but my feeling was that wasn't it. Yes I liked the way the first half played out, but I thought at half time Ali would be off and we'd see one striker followed by another in phased substitution to take the game to Arsenal. I'm spooked if Potter thinks all the cards were played right. I think he's an intelligent manager who knows good football. Surely there is a constraint which is shaping these decisions, maybe it's just another game he called wrong and it's okay...that's going to happen, but please give us a clue."

No. Reasonably fit, reasonably non-shite.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Emptying the Cupboard?

a) no, football clubs dont do window shopping. b) no, he is able to verbally communicate with TB.
And no, there are no such things as contractual clauses regulating game time - that, much like a lot of other things, only exists in the minds of fans. It might exist in baseball or cricket or any other joke sport, **** do I know, but it doesnt exist in football.

Confidence?

Cant say for sure but Im 99% sure its not the case. Plenty of the players who played yesterday are most likely pretty low on confidence having not played much this season.

"Rotation?
Okay this is plausible with Christmas fixtures, but is Wolves considered more winnable? Wouldn't analysis have said playing a striker will improve the odds vs Arsenal so maybe at least give a striker a half? Maupay hasn't played all fixtures and not played 90 minutes in all the fixtures he's played."

If Wolves is more winable or not doesnt matter when Wolves is not the game played 48 hours after the West Ham game. Potter just like other managers cant tell his players "bro, could you wait three days to get tired from your previous game?". The human body doesnt work like that. As for "not playing a striker", Ali J played striker last night, if he is a good one or not is a different question.

"Behind closed doors?
Is it something we arn't meant to know? Have some of the squad groaned at the prospect of us breaking bad and considering Glenn Murray as an option? Has there been dissent in the ranks? It's hard to beleive Wellbeck would be caught up in that if it were true. This seems a less likely reason."

No most likely not.

"Best team?
This is the one which has now spooked me. Granted I haven't seen all the data, analysis and coaching team inputs to know what may be the best team to put out, but my feeling was that wasn't it. Yes I liked the way the first half played out, but I thought at half time Ali would be off and we'd see one striker followed by another in phased substitution to take the game to Arsenal. I'm spooked if Potter thinks all the cards were played right. I think he's an intelligent manager who knows good football. Surely there is a constraint which is shaping these decisions, maybe it's just another game he called wrong and it's okay...that's going to happen, but please give us a clue."

No. Reasonably fit, reasonably non-shite.

It is rotation then and we'll have to assume recovery from previous left us without a striker...possibly Ali J has been banging them in training. I don't beleive sacrafices were made for the Wolves game either, or at least I'd be surprised if they were.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I like AJ and really want him to do well, but it's not going to happen. I was happy with the team we put out yesterday and thought Mac Alister did well, but how many more opportunities is AJ going to get? Why start him up front when Zeqiri could've been given a chance? Connelly, for me at least, isn't anywhere near the level needed and would benefit from more game time in the Championship, so give Zeqiri a shot as he looked lively enough when coming on the other day.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I like AJ and really want him to do well, but it's not going to happen. I was happy with the team we put out yesterday and thought Mac Alister did well, but how many more opportunities is AJ going to get? Why start him up front when Zeqiri could've been given a chance? Connelly, for me at least, isn't anywhere near the level needed and would benefit from more game time in the Championship, so give Zeqiri a shot as he looked lively enough when coming on the other day.

And played him on the left wing

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I know, the title of this thread is a mine field and risks overlapping with a dozen question threads, but...

I sadly woke up pondering what drive Potter to the starting line up against Arsenal. Why, for example, start Ali J ahead of a striker? I can't make sense of it.

Emptying the Cupboard?

Confidence?

Rotation?
Okay this is plausible with Christmas fixtures, but is Wolves considered more winnable? Wouldn't analysis have said playing a striker will improve the odds vs Arsenal so maybe at least give a striker a half? Maupay hasn't played all fixtures and not played 90 minutes in all the fixtures he's played.

Behind closed doors?
Is it something we arn't meant to know? Have some of the squad groaned at the prospect of us breaking bad and considering Glenn Murray as an option? Has there been dissent in the ranks? It's hard to beleive Wellbeck would be caught up in that if it were true. This seems a less likely reason.

Best team?
This is the one which has now spooked me. Granted I haven't seen all the data, analysis and coaching team inputs to know what may be the best team to put out, but my feeling was that wasn't it. Yes I liked the way the first half played out, but I thought at half time Ali would be off and we'd see one striker followed by another in phased substitution to take the game to Arsenal. I'm spooked if Potter thinks all the cards were played right. I think he's an intelligent manager who knows good football. Surely there is a constraint which is shaping these decisions, maybe it's just another game he called wrong and it's okay...that's going to happen, but please give us a clue.

Manager without a scooby doo taking yet another hopeful punt?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
If we were going for one up front, you’d imagine Welbeck or Maupay would be selected. Bizarrely we played well first half and could easily have gone in 1:0 up at half time. I think the disappointment for me was / is, that Potter only ever seems to make substitutions when we go behind.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Emptying the Cupboard?

Confidence?

Rotation?

Behind closed doors?

Best team?

There WAS no sense to it. Potter was just taking the piss leaving all of of our strikers on the bench when soft touch Arsenal were there for the taking, same as they always are. Looked for all the world like he was trying to engineer a sacking and a payoff. There's no WAY this gormless benny and all his entourage will still be in charge, even halfway through his stupidly long contract. It's beyond pathetic

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

like the amazon commentator said, Ali J is scorer of wonderful goals, not a wonderful scorer of goals. Far too eratic, and not a patch on Knockaert who also wore the badge with pride and got the fans.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Would we really gift 3 points for that? TBF Bernardo was surplus to requirements donkey's ago and don't all of us recognise that both Proper and Ali J will go once a half decent offer comes in.

Something more to it, can't even get to tired legs when 3 points that we are desperate for are up for grabs.

All I can come up with is 'panic' (Mr Mainwaring)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here