Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should Sanchez have saved that?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Why wasn't someone tracking Lacazette?

Webster was tracking Lacazette, but ran on into the penalty area when he checked his run. Clever play by the forward to make space to receive the ball really, Webster was still closest though and should have been given the shout to press back as the other two Arsenal players in the attack were both covered at that point.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I commented on the BBC Sport page - if we had Lacazette we might of won - but right from the off I couldn't see how we were ever going to score with that team selection

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
There was so much wrong with the defending for the goal, but Sanchez had no chance and was excellent again, with the exception of one or two kicks in the first half.

Burn got too tight and was rolled by Saka. He then had a perfect opportunity to bring him down and take a yellow (admittedly this wouldn’t fit with our “nice guys” image, but any of our rivals would have done). All of our defenders in the box then rushed back to defend the goal, without any of them considering Lacazette’s position. Poor all round.

On the plus side, how refreshing was it to see a keeper coming for crosses and taking the pressure off our defence?!

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
No chance with the goal. But he needs to improve his distribution. Anything beyond 10m was consistently failing to hit a blue target. Same in the Sheffield utd game.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No chance with the goal. But he needs to improve his distribution. Anything beyond 10m was consistently failing to hit a blue target. Same in the Sheffield utd game.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This is a fair comment. He keeps trying to pick out a man and is getting nowhere near.

It's ok, we can work around this. He has to play to his strengths and we can hide his weaknesses. We should be telling him to punt up the middle if he's choosing not to play a short pass. He's actually got very good range. Get Wellbeck up there to compete for headers and Maupay or Connolly running in behind

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
No, it was a very powerful shot low and in the corner. Bit of a myth about being beaten near post always a cardinal sin according to Kasper Schmeichel, if indeed that really qualified as near post as Lacazette was right in front of that side of the goal IIRC (which I don't always).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
My question would be with the defending. Why were all of our 3 CBs so static when they had one man to mark?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Does Sanchez ever save any penalties? I can’t remember him ever saving one.

I was a bit disappointed he was out psyched by the penalty taker today.
The penalty takers eyes said he was going to Sanchez right and Sanchez decided that is were the ball was going and commited to it to early.
He is a big lad and he actually got well over to that side,just unfortunately the wrong side.
I think he would be better not moving until the ball is kicked as a lot of players these days wait until the keeper moves and his size will put a bit of doubt in the penalty takers mind.
But he still looks like he has the making of a decent keeper to me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Twas a flap for the OG, no denying it. But overall I think he's done really well. If there were a competent set of officials in place (big ask, obvs) then he'd have had a superb assist for the Trossard 'goal'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Twas a flap for the OG, no denying it. But overall I think he's done really well. If there were a competent set of officials in place (big ask, obvs) then he'd have had a superb assist for the Trossard 'goal'.

That's what we're going to have for the rest of his tenure, this season.

I still think he'll do more good than harm, but we do need to prepare ourselves for such whoopsies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here