Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should Sanchez have saved that?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yesterday is the risk you take when you take the gamble of picking a young keeper and making him number 1, sometimes he will make some rookie mistakes. Honestly though, if I had to sit down and write a list of all our problems, goalkeeper is going to come a long way down the list.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just a pity his first big mistake couldnt wait until we were 2 up in a game but of course that may have been a long wait

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Yesterday is the risk you take when you take the gamble of picking a young keeper and making him number 1, sometimes he will make some rookie mistakes. Honestly though, if I had to sit down and write a list of all our problems, goalkeeper is going to come a long way down the list.

Even so, Alzate lost his man, whether Sanchez comes off his line or not, that Leicester player is still getting a free header. You should be able to miss a couple as a keeper and your defence bail you out. As much Alzate’s fault as it was Sanchez.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just a pity his first big mistake couldnt wait until we were 2 up in a game but of course that may have been a long wait

yeh

Every defensive mistake we are making, which isn't really that many are being made to look much worse because the forwards aren't doing their jobs

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not seen this discussed - but should Sanchez have saved that ? Bloke next to me was convinced it took a deflection but even after the replays I’m not sure it did ? Rocket for sure but was pretty much straight at him. Shame as he had little to do

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Not seen this discussed - but should Sanchez have saved that ? Bloke next to me was convinced it took a deflection but even after the replays I’m not sure it did ? Rocket for sure but was pretty much straight at him. Shame as he had little to do

Yes he definitely should have. Awful positioning to start with. If we hadn’t have picked up a point yesterday then he would have been absolutely slaughtered for it on here - as he was at the time on Twitter by thousands of tweets.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My first instinct watching live was that it was a rocket shot that came through legs and arrived at an awkward place. Would have been a very, very good save to keep it out of the net.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Beaten by the bounce just in front of him. Got a strong hand to it and will feel he should have saved it I’m sure, but certainly. Wasn’t straight at him and travelled through a few legs before he would have seen it. Think his positioning was most likely a half yard out

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He did get a hand to it and we know he has strong hands but that was a rocket. I think it took a deflection too, which brings me back to “When did we last score a deflected goal”? It seems a fair percentage of those we concede have a deflection on the way into the net

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He should of saved it. Not a howler, but he will cross with himself that he did not keep it out IMHO.

I thought at the time, and confirmed watching the replay he is unsighted by both MacA and Alzate closing the ball down. Think his body weight is anticipating the shot or cross going more far post. Also took a very slight deflection.

Could have saved it. Not sure about the should.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
On the American feed at halftime the commentator said something like: the two teams separated by a moment of "goalkeeping folly", which I thought was very harsh. However, on another day, with better positioning, I believe Rob saves that, even though it was a hard shot that took a deflection (off Mac I think).

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Should he have saved it? On the balance of probabilities my answer is no. The ball is hit very hard and low, he's slightly unsighted and and there is a small deflection. His hand is a little weak but the deflection has meant that his whole bodyweight is shifted to the other post.

I think big Bob is a little bit of an enigma at present. Capable of making some great reflex saves but you are just a little nervous of his handling particularly at set pieces. The curious incident from last night was the very casual batting away of the the shot from Azpilicueta. The old supremely confident Bob I think would have caught that. Do we need a change? Of course not it's just a tricky phase that a good pro will work through. As an example look at McAlister and how after a shocking sub appearance against Newcastle he fell out of favour. However, he knuckled down and has come back strongly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As usual we were sat perfectly positioned for both goals!!

He does get a decent hand on it, so I'm sure will be disappointed.
That said it was traveling - matey got hold of it and some.

Fairly sure that shot goes in 90+% of the time by virtue of just how hard it was hit.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This seemed to cause a bit of a split opinion amongst our group. For me it was one of those where it looks like the 'keepers fault initially, but in actual fact due to the shot power, deflection on the ball, and where it ended up (not down his throat so no chance of getting both hands to it) it would have been a superb save if he'd managed to keep it out. I notice watching back some of the BT analysis Glenn Murray made a comment about the deflection speeding up the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here