Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Expectation management

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Well. It’s quite the pit of despair here this evening, isn’t it? I posted this after the Sheffield United match but it rapidly vanished in the swirl of sacker v licker recrimination that followed. In the light of tonight’s match I’m going to go all “look at me” and give it its own stage, in a slightly edited form.

Somebody somewhere has probably made up a weighted table of the football league over its entire history. However, if they have, I haven’t seen it so the following is guesswork. We’ve been around for 120 years now. Our average finish in the entire league is probably very close to bang average: somewhere from 40th to 50th. Viewed against the arc of history, we’re punching above our weight.

Granted, we are playing in 2020, not 1929 or whatever. We are currently in the Premier League and should always aspire to be improving. However, I do view our performance through a historical filter. We’ve stared over the abyss and lived to tell the tale. That absolutely colours my judgement with regards to our current predicament.

The Football League is littered with the bones of clubs who bought big to reach the promised land but ultimately fell. We don’t have to look too far to see this, as we suffered our own spectacular fall from grace: from the top flight to Hereford in just 14 years.

We are absurdly fortunate to have an owner that unquestionably has our best interests at heart. He has spent somewhere in the order of a quarter of a billion pounds putting an infrastructure in place designed to future proof us against another calamitous plummet down the ladder. If we are relegated we could reasonably expect to recoup some of the losses through player sales and have an academy producing talent already being battle hardened in the league we would find ourselves in. We are being run prudently. We hope to develop but we have a beady eye on an uncertain future. Would I choose that over a financial bonanza overseen by an uninterested conglomerate which might take its toys away at any time? Damn straight I would.

So I’m delighted to be in the Premier League and still rather thrilled at the novelty of it all. I start every season anticipating a struggle and this will remain the case as we clearly are not going to follow the path of rampant spending. This forum has lately been a blitzkrieg of blether. Of course the object is to score goals and win matches but provided I have a team that provides me with entertainment, I am prepared to accommodate its deficiencies. They are part and parcel of a club at our level.

I remember the final months of Hughton’s tenure. He’s a legend and I’d walk over hot coals for the guy or give him a kidney if he found himself short of one. However, by the end of that season we’d almost abandoned the notion of winning. We were durable and tenacious but forward thinking? No. It was heartbreaking to hear commentators describe misplaced pass after pass and embarrassing to hear my club derided for its lack of ambition. I just don’t feel that way anymore. I like watching us. It’s that simple. We have one of the most talented squads we’ve ever seen. It’s just that they are rendered ordinary by dint of being in this fiercely difficult division.

I’ll stick with Potter. Many won’t. That’s fine. Opinions about eleven guys kicking leather about shouldn’t cause so much ire so I am perplexed as to why so many on here appear furious all of the time. I don’t like losing. I’m feeling deflated yet again tonight but that’s the normal lot of a Brighton supporter, isn’t it? I’m surprised at just how far people expect us to go relative to our apparent expenditure. Why is this? The formula is fairly clear. The more you spend on players and their wages, the better your chance of remaining and progressing in the Premier League. In any league, in fact. I suspect that club is paying the price for articulating its stated ambition of a top ten place. Has this raised the bar for what many feel they should expect?

Thoughts? Preferably politely but if venting helps the pain, fill your boots and let it all out.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm not there yet OP. Give me a day or two.

The frustration levels of this season are off the scale.

I think i'd prefer it if we were just sh**. But we're not, we're a decent side. Just atrocious in the final third

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I guess your thread title isn’t as reactionary as many, hence few responses. I agree with the gist of what you say but it seems that the patience of many others has finally gone and for them change is demanded.

I hope and pray that change is attitudinal from within rather than managerial but it’s clearly up to TB and I’m sure we’ll all support whatever decision he makes.

I am concerned that the lack of confidence which has affected our strikers has now permeated through the whole team, coach and fans and it has to change. However GP and co. galvanise the squad it MUST happen. We so badly need that victory.

I remain 100% behind GP while TB has faith in him. Let’s hope that 2021 starts with a win for us on Saturday - I prefer to be positive and believe we can do it. If the season does end in failure I’d rather it be a glorious one where we went for a win every game and maybe we’ll get a few breaks along the way.

Come on Albion!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm not there yet OP. Give me a day or two.

The frustration levels of this season are off the scale.

I think i'd prefer it if we were just sh**. But we're not, we're a decent side. Just atrocious in the final third

This, had plenty of years of being totally crap, laughably so, it was part of the appeal, and we stuck with it.

Now we're at a much higher level, and competing but losing, the frustration is plain to see.

If we were utter gash and losing all the time, fair enough, if we'd had to sell our players, fair enough. BUT we're investing, progressing and failing all at the same time. That is extra frustrating, especially when we're given the same spineless drivel after every match, its like rubbing salt in the wounds.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Well. It’s quite the pit of despair here this evening, isn’t it? I posted this after the Sheffield United match but it rapidly vanished in the swirl of sacker v licker recrimination that followed. In the light of tonight’s match I’m going to go all “look at me” and give it its own stage, in a slightly edited form.

Somebody somewhere has probably made up a weighted table of the football league over its entire history. However, if they have, I haven’t seen it so the following is guesswork. We’ve been around for 120 years now. Our average finish in the entire league is probably very close to bang average: somewhere from 40th to 50th. Viewed against the arc of history, we’re punching above our weight.

Granted, we are playing in 2020, not 1929 or whatever. We are currently in the Premier League and should always aspire to be improving. However, I do view our performance through a historical filter. We’ve stared over the abyss and lived to tell the tale. That absolutely colours my judgement with regards to our current predicament.

The Football League is littered with the bones of clubs who bought big to reach the promised land but ultimately fell. We don’t have to look too far to see this, as we suffered our own spectacular fall from grace: from the top flight to Hereford in just 14 years.

We are absurdly fortunate to have an owner that unquestionably has our best interests at heart. He has spent somewhere in the order of a quarter of a billion pounds putting an infrastructure in place designed to future proof us against another calamitous plummet down the ladder. If we are relegated we could reasonably expect to recoup some of the losses through player sales and have an academy producing talent already being battle hardened in the league we would find ourselves in. We are being run prudently. We hope to develop but we have a beady eye on an uncertain future. Would I choose that over a financial bonanza overseen by an uninterested conglomerate which might take its toys away at any time? Damn straight I would.

So I’m delighted to be in the Premier League and still rather thrilled at the novelty of it all. I start every season anticipating a struggle and this will remain the case as we clearly are not going to follow the path of rampant spending. This forum has lately been a blitzkrieg of blether. Of course the object is to score goals and win matches but provided I have a team that provides me with entertainment, I am prepared to accommodate its deficiencies. They are part and parcel of a club at our level.

I remember the final months of Hughton’s tenure. He’s a legend and I’d walk over hot coals for the guy or give him a kidney if he found himself short of one. However, by the end of that season we’d almost abandoned the notion of winning. We were durable and tenacious but forward thinking? No. It was heartbreaking to hear commentators describe misplaced pass after pass and embarrassing to hear my club derided for its lack of ambition. I just don’t feel that way anymore. I like watching us. It’s that simple. We have one of the most talented squads we’ve ever seen. It’s just that they are rendered ordinary by dint of being in this fiercely difficult division.

I’ll stick with Potter. Many won’t. That’s fine. Opinions about eleven guys kicking leather about shouldn’t cause so much ire so I am perplexed as to why so many on here appear furious all of the time. I don’t like losing. I’m feeling deflated yet again tonight but that’s the normal lot of a Brighton supporter, isn’t it? I’m surprised at just how far people expect us to go relative to our apparent expenditure. Why is this? The formula is fairly clear. The more you spend on players and their wages, the better your chance of remaining and progressing in the Premier League. In any league, in fact. I suspect that club is paying the price for articulating its stated ambition of a top ten place. Has this raised the bar for what many feel they should expect?

Thoughts? Preferably politely but if venting helps the pain, fill your boots and let it all out.

Sorry mate but if you think one victory at home in a calendar year is acceptable , no matter which league you are in the manager will be in trouble ,
The football we played in his first season up to Christmas was exciting to watch . Since then it has become turgid , uninspiring and so predictable,
He has no idea of what his best team is , I just don’t think he is a very good manager

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
[MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] have you never read my ELO Rating thread?
http://clubelo.com/Brighton
Screenshot_2020-12-30 Football Club Elo Ratings.png

GP is edging ever closer to Mike Bailey's highest ever ranking and looks to be heading the same way in the popularity stakes.

Personally I look at our squad and feel we should be sitting amongst the likes of Newcastle, Palace, Leeds, Aston Villa. Comfortably mid table and progeessing. My expectations are higher than scrapping it out with Fulham for survival this season.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Judging by the join dates of lots of NSC contributers we were there when we were crap and we will still be there IF we are crap again. Lets just enjoy the ride while we are alive.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
When gormless Graham comes out after every match saying we will learn and progress my expectation is that is what will happen, when the same things happen next match and he rinses and repeats I kind of feel it might not be working.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes Potter in.

(“That’s too much writing shite for me to read i ain’t got the time”).

This thread will piss off the non readers as well, which is a nice bonus.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
You have to accept we are also rans in our League and will at the best finish mid-table. we play teams who have spent more on one player than our entire team, the top managers would not be able to lift us into the top eight so give our manager time,if we should be relegated we can look forward to watching entertaining attacking play rather than the dreary defensive matches we so often experience

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

I agree with pretty much all that you say. We all admired and loved CH but many have short memories about his final season - in many away matches there was little ambition and the opposition might as well have played without a keeper. We play far more attractive football under Potter, I enjoy watching us play, in most of our games we look the more likely team to win - but it’s obviously frustrating that our points tally is less than the performances deserve. I keep thinking and hoping it will come right. But may be I need to remove my rose tinted specs.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
In honesty we are all fur coat and no Knickers. GP has the personality of a wet blanket and it’s really starting to become tiring listening to same excuses game after game. He is lucky that there are no fans at the games as he is getting off lightly. Don’t ge5 me wrong,attractive football certainly has a place, but so does passion, desire and guts. I want to see my team getting stuck in when out of possession and scoring goals ( more than 1) when on top. However, the most common trend is sideways and backwards passing followed by unnecessary loss of possession and one ball from opposition has us in all sorts of problems.
We need some quality additions, and possibly a few sales, but more than anything players in their correct positions.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
My expectation is that we won’t win many more games and it will be between us and Fulham for the last relegation spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My expectation is that I am entertained, it really is that simple. Whilst this season has been off the scales on the frustration front, I look forward to every game and enjoy nearly all of them, lose or draw. I am enjoying the ride and very aware that we may have reached our zenith.

If we were stuck at Withdean or a smaller Amex I would accept mediocrity - indeed in the 40 years of watching the Albion we have been bang average most of the time. However with our shiny 30,000+ stadium & Academy now that we are in our 4th campaign in the top flight I would have expected the club to have invested in a half decent forward by now. We have struggled up front ever since promoted & last season stayed up by the skin of our teeth. Not to have moved forward with Murray moving on - is frankly asking for relegation. We are very fortunate that WBA & Sheffield Utd look worse than us (though we can’t beat them!). Fulham won’t have to do too much to overhaul us.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I agree with a lot of the o/p.... Yes I would rather support Brighton than some big club that has a Corporate Asian owner . We all love our club which has always flattered to deceive, being on the cusp of something then letting us down. Perfidious Albion indeed.
However by now we should have established ourselves in The Prem. , not be always bumping along the bottom. It is not only about money. Burnley are struggling this year but have been mid table to top ten until now ...that with a forward we felt was not good enough for Albion. Leicester actually won the League with an inexpensive squad, having found a gem in Jamie Vardy.

As for Mr Potter? I want him to succeed but I find it hard to believe that he will. His ideas are right in theory but does he have the players to carry them out.?
Can he motivate his team? He may be different off screen but in interviews he comes over as a wet lettuce.... That annoys a lot of fans.
Anyway we have him no matter what we say ... so it is on to the next battle v, Wolves. Hoping for the best . :albion2:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If we were stuck at Withdean or a smaller Amex I would accept mediocrity - indeed in the 40 years of watching the Albion we have been bang average most of the time. However with our shiny 30,000+ stadium & Academy now that we are in our 4th campaign in the top flight I would have expected the club to have invested in a half decent forward by now. We have struggled up front ever since promoted & last season stayed up by the skin of our teeth. Not to have moved forward with Murray moving on - is frankly asking for relegation. We are very fortunate that WBA & Sheffield Utd look worse than us (though we can’t beat them!). Fulham won’t have to do too much to overhaul us.

Shouldn't this be on the 'Entitled fanbase thread'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here