Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player recruitment has been THE failing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TB made the strategic decision, with his recruitment/analytical team, to avoid expensive tried n tested EPL players, players who’d break our modest (by EPL standards) pay structure. We’ve dabbled in the Dutch League with huge imho blunders. Both CH and GP have been hamstrung with squads lacking in key areas.

Or putting it another, which of the following players would be chased by EPL clubs should we drop next summer?:

Propper
Burn
Gross
Jahanbakhsh
Ryan
Bernardo

I’d venture, none.

Recruitment has just also been mentioned on Amazon as our failing.

Whether or not Potter is sacked, we have some substandard players in and around our first team, not good enough in their roles by a long way. The club took the punt and it’s failing - 3.5 years on a knife edge battling relegation.

They need to act in early January.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having a playing style seemingly so heavily reliant on wingbacks and a squad with no recognized wingbacks might be a bit of a snaffoo.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bloom made another blunder by giving Potter a 5 year contract. It's not really the fault of "the Club" is it? Bloom is the ultimate decision taker, it's his club and I reckon he'll act sooner rather than later, despite the expense. Or at least I hope he does.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Propper is a class player, first game back this season. Several of the others are no where near good enough and shouldn't be picked, but are, as we try and mix things up, surprise the opposition etc. Burn, really? If i was Potter i wouldnt pick him, but his does, often, so thats at his door.

TB has the call to make, how much of this is recruitment and how much the coach. Neither are showered in glory, but the mess made of tonight is fairly damning.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Somewhat disagree. Our preferred formation is with wingbacks, and we only have 2 of any note. That is a recruitment failure, but we don’t know what went on before the scenes. Who knows what players didn’t quite get over the line. On paper it’s a decent squad, but Potter is blind-sighted by his preferred formation. He’s shoe-horning players wherever he can. Is that a recruitment issue or a manager who lacks a plan B?

Actually scratch decent. I think it’s the best squad in the 4 years in the prem.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
It always feels like we’re so close. Couple of times tonight MacAllister was in a great position and went for glory instead of putting it on a plate for someone else. Literally one pass, one decisive shot and it would have been 1:0 HT, but one lapse in defence costs us dear again. Not convinced it is Potters fault, although not playing Welbeck or Maupay from the start is baffling. Still Potter in but only just. Something needs to give in January. Either Potter OUT or striker IN. If we do nothing we could be in trouble.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Bloom made another blunder by giving Potter a 5 year contract. It's not really the fault of "the Club" is it? Bloom is the ultimate decision taker, it's his club and I reckon he'll act sooner rather than later, despite the expense. Or at least I hope he does.

Too right.

Easy to have a pop at "recruitment".

They've followed the strategy they've been told to, with the budget they've been given.

The "fault" lies at the door of Tony Bloom...... then again, he's the reason why we're here in the first place.

Can he correct his mistake?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Somewhat disagree. Our preferred formation is with wingbacks, and we only have 2 of any note. That is a recruitment failure, but we don’t know what went on before the scenes. Who knows what players didn’t quite get over the line. On paper it’s a decent squad, but Potter is blind-sighted by his preferred formation. He’s shoe-horning players wherever he can. Is that a recruitment issue or a manager who lacks a plan B?

Actually scratch decent. I think it’s the best squad in the 4 years in the prem.

Weststander I usually agree with most of what you write, but I'm more inclined to support Luke's view here. At the end of the day Potter has gone through periods where he's done a lot better with this current squad of players. The club have only added to the squad with the likes of Lallana, Lamptey (at the end of last year) and Welbeck since our great run at the end of last season, and we began this season looking excellent. Potter has a plethora of players (albeit of similar skillsets) and he still can't decide what his best 11 is.

Our only hope, whoever the manager is, is that Bissouma stays and Lamptey gets fit quickly.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Turns out trying to do the Premier League on the cheap doesn't work

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hard to argue with any of the OPs points. January will be make it break for our season IMO. We need to shift the players that aren’t in Potter’s plans and invest in a striker who can score and another right wing back who can step in during Lamptey’s absence. We look well below par without March and Lamptey on the pitch. Not having back ups in these positions when it is crucial to how we play, is frankly mental.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
TB made the strategic decision, with his recruitment/analytical team, to avoid expensive tried n tested EPL players, players who’d break our modest (by EPL standards) pay structure. We’ve dabbled in the Dutch League with huge imho blunders. Both CH and GP have been hamstrung with squads lacking in key areas.

Or putting it another, which of the following players would be chased by EPL clubs should we drop next summer?:

Propper
Burn
Gross
Jahanbakhsh
Ryan
Bernardo

I’d venture, none.

Recruitment has just also been mentioned on Amazon as our failing.

Whether or not Potter is sacked, we have some substandard players in and around our first team, not good enough in their roles by a long way. The club took the punt and it’s failing - 3.5 years on a knife edge battling relegation.

They need to act in early January.

Hughton had the same problem, the problem is the budget....

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Unfortunately if you play an expansive style you need quality players and we are getting found out time and time again and are now an easy touch.
Potter seems an idealist and needs to be more pragmatic, organised and willing to focus more on set pieces. Will that happen, I don’t think so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here