Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over 50,000 positive tests today.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I can't imagine that the return of university students to campus can safely go ahead without mass testing. Even then what's the point of travelling back to be effectively confined? We saw a huge spike in infections last September when Uni students started term.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Another 50,000 cases today and nearly 1,000 deaths. Which makes today's new tiers announcements even more pathetic, don't go anywhere near far enough. What we needed was a tier 5 and the whole country into that tier indefinitely.

Do you think they’ll ever get anything right?
Ever?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Do you think they’ll ever get anything right?
Ever?

No too slow to do anything meaningful, they have missed the boat on pretty much every occasion.

The leave it to the last second school fiasco is yet another example of their dithering!

Now, judging by the tone of the press conference and interview with Robert Peston, they are going to **** up the roll out of the vaccine...!

The incompetence is almost unbelievable.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As far as I am aware I am expected to do contact teaching at a major university in London in January. I told my HoD I wouldn't do it 'unless safe', after having encountered staff without masks and having a student wearing no mask barge past me on a staircase when I last came in, in early December. My HoD's response was 'well that differs from my experience' as if I just encountered an unlucky day, or was 'mistaken'. Pathetic passive-agressive bollocks.

Sadly a HoD of a university department these days isn't an independent minded academic, but someone with lots of energy who does the bidding of the adminstrators (a mix of 'senior' academics and highly paid people with a business background). If the government is saying 'keep the students at uni' then that's what these people will do. They can't make me or anyone else come in to teach but they can tell me that 'it is expected that you will come in and teach with adequate provision made to ensure social distancing'. I have to get a train up from Faversham and a tube from the mainline station to my places of work (I have two). And when I arrive I find people dicking about like it's just another day. And I'm made to feel I'm letting the side down if I say 'once bitten, twice shy'? ???

The irony is 90% of teaching is being done online and the small amounts of token contact teaching is being done just so we can say that students had a 'different' and 'less than ideal' experience this year, but you were all on campus so, no, you can't have your money back. I think the argument for keeping actual schools open is different (partly babysitting so the parents can go to work, and partly to mitigate against poorer neglected children doing no work if kept at home; societal issues, actually and not essential for education if online teaching could be set up properly, and there is no reason why it cannot).

But all in all, it is the dithering, plan changing ****aboutery, that is the real problem. A new plan every few weeks. People can't just drop their job if kids are suddenly sent home from school

Be careful out there people, and if you are working in education don't be bullied or blackmailed into putting yourself or elderly family members at risk; I gather there is a call to put teachers at the front of the vaccine queue - that seems a smart move if correct.

Stay well my friend!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Another 50,000 cases today and nearly 1,000 deaths. Which makes today's new tiers announcements even more pathetic, don't go anywhere near far enough. What we needed was a tier 5 and the whole country into that tier indefinitely.
The big increase in deaths reported today isn't because there was a big increase in deaths today; it was because the registrations offices were closed over Christmas. The number of deaths is fairly steady at present. Whether it will remain so, I doubt.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The big increase in deaths reported today isn't because there was a big increase in deaths today; it was because the registrations offices were closed over Christmas. The number of deaths is fairly steady at present. Whether it will remain so, I doubt.

Unfortunately as night flows day, 50,000 cases = 1,250 - 1,500 deaths

Every day

What an absolute shambles this lot are

Why are they so scared of saying “lockdown”?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Can you pass on your scientific expertise to the Spanish? Over here they believe that wearing masks outside does reduce transmission and is therefore mandatory.

And was here for many months until recently. We did actually eliminate the virus here for a while but we now have a small number of cases due to the cluster in Sydney. Therefore masks are back on the agenda. HOPEFULLY we have acted early enough and tough enough to close this one down pretty quick. But that is due to people actually DOING the right thing rather than just talking about it. The rules here today said masks indoors were mandatory from 5pm (excludes your own home), by 2pm everyone was wearing them in the street, different mentality.

Good luck everyone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And was here for many months until recently. We did actually eliminate the virus here for a while but we now have a small number of cases due to the cluster in Sydney. Therefore masks are back on the agenda. HOPEFULLY we have acted early enough and tough enough to close this one down pretty quick. But that is due to people actually DOING the right thing rather than just talking about it. The rules here today said masks indoors were mandatory from 5pm (excludes your own home), by 2pm everyone was wearing them in the street, different mentality.

Good luck everyone.

Yep, we (Britain) have a massive attitude problem over all this. Far too many people look at the guidance and restrictions and work out how they can go right to (or beyond) the edge of them or skirt around them - and then blame Boris, SAGE or whoever for the number of deaths rather than their own stupidity and selfishness - instead of doing the right/sensible thing and limit the risks of transmission.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Central Lake District was absolutely packed yesterday. I was at one car park having my tea break when a car with two Liverpudlian lads arrived. Fine. Then another turned up - they all got out and hugged and backslapped, obviously a sort of reunion involving a day out in the fells. But then another three cars all arrived, each carrying two lads - the ten of them engaged on a mass hugging, matey backslapping exercise.

It's no wonder this spreads the way it does - not only did these lads not need to get so close to each other, but they then set off along a busy footpath in a big gang - making it impossible to avoid them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Central Lake District was absolutely packed yesterday. I was at one car park having my tea break when a car with two Liverpudlian lads arrived. Fine. Then another turned up - they all got out and hugged and backslapped, obviously a sort of reunion involving a day out in the fells. But then another three cars all arrived, each carrying two lads - the ten of them engaged on a mass hugging, matey backslapping exercise.

It's no wonder this spreads the way it does - not only did these lads not need to get so close to each other, but they then set off along a busy footpath in a big gang - making it impossible to avoid them.

A scene being repeated at beauty spots everywhere, sadly. Despite the guidance on travelling (ie stay local), people are interpreting this to mean they can drive pretty much anywhere to ‘exercise’, and then meet in groups.

I popped out and did a bit of fishing yesterday (on my own, and 10 mins walk from home before anyone asks [emoji23]) - the lake is in a nature reserve. I’ve never seen so many people in it - and several large groups ambling around clearly not single households. People are also driving quite a way to come to it (to the extent parking places are overfilling).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I have a family member who is a doctor in London - and they were saying that yesterday they had never seen anything like how the hospital was completely overrun with patients (both covid and then impacting on the care of non-covid patients).

Ireland has had this for years because of gross under-investment in the health service and the dominance of private health insurance.

Unfortunately, covid cases are going to continue to increase because of the approach of the Tories (and their equivalent in Ireland) - a lot of people are going to get sick and to die in the coming weeks.

While the vaccine will help - the real solution is wearing masks, social distancing and forget about profit making until the pandemic is under complete control.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Can you pass on your scientific expertise to the Spanish? Over here they believe that wearing masks outside does reduce transmission and is therefore mandatory.

The day I can go out for a walk without a mask is going to be effing brilliant.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't imagine that the return of university students to campus can safely go ahead without mass testing. Even then what's the point of travelling back to be effectively confined? We saw a huge spike in infections last September when Uni students started term.

University students' return is being delayed and staggered. There was a testing regime set up prior to their return over the Christmas holidays, and there is one in place for their return. These weren't in place in September, but they are now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
University students' return is being delayed and staggered. There was a testing regime set up prior to their return over the Christmas holidays, and there is one in place for their return. These weren't in place in September, but they are now.

My granddaughter's uni did stagger admissions in September, and tested them.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
I have a family member who is a doctor in London - and they were saying that yesterday they had never seen anything like how the hospital was completely overrun with patients (both covid and then impacting on the care of non-covid patients).

I'm reading reports that cancer paitents are having to have urgent operations cancelled.

What happened to all the nightingale hospitals? are they all full up? Weren't they meant to be built to stop this happening?

And people have already died directly from the Tories handling of this. Sending infected patients into care homes turned out not to be the best idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here