Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Yellow cards

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Any player earning five bookings from their side's first 19 Premier League matches will serve a one-match ban in the same competition. Yellow cards are not carried over to the EFL Cup or FA Cup

Edit beat me to it

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Even then it doesn't 'go back to 0'. They still carry forward the number of yellow cards they've received, but the limit is then raised to 10 before match 32, and if they get there - it's a two match ban (then 15/3 by the end of the season).

So, for instance, Dunk won't go back to 0, he'll stay on 3. But if he then gets to five (after 19 games) nothing happens (until he gets to 10) - so in effect he then has to get 7 more bookings, not reset to getting five more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The cut-off is at 19 games.

Bissouma on 4, Dunk on 3 and Burn, Lamptey and White on 2.

We are such a dirty team aren’t we? I watch games where players consistently foul but don’t get booked, we seem to get booked for looking at players the wrong way. I may be biased :shrug:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
We are such a dirty team aren’t we? I watch games where players consistently foul but don’t get booked, we seem to get booked for looking at players the wrong way. I may be biased :shrug:

I think players should get a ban for falling over theatrically......or driving like a ****

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I thought we'd got a lot of yellow cards too but we are currently on 20, which is joint 16th. Leicester lead the way with 33. We are joint top of the red card table with Arsenal though after 3 red cards.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Biss to boot someone in the air in the 93rd minute today I reckon. Failing that using a suitable anatomical reference to describe the referee, 2 yards from his face

He'll probably benefit from rotation anyway given the amount of energy he uses and the number of games he's played, may as well get the suspension out of the way

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Biss to boot someone in the air in the 93rd minute today I reckon. Failing that using a suitable anatomical reference to describe the referee, 2 yards from his face

He'll probably benefit from rotation anyway given the amount of energy he uses and the number of games he's played, may as well get the suspension out of the way

I would rather have him suspended against City than against Wolves

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I'd rather he missed Man City away than Wolves at home though. So, let's hope he doesn't get booked today.

edit - I see Swansman beat me to it whilst I was looking up the rules to see if suspensions from the EPL could still be 'used up' by missing cup games now (no).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Even then it doesn't 'go back to 0'. They still carry forward the number of yellow cards they've received, but the limit is then raised to 10 before match 32, and if they get there - it's a two match ban (then 15/3 by the end of the season).

So, for instance, Dunk won't go back to 0, he'll stay on 3. But if he then gets to five (after 19 games) nothing happens (until he gets to 10) - so in effect he then has to get 7 more bookings, not reset to getting five more.

Is it not still a one-match ban if they get to 10 after 32 provided that they haven't already served a one-match ban for reaching 5 after 19, or have the rules changed on this?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd rather he missed Man City away than Wolves at home though. So, let's hope he doesn't get booked today.

edit - I see Swansman beat me to it whilst I was looking up the rules to see if suspensions from the EPL could still be 'used up' by missing cup games now (no).

Are you sure? They must’ve changed he rules mid season then as he used up 2 games of his 3 match suspension from the red card against Newcastle with League Cup games in consecutive weeks, so only missed the Man Utd league game.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Are you sure? They must’ve changed he rules mid season then as he used up 2 games of his 3 match suspension from the red card against Newcastle with League Cup games in consecutive weeks, so only missed the Man Utd league game.

Yes - you're right, that did happen didn't it. The FA guidance says that the cards only count in your relevant league (below). But what I think they mean is that if you get four yellows in the league and one in the cup - it doesn't make five. But if you do get five in the league then as you say, presumably the suspension is for all competitions, not just the league. Bit confusing wording though!

In which case - definitely hold off getting booked till the Wolves game, then he'll only miss Newport - which he probably wouldn't be playing in anyway.

Accumulating five, ten, fifteen or twenty Yellow Cards in league matches can result in an automatic ban in your relevant league

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here