Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Roy Hodgson's apoplectic half time talk

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson said it took an "apoplectic" half-time team talk from assistant boss Ray Lewington to spark them into life in Monday's draw with Leicester."

Something we are missing I feel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hodgson doesn't have it in him to do it himself. I expect he had a good view from his rocking chair.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Apoplectic half-time team talks are a thing of the past.

Besides, once Mr Potter has taken the register and handed back the homework there's no time anyway.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Friend of mine is a Palace STH (I know!) and he reckons if fans were allowed in Hodgson would be gone by now, most fans he knows want him out, the football is dire and they’re fed up with it, he fully admits that their league position is false.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

It's no laughing matter. The reason Maty Ryan has gone awol is because Potter told him that after his perfromance at Leicester he'd have to play at Fulham in his vest and pants.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson said it took an "apoplectic" half-time team talk from assistant boss Ray Lewington to spark them into life in Monday's draw with Leicester."

It happens when needed.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45965055

"The first half was nowhere near good enough and the gaffer has let us know that," said McBurnie.

"He's given us the harsh words we needed and you could see we were a different team in the second half.

"I can vouch that it was the angriest I have seen him.

"He doesn't usually go off like that at all since I've known him.

"But I remember speaking to [assistant manager] Billy Reid when they first came in and he told me he [Potter] is a nice guy, but watch when he does lose his head because he can go off.

"Now I believe what Billy said!

"It was nothing that was not deserved. There were a few harsh words that were needed at that time and they got the reaction he wanted.

"We could have scored a few more and if any of the boys would like to pass to me, that would be nice!"

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I find the idea of an apoplectic half time team talk quite funny .... Mike Bassett is a funny film ....but how much difference is it going to make to the levels of motivation a players has?

The player is hardly likely to be in physical fear of the manager.

Virtually every player's biggest fear is being subbed or dropped. It's the biggest tool in a managers kit. For instances of lack of effort, failing to follow game plan, an effective manager should fearlessly drop senior players, even at the risk of harming the team in the short term

For instances of poor form, I really don't see why shouting at the team or a player is going to help. If a concert violist is off key in the first part of a concierto, the conductor shouting at them at the interval isn't what's going to make them play better in the second half.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

How do you know that? Have you been in the dressing room at half time for our games then? Do you think Billy Reid is not capable of doing this?

And why do you feel the players would react well to an “apoplectic” half time team talk anyway?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it not a sign of last chance saloon with a short shelf life with nowhere else to go?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Hodgson doesn't have it in him to do it himself. I expect he had a good view from his rocking chair.

Oh he does - I recall seeing an outtake of him berating a journo in which every other word was f**k, his voice was raised way above normal, his face had turned bright red, he was sweating profusely and his head was in danger of exploding. Not an attractive sight it has to be said - but he did lose it!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can't understand why the policy of shouting and screaming at people, with perhaps threats of physical violence thrown in, seems to have lost favour.

Probably due to snowflake culture.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It happens when needed.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45965055

"The first half was nowhere near good enough and the gaffer has let us know that," said McBurnie.

"He's given us the harsh words we needed and you could see we were a different team in the second half.

"I can vouch that it was the angriest I have seen him.

"He doesn't usually go off like that at all since I've known him.

"But I remember speaking to [assistant manager] Billy Reid when they first came in and he told me he [Potter] is a nice guy, but watch when he does lose his head because he can go off.

"Now I believe what Billy said!

"It was nothing that was not deserved. There were a few harsh words that were needed at that time and they got the reaction he wanted.

"We could have scored a few more and if any of the boys would like to pass to me, that would be nice!"

The look on his face at full time on Sunday told me he was ready to fire a few f*cks into the team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't understand why the policy of shouting and screaming at people, with perhaps threats of physical violence thrown in, seems to have lost favour.

Probably due to snowflake culture.

"And you can pair up if you like, and you can f**king pick someone else to help you, and you can bring your ****ing dinner. 'Cos by the time I've finished with you, you'll f**king need it."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here