Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Anyone use fontforge/fontlint?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Hi,

Apologies in advance as the terminology I use below may be incorrect, but hopefully you'll get the gist.

I need to analyse the Google Fonts NotoSansJP and Noto Sans. I'm working on a project using Japanese text where the text is rendering incorrectly. For a previous font my client produced a report using fontlint that indicated some issues with the mapping of glyphs.

Does that make sense to anybody?

Thanks in advance.
UTA.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This place normally comes up trumps for most questions, I’ve a bit about me when if comes to fonts, however, I’ve never got involved with anything outside your regular Cyrillic type letter sets.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As always when the age old thorny battleground of fonts and typefaces rears its ugly head and rips NSC to pieces, in a bloodbath of contempt and humiliation.
I have to side with Doves Type, my purity always wins.

Be safe people - don't let this thread ruin our years of hard work, like the last time.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Sorry for not replying sooner, I was on a fonts message board discussing our inability to defend set pieces.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Hi,

Apologies in advance as the terminology I use below may be incorrect, but hopefully you'll get the gist.

I need to analyse the Google Fonts NotoSansJP and Noto Sans. I'm working on a project using Japanese text where the text is rendering incorrectly. For a previous font my client produced a report using fontlint that indicated some issues with the mapping of glyphs.

Does that make sense to anybody?

Thanks in advance.
UTA.

1. I am not a font expert
2. You give no context as to how you are trying to use these fonts (a web page, an app you are developing, something else?)
3. You give no ideas about how you are trying to use them

Having said the above, try the links below and see if they help -

https://publishing-project.rivendellweb.net/noto-fonts-same-family-multiple-languages/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31725115/filling-in-missing-glyphs-in-fonts-with-fontforge

https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-cjk/issues/89

https://www.google.com/get/noto/help/guidelines/

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
As always when the age old thorny battleground of fonts and typefaces rears its ugly head and rips NSC to pieces, in a bloodbath of contempt and humiliation.
I have to side with Doves Type, my purity always wins.

Be safe people - don't let this thread ruin our years of hard work, like the last time.

🎃 €𝐱卂ςŤĻ𝓨 ☯♢ :thumbsup:

matt

Mar 19, 2007
1. I am not a font expert
2. You give no context as to how you are trying to use these fonts (a web page, an app you are developing, something else?)
3. You give no ideas about how you are trying to use them

The content is xhtml within an ePUB file that is being viewed through the client's own web-based reader platform. The issue does not occur when the xhtml files are viewed directly through a browser.

The content is being rendered vertically, right to left, top to bottom.

The specific issue is that when there is a punctuation character as the last character in a column, the character is being displayed at the top rather than the bottom of the column. For example:

a
b
c
d

is being displayed as:

a
b
c
d

Adding an additional character after the '.' stops this behaviour, adding a space/nbsp does not.

Does that help?

Thanks (y)

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Impossible to say for sure, but you have xhtml (which displays correctly in a browser), ePub and their own in-house viewer. I suspect that at least one of the latter two is not following accepted guidelines.

A half-em space after a full stop at the end of a column of characters is the recommended system - see

https://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/?lang=en#positioning_of_closing_brackets_full_stops_commas_and_middle_dots_at_line_end

I have no idea if the ePub software or the in-house viewer are aware of and followng these conventions.

You have found a workaround (2x full stops), which is easy enough to do with a bit of search and replace, I imagine. Alternatively, inset a half em space after every full stop - this will not distort the text flow if you are looking to use a single body of text across multiple languages?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Impossible to say for sure, but you have xhtml (which displays correctly in a browser), ePub and their own in-house viewer. I suspect that at least one of the latter two is not following accepted guidelines.

A half-em space after a full stop at the end of a column of characters is the recommended system - see

https://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/?lang=en#positioning_of_closing_brackets_full_stops_commas_and_middle_dots_at_line_end

I have no idea if the ePub software or the in-house viewer are aware of and followng these conventions.

You have found a workaround (2x full stops), which is easy enough to do with a bit of search and replace, I imagine. Alternatively, inset a half em space after every full stop - this will not distort the text flow if you are looking to use a single body of text across multiple languages?

Thanks for the suggestions. The en space doesn't work, which is a shame as that would be very straightforward.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
@BG is your man for this kind of problem ....

Oh, wait, the wise man of tech is sadly no longer with us - no idea who is the BG young apprentice on here now.
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] seems to have an answer for everything, perhaps the trousers might fit?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
@BG is your man for this kind of problem ....

Oh, wait, the wise man of tech is sadly no longer with us - no idea who is the BG young apprentice on here now.
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] seems to have an answer for everything, perhaps the trousers might fit?

... I know a bit of Frontpage if that helps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here