Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Handball

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Pundits said live Dunks was hand ball and when goal given said VAR used common sense. Just looked up rule and said arm and hand had to be away from body which Dunks wasnt. If that was case cant understand why at the time they thought it was

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Seen it some 20 times even close up and still don’t believe it hit his arm/hand.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was of the impression if the contact led directly to a goal, 'natural position' & 'away from the body' no longer comes into it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Probably, but not definitely, it touched his arm. Not sure there's enough evidence to overturn it.

Irrespective of what the law is, the law should be that's not a handball, he couldn't do any more not to handball it. Get on with the game. If we conceded that i'd be saying the same.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Seen it some 20 times even close up and still don’t believe it hit his arm/hand.

Initially I thought it was handball but then convinced myself it was ok after seeing it about 6 times. Then I saw a zoomed in clip of the incident and Dunk’s forearm arm clearing vibrates as the ball travels away from him, so am now convinced it clipped his arm. This can only be seen when the footage is zoomed in. Technically it is handball, so by the letter of the law as it stands, the goal should be ruled out. However I suspect most fans don’t want goals chalked off because of very slight / incidental handballs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not sure if the vibration of his arm was as a result of contact or it hitting his chest. Either way I'd be happy if it had been a goal for either team.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Hand ball rule needs changing Nobody apart from those at top want hand ball given for just hitting arm.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Even Bobby Zamora said he thought it should have been disallowed. It's ridiculous there was even a conversation about it. Clear goal, no problems and even the officials got it right.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Not for a goal, any touch of the arm in the buildup is given?
But, it also did not hit his arm so what's the issue. You can't see it does from the replays either. I think some fans and the pundits are trying to make VAR controversy where there is none. It did its job fine.

It’s job being ruining the spontaneous joy of seeing your team score?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
From Dunk's reaction to the goal he looked like he was thinking it might get disallowed. Either that or he was thinking we'll probably make a mess of defending a corner in a minute.

Anyway, doesn't matter now.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Pundits said live Dunks was hand ball and when goal given said VAR used common sense. Just looked up rule and said arm and hand had to be away from body which Dunks wasnt. If that was case cant understand why at the time they thought it was

Different rules for attacking / defending situations. It attacking the rules are “ If an attacking player accidentally touches the ball with their hand or arm and then scores a goal, or the ball goes to another attacking player and they immediately score, this is a handball offence”

It should have been ruled out. The rules are daft as they are.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1820123

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
It’s job being ruining the spontaneous joy of seeing your team score?

Another reason that fans feel they are being sidelined from the game they love, and how they feel frustrated about watching football now.

We can't vent our frustrations with VAR in the stands now which we could and did when we attended games prior to the Covid era.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here