Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Out of confidence or just lazy?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Our attack that is. I know the focus is on the defending and us scoring twice today and not missing any sitters must seem unbelievable. But the attacking was actually dreadful again today. One thing that struck me was the utterly appalling movement all day. It was like playing table football. Players making absolutely no effort to move for anything whatsoever.

There were many examples of this, but the one that stood out to me the most was about half an hour in, when march was set through by a brilliant pass from bissouma, and ends up having to take a speculative shot from a ridiculous angle, because nobody is in any sort of proximity to him. The replay cuts to maupay and welbeck about thirty paces behind, looking like they'd both just woken up from a nap, and making absolutely no effort to get involved. So many times today the midfield had the ball in the final third, and ended up having to pass it back as again, there was no movement from any of maupay, trossard or welbeck.

And the most annoying thing is that there was points in the game where movement was made, strikers did make runs, and that was when we looked our most dangerous. And it was that anticipation, being in the right areas, that have us our goal. But it didn't happen nearly enough.

Now, you have to ask why that is. Is it a confidence issue? We're 20th in the league for shooting accuracy, so I can understand why the players may feel a bit reluctant to try things, but without that anticipation you're never going to score goals in the PL. Or is it just a question of laziness? The amount of times I looked at maupay/trossard today and just thought "their heart's aren't in it" was honestly worrying. Goal aside, we looked absolutely toothless again today. EVERY break forward, people were just jogging, nobody busting a gut to get on the end of anything, everybody ball watching. The passing too, no precision with anything, utterly utterly sloppy. No urgency about anything. Are they out of confidence or just lazy?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Our attack that is. I know the focus is on the defending and us scoring twice today and not missing any sitters must seem unbelievable. But the attacking was actually dreadful again today. One thing that struck me was the utterly appalling movement all day. It was like playing table football. Players making absolutely no effort to move for anything whatsoever.

There were many examples of this, but the one that stood out to me the most was about half an hour in, when march was set through by a brilliant pass from bissouma, and ends up having to take a speculative shot from a ridiculous angle, because nobody is in any sort of proximity to him. The replay cuts to maupay and welbeck about thirty paces behind, looking like they'd both just woken up from a nap, and making absolutely no effort to get involved. So many times today the midfield had the ball in the final third, and ended up having to pass it back as again, there was no movement from any of maupay, trossard or welbeck.

And the most annoying thing is that there was points in the game where movement was made, strikers did make runs, and that was when we looked our most dangerous. And it was that anticipation, being in the right areas, that have us our goal. But it didn't happen nearly enough.

Now, you have to ask why that is. Is it a confidence issue? We're 20th in the league for shooting accuracy, so I can understand why the players may feel a bit reluctant to try things, but without that anticipation you're never going to score goals in the PL. Or is it just a question of laziness? The amount of times I loo ked at maupay/trossard today and just thought "their heart's aren't in it" was honestly worrying. Goal aside, we looked absolutely toothless again today. EVERY break forward, people were just jogging, nobody busting a gut to get on the end of anything, everybody ball watching. The passing too, no precision with anything, utterly utterly sloppy. No urgency about anything. Are they out of confidence or just lazy?
off

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
2-1 down to Southampton, the first minute of added time ticking away, we intercept and turnover possession, and March runs upfield, and has to wait. And wait and wait. Two minutes later, still losing, in the last minute of added time ebbing away we have a throw that is sent back toward the defence, to casually pass across the field to the other side.

I don't know if it's confidence, or attitude.

SoggyCabbages

Mar 29, 2019
You don't need confidence to run forward and try to be available to receive some kind of ball. It's either being given bad instrucitons/coaching or lacking in natural quality.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
To add insult to injury, Neville goes and gives Maupay MOM, ffs the Premier League is well and truly ****ed up.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Defence was shocking today

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It must be a combination, confidence low, laziness shouldn't come into it but maybe a lack of desire, or the way theyre being coached. To get in good positions going forward and a winger be confronted with an empty box is criminal.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Wether it is either no confidence or laziness it is Potter's job as head coach to get the best out of them. He isn't managing to do that so far this season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Might 'of' all been different if Welbeck hadn't BALLOONED one over the bar very earlydoors when it would 'of' been just as easy to score :rolleyes:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
2-1 down to Southampton, the first minute of added time ticking away, we intercept and turnover possession, and March runs upfield, and has to wait. And wait and wait. Two minutes later, still losing, in the last minute of added time ebbing away we have a throw that is sent back toward the defence, to casually pass across the field to the other side.

I don't know if it's confidence, or attitude.

Its attitude. We play at the same tempo almost all the time. We spend the majority of our time playing harmless football in front of the opposition. No variance. No ability to change tactics. We have a one-trick pony for manager. We are easy to play against and easy to score against.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I don't think it's either. In the championship on these performances we'd win norwich type scores most weeks(5-0 for the plastics)....but this is the premier league with premier league type defences. We're not currently able to break the bank on £40m strikers, so we make do with what we can afford.
We are not a top six side. oh sorry, I forgot the modern hashtag thing.
#We are not a top six side

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Defence was shocking today

Its been shocking all season. We have just as many problems at the back as we do going forward. White, Webster and Dunk are the least convincing back four in the whole division. I expect us to concede at every set piece, such is our inability to pick up attackers. Coupled with mistakes every game at the back and its a recipe for relegation.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Half the team consistently put in the required effort. 4 or 5 cruise through it. If they all performed flat-out to their potential, we’d be a very good side. As they don’t, we can’t get over the line. Some heads need to be banged together.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't think it's either. In the championship on these performances we'd win norwich type scores most weeks(5-0 for the plastics)....but this is the premier league with premier league type defences. We're not currently able to break the bank on £40m strikers, so we make do with what we can afford.
We are not a top six side. oh sorry, I forgot the modern hashtag thing.
#We are not a top six side

We are not a top fifteen side.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Over confident or lazy? How about, not good enough?

Welbeck has never scored a lot at this level.

Welbeck has looked sharp in previous games, Maupay looked a threat in most games last season. They've gone so far backwards, I'm not sure it's a question of ability

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here