Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] After 14 games, Albion's four Premier League seasons

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've not done this for a few games, primarily because the result isn't particularly cheery.

Anyway, here's how the 2020/21 campaign stacks up against Albion's prior Premier League seasons at the same stage.

(Green = best, red = worst)

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 22.02.08.png

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Though damning on many fronts, the most startling regression for me are the goals conceded since our first season in the Prem.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
How interesting, we've actually not gone backwards in terms of goals scored this season on the face of it. Would be interesting to know how our conversion rate this season stacks up against previous campaigns. Again, this is why I don't think the issue is as simple as 'buy better strikers', though god knows it would definitely help. The goals conceded column is a worry, though that hasn't changed massively.

What has dropped substantially is the amount of wins, which does lead me to question how much the game management has potentially affected our results. It's not that we're not scoring goals, it just seems like we cannot do it in the crucial moments. Which is what bemuses me, because where do you start to fix that issue? Is it the mentality of the strikers, missing high-pressure, game changing chances? are they simply not good enough? or is the management keeping us from winning games? all this confirms to me is that our problems are multi-faceted, and it's not as simple as one quick fix

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sack G-Pott. Bring in Pards, or a Spaniard or German nobody has ever heard of.

The owner is also obviously an idiot and should go.

Thanks for providing the necessary statistics [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

If I have missed the point, feel free to set me right. I sometimes misunderstand the point, so I'm told :thumbsup:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Best look at the tracker thread for this season.

16 points is the benchmark at the halfway stage on the path to a 40 point finish.

ie. This season, in theory, has a much trickier 1st half than 2nd half.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How interesting, we've actually not gone backwards in terms of goals scored this season on the face of it. Would be interesting to know how our conversion rate this season stacks up against previous campaigns. Again, this is why I don't think the issue is as simple as 'buy better strikers', though god knows it would definitely help. The goals conceded column is a worry, though that hasn't changed massively.

What has dropped substantially is the amount of wins, which does lead me to question how much the game management has potentially affected our results. It's not that we're not scoring goals, it just seems like we cannot do it in the crucial moments. Which is what bemuses me, because where do you start to fix that issue? Is it the mentality of the strikers, missing high-pressure, game changing chances? are they simply not good enough? or is the management keeping us from winning games? all this confirms to me is that our problems are multi-faceted, and it's not as simple as one quick fix

Good points. We're not really losing more either, but failing to convert draws into wins. How different this would all look if we had managed to win the last two games.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've not done this for a few games, primarily because the result isn't particularly cheery.

Anyway, here's how the 2020/21 campaign stacks up against Albion's prior Premier League seasons at the same stage.

View attachment 131793

I’d be interested too in the number of clean sheets each season in the first 14 games.

To me we seem worse at shutting teams out ... but I could be wrong.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Though damning on many fronts, the most startling regression for me are the goals conceded since our first season in the Prem.

Agreed. Conceding just shy of 2 goals a game so far, it's hardly a major surprise that we've only won 2 matches. This worries me almost more than our failures at the other end.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Doesn't make for good viewing, but had last week's Sheff Utd shot not deflected off Webster's knee and the ref at Selhurst not given a ridiculous penalty against Lamptey, we'd be on par. Things are not going well, but its tiny margins and they are so close to going well, that we'd be stupid not to keep the faith (c) M. Adams.

https://experimental361.com/2020/12/26/scatter-graphics-premier-league-22-dec-2020/

The Stains pen when every pundit was emphatic the foul was outside the box.

ManU given excessive time by a wnkr of a referee.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

View attachment 131793

The comparison between 2018/19 and this season is interesting. In 18/19 we were incredibly lucky to pick up the wins we did and this season we have been incredibly unlucky not to win more.

The signs were all there in 18/19 that the luck couldn’t hold and as I said at the time I felt we were sleepwalking to relegation if we didn’t make changes and in the end stayed up by the skin of our teeth because there were three other truly awful sides. But we really did stink the division out that season, it was embarassing to watch.

This season the performances are very much there so I am confident the results will come. If you swapped the points around between 2018/2019 and this season, it would be a much truer reflection of our ability and performance levels.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

View attachment 131793

We’ve not gone backwards in terms of goals scored, but neither have we gone backwards dramatically in terms of goals conceded.

We are creating more chances (6th in league) but we are simply not putting them in the net.

It’s why I’ve maintained that our issue in all in finishing and not defending. Albion’s attacking coach needs to either a) up his game or b) make clear the personnel needed to play in games, and stick to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The comparison between 2018/19 and this season is interesting. In 18/19 we were incredibly lucky to pick up the wins we did and this season we have been incredibly unlucky not to win more.

The signs were all there in 18/19 that the luck couldn’t hold and as I said at the time I felt we were sleepwalking to relegation if we didn’t make changes and in the end stayed up by the skin of our teeth because there were three other truly awful sides. But we really did stink the division out that season, it was embarassing to watch.

This season the performances are very much there so I am confident the results will come. If you swapped the points around between 2018/2019 and this season, it would be a much truer reflection of our ability and performance levels.

Yes, but if we swapped the points for our 2016/17 season we’d be even better off

Is there some sort of rule against this, in which case why don’t we just do it?

Reasons for our dreadful goals against record are the tactics we play
Reasons for our lack of wins are the tactics we play
Reasons for our poor Goal Difference are the tactics we play
Reason for the tactics we play, is GP, who has been brought in to play those tactics, but who can’t get the players who can play them effectively

Bit like Sammy Hyppia, who tried to play expansive football but with the crappy players he had inherited

The difference with Sam mark 1, and Sam mark 2, is that the mark 2 version has had time to assemble a squad, although with relatively low funding

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here