Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] RIP John Edrich

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Legend when I was young. Remember him scoring big runs when we had a junior school outing to Windsor in the early 60s. Always stuck in my head and made me a sort of a benchmark for a top batsman. RIP JE, you have left us with great memories.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw this earlier, RIP John, a plucky, pugnacious little opening bat. I remember him staring down West Indies bowlers. Scored the first 4 in International One Day Cricket, and it was a beautuful clip off the front foot through square leg.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lucky indeed - I envy you that experience! RIP John - the last (as far as I know) of a formidable Edrich cricketing dynasty.

He was an old man (to me at the time anyway, I was only 22) but the class was very evident. I was seconded to work in Jersey and he played occasionally in the Jersey Cricket League - I’d joined a local team when I arrived.....think he was also working for a bank there at the time.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A hard man. Very under rated batsman, but an excellent record.

He scored ugly runs, but quite a lot of them.

Half of the oldest opening partnership for England in 1976 v West Indies at the Oval. Watch the video on You Tube. No helmet, flimsy protection, and Michael Holding at full bore aiming at his head. Terrifying to watch. The bowlers missed, but not by much.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A hard man. Very under rated batsman, but an excellent record.

He scored ugly runs, but quite a lot of them.

Half of the oldest opening partnership for England in 1976 v West Indies at the Oval. Watch the video on You Tube. No helmet, flimsy protection, and Michael Holding at full bore aiming at his head. Terrifying to watch. The bowlers missed, but not by much.

Him & David Steele The Bank Clerk who went to War..., Wasn't cricket as I like it, but then again I''m shite against pace!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Him & David Steele The Bank Clerk who went to War..., Wasn't cricket as I like it, but then again I''m shite against pace!

No shame in that....a very tiny % of batsmen aren’t spooked by real pace (even if they claim they’re not). Edrich was one of them, along with Close and Richards maybe.

I was.....give me a medium-pacer any day. True pace or decent spin and I was ****ed.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry

I suspect it was actually D B Close and John who were the opening pair with Steele maybe at 3 but could be wrong. It was certainly he and Close in the final test I think when they may have been the only ones to make double figures - what a series that was.

I remember Edrich opening with Boycott in the 60s/70s in those days when I smuggled a small transistor into my bed to listen to the tests in Australia during the night.

A doughty and pugnacious left hander - RIP John

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
....and robin jackmann today

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Blimey another one bites the dust. Robin Jackman has also died today. Must have been a teammate of Edrich at Surrey and played a few tests and one day games for England - RIP

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No shame in that....a very tiny % of batsmen aren’t spooked by real pace (even if they claim they’re not). Edrich was one of them, along with Close and Richards maybe.

I was.....give me a medium-pacer any day. True pace or decent spin and I was ****ed.

Taken out in 3 balls by a 15 year old pace bowler playing as a Senior vs. the Storrington Under 16s in my last innings, first took my pads, second my gloves, third off stump.

I predict he is going to be a good 'un in the future, never saw one of them! :mad:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ooh it’s a corner;9650313 said:
Blimey another one bites the dust. Robin Jackman has also died today. Must have been a teammate of Edrich at Surrey and played a few tests and one day games for England - RIP

They wouldn't have played Tests together (not sure about ODI) but they would have been in the same Surrey side for a decade, including the 1971 team.

Jackman was the catalyst for the dispute in the Windies in 1980 over his involvement in SA. I first remember him during the 1982 home series against Pakistan. I was just getting into cricket then so he made an impression. He wasn't selected after that although he was no spring chicken in fairness.

I guess Norman Cowans coming on the scene pushed him down the pecking order.

Last edited:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Always remember him surviving the tea session at the Oval against the Windies

Might have even been all day

At stumps the West Indian crowd invaded the pitch

And a young lad ran up to JE with an enormous fake cricket bat and gave it to him

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They wouldn't have played Tests together (not sure about ODI) but they would have been in the same Surrey side for a decade, including the 1971 team.

Jackman was the catalyst for the dispute in the Windies in 1980 over his involvement in SA. I first remember him during the 1982 home series against Pakistan. I was just getting into cricket then so he made an impression. He wasn't selected after that although he was no spring chicken in fairness.

I guess Norman Cowans coming on the scene pushed him down the pecking order.

The problem was that jackman, who was married to a South African, and played for western provinces and Rhodesia was seen very much a supporter of apartheid and the West Indians especially Guiana took exception to him playing for England in the West Indies.

Always enjoyed his commentary also.

Sad day for cricket

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
He retired to a place just up the road from where I own a timeshare in Scotland. Spent most of his time playing golf at the local club. Played a round there last year and it was awesome.

A lovely place to retire to and a great way to spend your last years.

RIP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here