Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Help, my central heating has died

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Woke up this morning and my central heating timer/controller has packed up, it won't switch heating or water on. I've managed to bypass it on the backplate so CH is on permanently but I guess I ned a new one.
The old one is a British Gas EMP2 :
DRAYTON-British-Gas-EMP2-EMP-2-Twin-Channel.jpg

I can get a new one from screwfix but there is a cheaper controller, here

Will the cheaper one work ok with my system (gravity fed system with a hot water cylinder) ?

Reason for cheapskatery is we're having the whole system renewed next year.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Woke up this morning and my central heating timer/controller has packed up, it won't switch heating or water on. I've managed to bypass it on the backplate so CH is on permanently but I guess I ned a new one.

Will the cheaper one work ok with my system (gravity fed system with a hot water cylinder) ?

I'm no expert, but my controller packed up earlier in the year. I left the CH off. If it's like mine and my old house, rather than leave the heating on permanently, you probably have a little switch box near the pump by the cylinder and you can switch then it on and off manually from there.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

First port of call thanks to NSC's technical geniuses. Alas it did not remedy the situation (neither did the other, usually reliable, "give it a whack")

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Looks like Brexit is kicking in...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here