Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Technophobia

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I may be alone here but just lately I have been finding modern technology just too much hard work.

Now I am no technophobe and I am in my forties so have grown up with it all but in recent months I have found the whole thing such a drag.

Passwords this. Access code that, link to Tv, link to phone, 2 factor authentication, it all is just getting on top of me. app for this app for that.

I have opted out of social media completely now in a push to try and get some breathing space back, but today my computer has gone wrong and it’s just the final straw! Now I have to try and recover everything from the depths of god knows where and fork out for a new one.

Even my phone is becoming a pain in the backside, nothing seems to work properly and everything is a full on effort.

Maybe I am just doing it all wrong but tech in general just seems to be adding problems to life rather solving them like they used to.

Even a tv isn’t just a tv these days.

I guess there comes a point in everyone’s life where the world outgrows them!

Merry Christmas!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh goodie a thread I can piggy-back, sorry.

I've been kicked out of an old login.
Much like NSC the Microsoft password reboot is linked to an old unuseable email account.
It turns my CV and current job spec is behind that password.

How can I sidestep all the usual protocols to open the account?

There's a job in IT I really like the look of.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Much like NSC the Microsoft password reboot is linked to an old unuseable email account.

MS themselves give you all the options that you can use - see
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/password-support-policy

Just scroll down the list to find the situation closest to yours and follow the instructions

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I may be alone here but just lately I have been finding modern technology just too much hard work.

Now I am no technophobe and I am in my forties so have grown up with it all but in recent months I have found the whole thing such a drag.

Passwords this. Access code that, link to Tv, link to phone, 2 factor authentication, it all is just getting on top of me. app for this app for that.

I have opted out of social media completely now in a push to try and get some breathing space back, but today my computer has gone wrong and it’s just the final straw! Now I have to try and recover everything from the depths of god knows where and fork out for a new one.

Even my phone is becoming a pain in the backside, nothing seems to work properly and everything is a full on effort.

Maybe I am just doing it all wrong but tech in general just seems to be adding problems to life rather solving them like they used to.

Even a tv isn’t just a tv these days.

I guess there comes a point in everyone’s life where the world outgrows them!

Merry Christmas!

Sorry to hear that things aren't working out well.

There are some very knowledgeable people here who may be able to assist wiyj your PC (even without BG's invaluable help) - but to do that you will need to supply a better description than 'my computer has gone wrong', I'm afraid.

Feel free to describe the problem if you wish. If you do, it is always helpful to state what version of Windows (or Mac or Linux) is on your PC, if you noticed any unusual behaviour or had any error messages etc before it 'went wrong'

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If you are using Chrome, did you check your Password settings page? (just put chrome://settings/passwords in the URL field)

Otherwise you might just need to email the support of the service you got kicked out of. A lot of times they could help you if your account is linked to some obsolete e-mail service. I had the same issue with my Blizzard account a few years ago, contacted their support and they simply linked my Blizzard account to my new email, no questions asked.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Is NSC not social media? I can understand your frustration I work in IT and it confuses me as times.
Be selective you don't have to use everything concentrate on a selective few rather than trying to cope with everything. Password managers can help but it is another level of complicity and just think of apps as simplified websites.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm convinced our old valve-based cathode-ray-tube TVs warmed up quicker than new all-singing-all-dancing TVs "boot up" and log in to whatever streaming service you use.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here