Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Give the current government a score out of 10 for their handling of COVID-19

How well do you think the current government have handled COVID-19 so far?

• 1/10

Votes: 74 20.4%
  • 2/10

Votes: 55 15.2%
  • 3/10

Votes: 80 22.0%
  • 4/10

Votes: 30 8.3%
  • 5/10

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 6/10

Votes: 37 10.2%
  • 7/10

Votes: 34 9.4%
  • 8/10

Votes: 24 6.6%
  • 9/10

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • 10/10

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just thought we needed another poll.

Actually, I thought it was interesting that someone claimed that

Most look at what the tories have done so far and will give them an 8/10

Just wondered if this was correct or not

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
They’ve earnt their Brownie badge this year.

7863ECF3-5992-4EC5-A00C-1AEE0C6F3638.jpeg

Last edited:

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Whatever we think of the current motley crew, this situation is not easy.

My view is that they were really slow out of the blocks but have done ok trying to balance the economics with health since. There won't be too many winners out of this (apart from Amazon maybe) and the world will be different no matter what.

5/10 from me

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I love watching how quickly certain threads disappear into the Bear Pit.

I voted 5, could do better but there is no guaranteed masterplan as far as I am concerned.

Too many seem to think it’s OK to make up their own rules on this, which has a lot to do with where we are. Hard to blame the Government for any of that. You think it’d be different under Starmer?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I appreciate the arguments that it's unprecedented and tough, but the way we *appear* to be (I'm aware people will argue the stats all day) by most measures lagging behind most comparable countries suggests they've got it badly wrong for me.

Barnard Castle, constant U-turns, opening schools with absolutely no measures in place whatsoever, giving out endless contracts to their mates. I'm afraid there's more to this than the obvious struggling with something difficult and trying their best.

And then there's the extra stress by not doing the obvious and kicking Brexit into the grass for a year - surely most reasonable Brexiteers would have accepted that this was not the time to be risking no deal (hopefully that now looks unlikely).

I'll give them 3. And whilst I'm a Green/Labour voter, I'd give anything for May or Cameron to have overseen this Vs the current shambles.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
4/10 too slow to react at the outset with Boris not even attending the meetings and we have been on the back foot ever since.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not expecting high marks here.

I think it might look a bit better in April when a big % of the population is vaccinated. Especially as the rest of Europe will be under restrictions because politics got in the way of ordering enough vaccine.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Its very easy to say it without the hard facts, but it feels like they have tried to balance the economy before peoples lives - and this should never have been the case. However, with a pandemic like this the WHO(no gags about Daltrey on Townsend) should step in and take overall control with global government buy ins. Until every government is on the same page with testing, vaccines and safety measures we'll be on a merry go round as people try to travel.
I know its not that simplistic, but could it be?
2/10

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
6 for me but the opposition wouldn't have done any better.

Mistakes at the start by not stopping flights in and how we bought (possibly) infected people back to UK.

Spain went for full lockdown and they are in no better position.

Cummings should have been sacked as should that Sturgeon women for not wearing her mask and the Chancellor should be reprimanded for doing a runner to Yorkshire. Lead by example..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
2/10. If they have done anything right - like putting us all in Tier 4 from Boxing Day - it has only been too late to put tight something they got wrong in the first place.

Too slow to do everything and too ready to waste money (billions) on giving contracts to the private sector to do things like track and trace which would have been better left to a properly funded public sector.

Far, far too reluctant to make unpopular decisions, or decisions that with an overly libertarian view they think will be unpopular....... when most (?) people would accept how necessary they would be. He is no Churchill.

And to echo previous comments, I would as a non Tory voter much rather have had May or Cameron in charge, and yes, Starmer would have done better.

I read an article yesterday about views from around the world’s press, which is about Brexit as well as Covid, and everyone thinks Boris is a waste of space.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Its obviously a hugely complex issue that exposes every country to the accumulative effect of the decisions they’ve made in the past and the current leadership capability, including its ability to lead its citizens.

There is lots of scope for whataboutery that could fill the pages of newspapers around the world and NSC forever so i will look at the results.

We are in the worst 3% of countries in deaths per capita. Nearly 1,000 deaths per million versus Germany at c250, for example. I could go on naming.

And our economic output during this period is one of the worst in the world.

Therefore my score which i am doing relative to other countries is 1/10.

Note, maybe 2/10 for speed of vaccination sign off and roll out (albeit early days)

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
One of the highest death rates in Europe.
Constant U-turns over lock downs. Johnson to Starmer: "To cancel Christmas would be inhumane!" One week later, reduces the 5 day window to 1 day.
Too late with the first lock down. Even doing it a week earlier would have saved lives.
The handling of Dominic Cummings, f*cking disgraceful.

3/10

Oh and not to mention looking after their mates first financially. But that's always been the Tory way.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I love watching how quickly certain threads disappear into the Bear Pit.

I voted 5, could do better but there is no guaranteed masterplan as far as I am concerned.

Too many seem to think it’s OK to make up their own rules on this, which has a lot to do with where we are. Hard to blame the Government for any of that. You think it’d be different under Starmer?

Whilst people will do their own thing because they have little regard for their neighbours and fellow citizens, quite a lot of people have done their own thing because they were being advised by total f*cktards. A majority of my family have been far more conservative and cautious in their actions than was advised, thankfully everyone is alive and well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
On here they will be lucky to score 0/10, in the real world closer to 5/10 I’d say!

Yup, Government on hiding to nothing in this poll unless they cancel Brexit.
6 out of 10 for me on Covid. I think the messaging should have been much stronger and backed up with sanctions. The re-opening of schools and universities has been a disaster but I think all parties would have made that mistake when faced with the realities of Government.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
6 for me too.

I have to say there are things that Boris has done very well (the vaccine, at least trying to balance keeping schools open and businesses going) and other things he could do nothing about. Selfish people who would ignore any rules, idiot conspiracy theorists and mask refusniks. Everywhere has those. He was slow off the blocks but no one knew in February how bad this was and he had Brexit and life threatening floods to deal with already.

On the against we have the track and trace farce that was basically a giant bung to Tory friends, Cummings should have gone immediately after Barnard Castle, you have the man himself shaking hands with covid patients and then getting it at the worst time possible to leave the country rudderless ( :facepalm: ) and Brexit should have been pushed back a year (but not abandoned, I respect the referendum result).

Would Labour have done any better? Personally it would have been Corbyn's Labour and it would have been a disaster. Take the politics right out of it, because furlough and part nationalisation would both have appealed to him, but the man cannot lead anything except a far left angry mob. The country would have floundered just as badly if not worse. Starmer would have done things a bit differently but there is no guarantee that it would have been better.

Finally there are a few notable posts again about NSC being left wing and in a bubble and these are getting a bit tiresome. This is a board for a football club that represents a city with two Labour and one Green MP and a Labour turned Green council. It has a fine tradition of counter culture and alternative lifestyles. If you dislike that then perhaps Brighton really isn't the place for you. It's as surprising that these polls end up anti-Tory as it is to find casual racism among fans of Millwall and Middlesboro :shrug:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Went for 5 - The furlough scheme accounts for most of that. Offset by huge amounts of money going to Tory supporters/donors/wives with little or no return, too slow to get started with the PM himself going to Twickenham and the aforementioned wife allowing Cheltenham to go ahead and the U turns so quickly after scoffing at the suggestions of what they end up doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here