Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Should 'elite sports' be stopped in tier 4 areas?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I find it hard to justify how this can be used as a genuine reason to travel around the country.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not unless Tier 4 is applied across the whole country. You can't have Liverpool having played 20 games and Arsenal and Brighton stuck on 14.

The one thing I missed in lockdown 1 was watching sport.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not unless Tier 4 is applied across the whole country. You can't have Liverpool having played 20 games and Arsenal and Brighton stuck on 14.

The one thing I missed in lockdown 1 was watching sport.

I dunno. Imagine the rants from Klopp if they're playing three games a week while birghton and southampton are playing none. Could be an entertaining watch that makes up for the lack of brighton games.

FannieMac

Jan 4, 2014
no poll ?

I think they should continue for a) mental health b) covid secure bubbles are much better managed than they would have been in March

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
No. Granted there has been a few more postponements recently, but bear in mind that until this month, we'd yet to have a PL game postponed due to covid since the restart. Look across Europe and you'll see that postponements have been happening since the football resumed in May. Generally, the risk is very well managed, and Elite sports have been able to continue very very safely. And the effect of cancelling them, particularly at this time of the year, would be a hammer blow to lots of people's mental health. I can see the argument for cancelling, but for me the cons vastly outweigh the pros

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No. Absolutely not.

Mental health has always been an underlying issue throughout the pandemic. It is likely to continue to become more of a problem the longer we have to endure this.

Little things like sport are enough to keep many people going during these difficult times.

100% worth any risk, which is negligible compared to schools and supermarkets being open.

This. Also 100% right that plenty of outdoor sports can continue (golf for example).

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
No, it should definitely continue because I’m not sure I’ll survive Tier 4 without Bozza’s post match ‘Two Points Gained or Lost’ threads.

:shootself

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It keeps the populace indoors if there's something on for them to watch.

Maybe the Premier League need to think outside the box and move all the teams to a remote island somewhere like they did with the UFC?

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
No. Granted there has been a few more postponements recently, but bear in mind that until this month, we'd yet to have a PL game postponed due to covid since the restart. Look across Europe and you'll see that postponements have been happening since the football resumed in May. Generally, the risk is very well managed, and Elite sports have been able to continue very very safely. And the effect of cancelling them, particularly at this time of the year, would be a hammer blow to lots of people's mental health. I can see the argument for cancelling, but for me the cons vastly outweigh the pros
Newcastle was postponed. Other than that none. IGNORE! re read!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, it should definitely continue because I’m not sure I’ll survive Tier 4 without Bozza’s post match ‘Two Points Gained or Lost’ threads.

:shootself

Indeed.

And let's not forget the latest candidate for a 'not even a biped, let alone a footballer; shitehouse, get rid' thread. Where would I be in 2021 without a scapegoat? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just a small question:-

When discussing 'elite sports' are we still discussing The Albion?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I recall reading around the time of Project Restart that each PL game requires about 400 people to be in attendance, so for every weekend that's 8000 people and associated movements around the country. If infection rates continue to rise at the same rate as they appear to be at the moment I believe it will become harder to justify that PL football should continue. Also, I can't be certain but I'm fairly sure that every game being broadcast live on some form of subscription platform is encouraging household mixing, with people 'popping round' to somebody else's to watch the matches.

However, I guess the only thing that will cause the PL to be suspended will be too many clubs with covid-depleted squads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here