Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Manager 2021

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Finished sixth in our second season, pretty decent. Millwall were hilariously bad, they came up under Marco Silva with Chuba Akpom as their main striker and predictably didn't pick up a point from January to the end of the season. We beat them 6-0 & 4-0, Arsenal and Man City both beat them 8-0. 117 conceded :moo: Silva actually kept his job as well.

Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 23.10.35.png

The one player that surprised me most was Trossard. I've never been able to get anything out of him on FM and usually sell him pretty early, but he had an amazing season.

Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 23.18.07.png

I just spent 64m on Max Aarons which may have been slightly excessive, but didn't really need to improve in other areas so **** it. The 4-4-2 has changed to a 4-2-4 but we're still keeping it pretty tight at the back somehow.

Not going well for Potter in this world at the moment. He got the Middlesbrough gig in the summer of 2021, taking Bjorn Hamberg, Billy Reid and Simon Rusk with him (I'd already sacked them all as soon as I took over anyway). He got sacked in February:
Screenshot 2021-01-02 at 23.27.32.png

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I’ve just started playing it and started with Bradford. Got promotion in the first season and now just starting the 2nd season. I had Dendoncker on loan in the first season but he got recalled because he was playing CB instead of DM.

A couple of things I find annoying on this edition:

You no longer get told who has assisted the goal
You can’t make multiple quick subs or swap players to different wings without going into the full tactics screen
Player fitness percentage has gone and replaced with the hearts. Initially this annoyed me but I believe the thinking behind it was that as a manager you wouldn’t know if a player is 60% or 80% fit.

Also, you find that 4-2-3-1 gegenpress is always over powered on the game. I win playing this formation but the board want me to play defensive direct football and when I do I always lose.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Can you confirm the rumour around Burgess Hill during his spell there that he’s a Palace fan?

Regardless of the said upcoming marriage I couldn't/wouldn't have employed him if this was the case, unfortunately its not that much better as he supports Stretford United in the EPL.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
May I suggest checking out 90MinuteFever - if you loved Football Manager Live (FML) the offshoot of Football Manager then you should love this,

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I’ve just started playing it and started with Bradford. Got promotion in the first season and now just starting the 2nd season. I had Dendoncker on loan in the first season but he got recalled because he was playing CB instead of DM.

A couple of things I find annoying on this edition:

You no longer get told who has assisted the goal
You can’t make multiple quick subs or swap players to different wings without going into the full tactics screen
Player fitness percentage has gone and replaced with the hearts. Initially this annoyed me but I believe the thinking behind it was that as a manager you wouldn’t know if a player is 60% or 80% fit.

Also, you find that 4-2-3-1 gegenpress is always over powered on the game. I win playing this formation but the board want me to play defensive direct football and when I do I always lose.

Yeah i found this, my tactic from 2020 is way too good and I'm not enjoying it so much. I am going to try a new Brighton save to develop a Tika taka or vertical tika taka style

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Has anyone else who isn’t playing as Brighton seen us become a really good team? Just starting my 5th season with Charlton and Brighton are constantly pushing for Europe now and have a frankly ridiculous squad.

Been taking full advantage of us being great. Had Haydon Roberts on loan in my 2nd, 3rd & 4th season before getting him for £4m before the start of our 5th season. Got Alzate for less than £5m before my 4th season too. Also had Zeqiri on loan in my first two seasons and despite scoring goals for fun in the Prem for Brighton ive managed to get him on loan again

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
December 2022 - I'm top of League 2 with Eastbourne Borough.

BHA are top of the Championship, 2 points clear of MASSIVE. We/they have Raul Moro, Steven Berghuis, Matheus Cunha and Julian Draxler on loan.

We/they sold Propper to Watford for £600k, and Locadia to Brentford on a Bosman...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My tactics have just turned to ****ing shit. An update?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Got this two days ago.

Bought only one player for the first season, yet ended up 4th.. Aaron Connolly became the PL top scorer with 28 goals, Maupay scored 22.

Now ahead of the second season I've sold players for £147m and still see no need to sign anything. Players like Östigård, Roberts, Jenks and Moran are ready pretty much the moment you let go of your starters or fringe players.

The team is really uber-overpowered in the game.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Got this two days ago.

Bought only one player for the first season, yet ended up 4th.. Aaron Connolly became the PL top scorer with 28 goals, Maupay scored 22.

Now ahead of the second season I've sold players for £147m and still see no need to sign anything. Players like Östigård, Roberts, Jenks and Moran are ready pretty much the moment you let go of your starters or fringe players.

The team is really uber-overpowered in the game.

Really? Bloody hell, I am struggling with it since the last update.

What tactics are you using?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
If anyone does enjoy doing things the hard way, there is a file that expands the amount of teams in England to tier ten. Bexhill United is in league one atm.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm in the 2030/31 season and thus far my career has taken me from:

Edinburgh City
Bristol Rovers
Everton
Celtic
England (for three matches)
Borussia Mönchengladbach
Ipswich (current club)

I love doing a journeyman save. I can never bring myself to start as Brighton because when I inevitably fail it really annoys me. But if I end up there, fifteen years into a journeyman save, I tend to enjoy that a lot more.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Edinburgh City
Bristol Rovers
Everton
Celtic
Borussia Mönchengladbach
Ipswich (current club)

I love doing a journeyman save. I can never bring myself to start as Brighton because when I inevitably fail it really annoys me. But if I end up there, fifteen years into a journeyman save, I tend to enjoy that a lot more.

This is the best way to play the game IMO. Especially starting unemployed with the smaller, less known countries/leagues.

In fact, this post has inspired me to start a new save!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Started out as Grimsby, then Preston, then Brighton. I finished season 2028/29 as my first ever time to win everything since the new FM. League Cup, FA Cup, League, Champions League, Super Cup and Community Shield. Have lost a bit of motivation for that save now as I'm so dominant.

I thought I'd share the transfers out and fees from the existing squad.

Transfers Out

2021/22

Izquierdo 3.3m
Gyokeres 2m
Van Hecke 675K
March 11.25m (to Celtic)
Alij 4.6m
Locadia 3.6m
Andone 5.25m
Maupay 15.5m
Propper 7.5m

2022/23
Burn 2m
Dunk 16.5m (to Porto)
Ostigard 25m (to Burnley)
Bissouma 6.5M
Clarke 1.5m
Veltman 2.2m
Welbeck 170k
Duffy 575k
Yapi 100k
Molumby 350k
O'Hora 700k
Vukoje 28.5k
Arce 3.3m
Sanchez 9.5k (to my team at the time, Preston)

2023/24
Khadra Free
Dendoncker Free
Connolly 1.3M
White 46.5m (to Man City)
Webster 13.75M
Zeqiri 300k
Moder 6M
Ryan 5M

2024/25 (when I joined)
Bernardo 9.5M
Weir 350k

2025/26
Cochrane Free
Trossard 36m
Mac Allister 80m (Arsenal)
Lamptey 48M (Barcelona)
Gross 2.1m

2026/27
Moran 1.8m

2027/28
Rushworth 99k
Roberts 29.5m

2028/29
Karbownik 12m

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Edinburgh City
Bristol Rovers
Everton
Celtic
Borussia Mönchengladbach
Ipswich (current club)

This is the best way to play the game IMO. Especially starting unemployed with the smaller, less known countries/leagues.

In fact, this post has inspired me to start a new save!

Ah shit, you're really tempting me.

Just one more hit, then I'll get clean. I promise.

I just need ONE MORE ****IN HIT MAN.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Ah shit, you're really tempting me.

Just one more hit, then I'll get clean. I promise.

I just need ONE MORE ****IN HIT MAN.

Now is the perfect time if you don't already own this year's version. New one will be out in a few months so most places will have FM21 discounted periodically.

Currently £20 on Steam.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Really? Bloody hell, I am struggling with it since the last update.

What tactics are you using?

secondseason.jpg

This one, though my midfield was different in the first season (Bissouma box-to-box, Alzate DLP and one of Gross/Macallister/Lallana as AMC, but all of those except Alzate are gone now). In difficult away games I would pull the AMC to MC and play Caicedo as ball-winning midfielder.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Still going strong on FM2014 on my ageing laptop, so will revisit this thread for tips in 2035 (allowing for a couple of years on each version).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
View attachment 138216

This one, though my midfield was different in the first season (Bissouma box-to-box, Alzate DLP and one of Gross/Macallister/Lallana as AMC, but all of those except Alzate are gone now). In difficult away games I would pull the AMC to MC and play Caicedo as ball-winning midfielder.

Same formation I play and I'm starting to worry it might be a little OP :lolol:

defence.png

Changed to this system after a disapointing christmas in 2031. 19 clean sheets in 23 league games since then. It's absolutely formidable. In fact at the start of the 31/32 season I've played 9 games including 4 friendlies and conceded 0 goals. Back to Back PL titles for the Addicks, if I could sort out my horrible record in cup finals (think I've won 2 out of 11 not including the Community Shield) then I'd be buildy a real dynasty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here