Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] How BIG is yours?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I need to buy a new TV so my lad can have a TV (our current TV) in his room for gaming.

I just can't decide how much bigger to go than the 40" we currently have, which I appreciate is quite small by modern standards.

I know that anything bigger will, initially at least, feel humongous in comparison and I'm also aware of the "chav factor" that can come with having a massive TV.

So, I think I'm torn between 49/50" and 55". In most cases the jump in sizes of the same model is negligible additional cost which is why I'm being drawn to the 55", but I do wonder if it will be just TOO BIG.

40" has an area of 684 square inches
50" has an area of 1068 square inches (56% bigger)
55" has an area of 1293 square inches (89% bigger)

How big is yours and would you go BIGGER if you had the chance?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
What and have 1068 square inches of West Ham & Arsenal defeats filling the living room.....its a no from me.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
55 inch here, but I think in the UK I would have smaller for fear of overpowering the room. But if you have a bigger lounge than average, why not go 55?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I need to buy a new TV so my lad can have a TV (our current TV) in his room for gaming.

I just can't decide how much bigger to go than the 40" we currently have, which I appreciate is quite small by modern standards.

I know that anything bigger will, initially at least, feel humongous in comparison and I'm also aware of the "chav factor" that can come with having a massive TV.

So, I think I'm torn between 49/50" and 55". In most cases the jump in sizes of the same model is negligible additional cost which is why I'm being drawn to the 55", but I do wonder if it will be just TOO BIG.

40" has an area of 684 square inches
50" has an area of 1068 square inches (56% bigger)
55" has an area of 1293 square inches (89% bigger)

How big is yours and would you go BIGGER if you had the chance?

55" – OLED. Amazing picture, I would go bigger if I had a plain wall, but given it's angled from an alcove, it's probably a bit big as it is.

Reminds me of a bit of maths I saw with regard to Pizza sizes and how much more area you get for an extra inch in diameter compared to 2 pizzas of less diameter. i.e. a large 18" Pizza as an area of 254 sq inches whereas 2 x medium 12" pizzas has a combined area of 226 sq inches. It might only be me that sees that as relevant....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What and have 1068 square inches of West Ham & Arsenal defeats filling the living room.....its a no from me.

This should do it then :)

Capture.PNG

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
52" I think. (It's my daughter's who moved home at the beginning of the year in order to save money to go travelling last summer :facepalm:)

If she moves back out, I'll probably have to buy similar as the previous 42" which is now in our bedroom will look too small now we are used to something bigger.

Oh and tMR8KKUH.jpg

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I bought a 60" recently because I was fed up with watching films on a 42" and losing 30% of the picture because of the fricking picture ratio they use. You buy a wide screen telly and you still get unused areas at the top and bottom!!

I thought that getting a bigger telly would counter that and I suppose it does but you don't notice it once you're engrossed in the film.

That's my take away from all this. It's not the size, it's what's on it that matters... I don't notice TV size if I'm enjoying what's on it. So now I've got a massive TV that's too big for where it is and only slightly more enjoyment.

I'll be more concerned with picture quality than size from now on.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It depends on the size of your room. We have a relatively small lounge area and don't want the TV to be the dominant furniture so 42" is perfect.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Went for 49” but bought for our old place [loft style flat pre kids] where the sofa was approx 4m away, in our house the same tv is now wall hung and the sofa is about 2.8m away.

The Mrs says it’s too big. I think it’s just right <shrug>

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I bought a 60" recently because I was fed up with watching films on a 42" and losing 30% of the picture because of the fricking picture ratio they use. You buy a wide screen telly and you still get unused areas at the top and bottom!!

I thought that getting a bigger telly would counter that and I suppose it does but you don't notice it once you're engrossed in the film.

That's my take away from all this. It's not the size, it's what's on it that matters... I don't notice TV size if I'm enjoying what's on it. So now I've got a massive TV that's too big for where it is and only slightly more enjoyment.

I'll be more concerned with picture quality than size from now on.

I have the solution for you:

f84401436678cb203968db619d239662.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought you were talking about CHRISTMAS TREES as I have a massive one.

The telly is a "normal" 42 inches.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just don't do what the brother in law did, and wall mount it high on the wall. When I go round his now the only way to watch the footy is to stand, like we're on the concourse of West Upper. And the beer isn't as good.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We had a 53-inch TV installed last weekend (a Crimbo prezzie to ourselves) - our first new telly for 13 years. The one we replaced was about 40".

For us, it wasn't just the size of the TV itself which was important, but the fact that the latest model has loads of apps for various channels (Netflix, AppleTV, NowTV, etc), so we've now got much better picture quality and sound, and much more choice of what to watch.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Just don't do what the brother in law did, and wall mount it high on the wall. When I go round his now the only way to watch the footy is to stand, like we're on the concourse of West Upper. And the beer isn't as good.

I've never understood why people wall mount them high up, especially above a mantelpiece. Get bloody neck ache!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here