Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who invented Christmas ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve heard tell that Coca-Cola changed Santa to red but maybe Bing Crosby started it or even someone else.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the Dutch

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went out today for the first time into town and it was quite evident all the shoppers where as miserable as ff..uck.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Like normal the American were late to the game but try and take all the credit.
Christmas was invented by aliens .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ve heard tell that Coca-Cola changed Santa to red but maybe Bing Crosby started it or even someone else.

I actually met the great-granddaugther of the guy who "established" the modern Santa Claus, Swedish-American illustrator Haddon Sundblom, who worked for Coca Cola in the 1930s. According to her research, he was inspired by Swedish 19th century jultomte (Santa Claus) illustrator Jenny Nyström, who made a lot of "modern type" Santas beginning in the 1870s, fairly similar to todays versions:

10023645_fullsize (1).jpg

From what Haddon Sundbloms great-granddaughter told me, Nyström was inspired by some yank (cant remember his name) from the early 19th century, and he is probably who you could consider the "inventor", though it is true that Sundbloms Coca Cola-Santa established the "final" version.

As for who invented Christmas... Probably Jesus mother? In some ways..

May 5, 2020
Sussex

I think the American Santa was originally father Christmas(as we still call him here) and he was Odin or Woden as we called him here.odin would fly a many legged horse through the sky delivering gifts during the winter solstice and kids would leave a saucer of milk out for his horse.
Then constantine wanted to standardise religion in his empire so he created the church and enforced that on Europeans turning the winter solstice into celebrating the birth of jesus.same as Easter where we would celebrate aostre the goddess of spring became Jesus being crucified and reborn.
(The crucifixion is also familiar to Odin who hanged on a tree for nine days.)
America of course took the whole lot and turned it into a commercial endeavour that makes business loads of money.
The best bits of modern Christmas are left from the old days of Odin.feasting,drinking,and merriment with friends and family.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Coca cola popularised the image of Santa Claus or Father Christmas with its image produced for promotions early last century. Santa Clause used to be dressed in green!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I actually met the great-granddaugther of the guy who "established" the modern Santa Claus, Swedish-American illustrator Haddon Sundblom, who worked for Coca Cola in the 1930s. According to her research, he was inspired by Swedish 19th century jultomte (Santa Claus) illustrator Jenny Nyström, who made a lot of "modern type" Santas beginning in the 1870s, fairly similar to todays versions:

View attachment 131696

From what Haddon Sundbloms great-granddaughter told me, Nyström was inspired by some yank (cant remember his name) from the early 19th century, and he is probably who you could consider the "inventor", though it is true that Sundbloms Coca Cola-Santa established the "final" version.

As for who invented Christmas... Probably Jesus mother? In some ways..

That's a lot of coke there.:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here