Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] New scam - faux Royal Mail emails

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just received an email from ‘Royal Mail’ regarding a missed large letter delivery.

In haste in working my way through another zzzzzz 20 legit emails, I almost fell for it, I got half way through answering the long list of questions including providing bank card details. Yes I realise now that they don’t email, but we’ve had legit missed parcels lately, they were cleverly playing on this chaotic time of year. In the end it was small detail that stopped me just in time, they asked for my DOB also.

The emails look like this:

1C7EF00E-1495-4DE3-B247-EF8D11A96D06.png

Out of interest, as I’ve never fallen for anything in the past, how do the scammers obtain email addresses?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All I know is that anyone involved in that sort of thing needs dropping into a woodchipper.

Have you ever had the opportunity to chat with telephone scammers? It may be water off a duck’s back to them, but depending on my mood, I’ve wasted their time with wind ups, other times abusing them verbally (not in my nature at all .... except with those tossers).

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Have you ever had the opportunity to chat with telephone scammers? It may be water off a duck’s back to them, but depending on my mood, I’ve wasted their time with wind ups, other times abusing them verbally (not in my nature at all .... except with those tossers).

No. Best to cut the comms asap in my view. They have too much detail on you than they should and the last thing you need is a vindictive kunnt taking it further.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Out of interest, as I’ve never fallen for anything in the past, how do the scammers obtain email addresses?

If you’ve used your email address for a login on a site that’s been hacked or even as a contact email address, then it’s more than likely been sold to scammers at some point.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ Is a good resource to find out what sites your email address and other details may have been stolen from.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If you’ve used your email address for a login on a site that’s been hacked or even as a contact email address, then it’s more than likely been sold to scammers at some point.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ Is a good resource to find out what sites your email address and other details may have been stolen from.

Not being funny, but how do you know if that site collects email addresses ???

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Had one of those today and of course waiting for a parcel :rolleyes: fortunately looked up the senders E mail address and nothing showed so deleted it............. it was...... Newsletters @elevati.com obv. no gap, ******** and a Happy Christmas to them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

houzz and MyFitnessPal are the likely candidates who suffered data breaches affecting us :down:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I can't believe that even the Royal Mail are scamming people now. What hope is there for this World.:shootself

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not being funny, but how do you know if that site collects email addresses ???

The guy who created it is one of the leading web security experts. His site is used by governments to monitor breaches on their own domains. He’d lose a lot of credibility and business if it was revealed he was harvesting emails. He does offer an alert service so is legitimately asking for your data but you’d expect it to be stored incredibly securely.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The guy who created it is one of the leading web security experts. His site is used by governments to monitor breaches on their own domains. He’d lose a lot of credibility and business if it was revealed he was harvesting emails. He does offer an alert service so is legitimately asking for your data but you’d expect it to be stored incredibly securely.

Thank you:thumbsup:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No. Best to cut the comms asap in my view. They have too much detail on you than they should and the last thing you need is a vindictive kunnt taking it further.

Yeah but - the vindictive kunnt lives in Asia and you are the 100,000 person of the 1,000,000 people his call centre has called, playing him along.
I have no facts to back it up but I strongly suspect that the type of crims that do cyber crime are the one least likely to want to get involved in any physical situations.

I too love stringing them along when I have the time - love it at the end when they realise and call you a mother****er as they hang up ....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Shoved this here rather than a new thread.
An old gentleman, guess late 70's, came in to my shop looking for a bitcoin machine that is in the shop next door. Further questioning and he had £2000 cash (he showed me) and a bit coin number he had to put it into. He was very agitated but determined.
Alarm bells rang loud.
I tried to dissuade him but he said he had to pay it in. He left but went next door and found the machine. I could see him on his phone trying to pay the money into the bit coin machine. I managed to attract a police car and they too went in to stop him. They failed and couldn't contact any of his relatives.
I just hope it wasn't a scam but sadly I believe the old guy has thrown away £2000 that he didn't look like he could afford.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Just be careful. Whilst scambaiting is a fun and sometimes hilarious way to spend time, many scammers are at the lower end of OCGs.

Always bait anonymously (I would suggest setting up a new email address for scambaiting) and NEVER give anything to a scammer that could help identify you.

For those who want to see how to scambait safely (and have a good laugh)

www.419eater.com

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I quite enjoy the opportunity to chat with these people. Always interests me if their mothers know what they do for a living or what their religious beliefs are. But I must confess it usually ends up with me directing a volley of bile at them and waiting for the clunk when they eventually hang up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here