Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] What films had the the most profound effect on you

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
After your watched them?

I was almost traumatised by three films and they stuck in my mind for days afterwards

The Deer Hunter (Russian roulette and the water holding pens)
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest ( ****ing Nurse Ratched!)
Carrie ( the end freaked me out)

You?

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Jurassic Park is the film that got me into films.

My tiny eight year old brain was in awe.

Cant say its one of my favorites or that it had a remarkable effect on me as I hate all of the characters and would have liked to see them eaten by dinosaurs... but every time I see that movie I think "holy shit it aged well". Compared to all the later CGI nonsense it looks remarkably realistic.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Cant say its one of my favorites or that it had a remarkable effect on me as I hate all of the characters and would have liked to see them eaten by dinosaurs... but every time I see that movie I think "holy shit it aged well". Compared to all the later CGI nonsense it looks remarkably realistic.

Funnily enough I re-read the book recently and some of the characters that make it through the film definitely do not make it through the book.

Unfortunately it is a terrible book.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I'll never forget watching SE7EN at the cinema.
Me and one of my flatmates walked home in silence.
We ended up watching Ace Ventura on VHS to literally force a change in mood.

There are also a couple of films I can't watch twice:

- Requiem for a Dream
(Just so dark, especially if you have experimented with drugs and had your share of good and bad experiences.)

- The Road
(Again, just too dark. We romanticize the apocalypse. This certainly doesn't.)

As for films with a positive, or profound effect, that are not necessarily dark...I think there's a few but I need to have a think.

- The Social Dilemma is the most recent one.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
The Truman Show - Made me question whether my life was all an elaborate TV show
The Matrix - Made me question reality
Fight club - Engaged some of my early anti-capitalist opinions
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Intensely thought provoking take on romance
American Beauty - Another that makes one reflect on the most important things in life
Schindler's List - Speaks for itself

Matrix and Fight Club for sure.

Definitely changed my outlook and behaviour.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
American History X - Derek's journey from being a hardcore racist to having his eyes opened. The cause and effect for the ending.
Full metal jacket - Private Pyle in the head with the rifle. The most intense scene. I know what is coming every time I watch it but still grit my teeth with the intensity of it each time I see it.
Donnie Darko - Being given the choice to go back and alter whether you live or die with the hindsight of knowing the consequences of your actions were you to live. I wonder how many would be selfless enough to sacrifice themselves for others?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Saving Private Ryan first ten minutes can't help but be a shocking experience, my Father in Law and Grandad did D-Day and Salerno respectively, neither of them ever spoke about either...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Star Wars was the first film I remember watching at the tender age of 4. Sat through the entire film in silence and then asked to watch it again. It is still, to this day, my all time favourite film.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Raymond Briggs' When the Wind Blows properly freaked the shit out of me (and depressed me) the first time I saw it.

I agree that American Beauty is astonishing and thought provoking at the same time.

Shawshank Redemption for sure.

Other than that I tend to watch gangster movies, music movies (e.g. Ray, I don't mean musicals which do my Swede) or Tarantino at his chop socky best. I can't say any of these have a profound effect but that's precisely why I watch them.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Blade Runner (Since that, I've not dated any androids)
The Name of the Rose (very atmospheric)
Mr Bean's Holiday (hilarious for parents and kids alike)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (I rarely enjoyed Westerns...but...)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Scum. I first saw this as a 14-year old back in 1983 when Channel 4 first arrived.

To this day I will not set foot inside a greenhouse.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
The Exorcist for me - no such thing as video or DVD in those days and had never seen an 18 film at the cinema before. This was my scary film debut and I shat myself all the way home.

Always stayed away from any kind of possession films ever since.

I suspect it might look dated nowadays but had the desired effect on a fresh faced 18 yr old in its day.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Raymond Briggs' When the Wind Blows properly freaked the shit out of me (and depressed me) the first time I saw it.

I agree that American Beauty is astonishing and thought provoking at the same time.

Shawshank Redemption for sure.

Other than that I tend to watch gangster movies, music movies (e.g. Ray, I don't mean musicals which do my Swede) or Tarantino at his chop socky best. I can't say any of these have a profound effect but that's precisely why I watch them.

What did you think about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

I didnt particularly like it the first time I saw it but the second time, it really made me think. First I thought it was just Tarantino ******* over his own movie passion, sort of a cute tribute to Hollywood. But its really the suicide letter of cinema. His way of saying "you cant do original, oddball movies in Hollywood anymore so I'm going to make one"... well aware that in the age of fifteen minutes of fame and this entertainment overflow on Netflix etc., no director will ever again be as powerful as he is - no director of the future is going to do their own movies, they are just going to carry out Star Wars 32 and Lion King 12 and whatever makes easy profit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here