Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White - Season to date

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Jury is still out for me. I think he has looked fairly solid.

However, last season (in the championship) he was spraying 50 yard passes with both feet, taking on midfielders and winning, creating chances with through balls, overlapping runs as well as the classy defending.

It could well be the system and obviously the step up in opposition etc. Pretty confident that after a few more seasons he will be so much better than what we have seen and his potential is enormous.

Given that, how much of the reported £40m we were offered was based on potential rather than his current ability? He doesn't look like. £40m+ player at the moment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tough crowd.

IMO very good so far given the clear and significant step up from Championship to PL, and recognising he's been asked to play out of his natural position too. Has made some outstanding tackles, passing is generally very good. Been caught out positionally a couple of times but he'll improve as he gets more gametime.

Not seen that we were offered near £40m anywhere but he's absolutely a potential £40m player, so unless we get an offer of that magnitude (in reality higher) any other club can **** off.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Pretty good if not amazing, not helped by a manager chopping and changing his position.

Certainly hasn't lost any value since stepping up but not sure he's gained any either

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think he's done ok, bearing in mind he is playing his football a division higher than he was last season, and taking into account the fact that he is playing in a team who are desperately low in confidence.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Looks like a classy defender with masses of potential. Baring in mind he's only been a Premier League player for 3 months and his age, there's lots more to come too as defenders don't reach their peak until late 20's. Has made mistakes but that is understandable and part of his learning curve. I can understand the hype and interest from large clubs, I believe he's got the potential to be possibly the best English centre back around at the moment.

He's not a midfielder though.

And I don't believe we've ever been offered £40 million? £20 something million from Leeds is the highest bid we've had to date I understand.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

However, last season (in the championship) he was spraying 50 yard passes with both feet, taking on midfielders and winning, creating chances with through balls, overlapping runs as well as the classy defending.

It could well be the system and obviously the step up in opposition etc. Pretty confident that after a few more seasons he will be so much better than what we have seen and his potential is enormous.

Given that, how much of the reported £40m we were offered was based on potential rather than his current ability? He doesn't look like. £40m+ player at the moment.

Difficult to stand out in a team that is chopping and changing and short on confidence.

In the Leicester game for example he put in an outstanding challenge to stop Vardey from scoring and Shearer wouldn't stop going on about Vardey's fantastic run. Good as the run was, it was, it was bettered by the block.

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
As you say, that was in the Championship - he's in the big boys league now. He can't be expected to unlock premier league defences week in week out (though he's done it a fair few times already - through ball to Lamptey at Newcastle comes to mind).

He's looked his best in defence - where he's meant to be played - though he also had a solid game at CDM against Palace.

Overall he's been very good, but he can improve in the air. If he had Duffy's presence at corners in both defence and attack then we'd not only have a baller, but also a bastion of the strong, solid centre back. Then we're talking 50m + when Liverpool come knocking.

To call him powder puff in the air would be unfair, but I'd like to see more fight in him.

In any case, he's a real and growing talent, and we must not forget how young he is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good player, going to improve a lot as well. Prefer him to stay as central defender though and not a fan of Potter sometimes moving him into midfield, but at the same time the experience he gets from playing in a different position will be very useful - but as I said, very much prefer him to play in the back line.

Probably the youngest regularly starting CB in the league right now? Very bright future.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think he's done pretty well. He's played as well as the other centre halves and considering he's younger and less experienced than them that's a solid start. He's not been perfect but then it's hard to be when you're just starting out in the league and playing in a system like we do but there's clear ability and room for improvement which is pretty exciting.

I'd say his performances this year compare favourably to Webster's last year. Webster's taken a step forward this season so it looks promising for White as the season and his career progresses.

I'd say him, March and Lallana(and maybe Welbeck) are the biggest positives of this season. I'm putting Bissouma and Lamptey's form down as a continuation of last season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Do you have a link to that “reported” 40 million....only I don’t remember seeing anything above 22-25

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

First season in the premier league, and ticking along nicely.
He needs to be cut some slack.
And as for £40m...that’s not far off double the figure that I heard quoted.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Have seen a steady improvement from him, until the last couple of games. Thought he was poor on Sunday but he's bound to have times when his form dips. Overall, I've been impressed. £40m though? No way yet.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I said he looked solid.

Yours wasn’t the most complementary of posts for a young player in his first season at this level.
He wasn’t ever going to be able to play like he did in the championship, at a struggling Prem side.
Bit too soon to judge him, I’d say.
And as for £40m , it looks like that was our “hands off” figure.
Bit like when Robert Codner was called “£1m-rated Robert Codner” in the Daily Star in 1990.
Pretty sure White will only improve going forward. He’s got the lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here