Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We should be fifth

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
This actually makes me feel much better. Surely over the course of a season the discrepancy between xPTS and points reduces.

Screenshot_20201222-080703__01.jpg

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This actually makes me feel much better. Surely over the course of a season the discrepancy between xPTS and points reduces.
This has been posted several times. Unfortunately - and I think this is quite important - it doesn't take into account that our strikers are absolute gash, our midfielders rarely shoot on target, and we are an absolute embarrassment when attempting to "defend" set pieces.

There is a metric that does all of this and more - it's called the league table, and it currently shows that we are proper shit.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Hark! What is that strange sound? Ah, straws being clutched.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This has been posted several times. Unfortunately - and I think this is quite important - it doesn't take into account that our strikers are absolute gash, our midfielders rarely shoot on target, and we are an absolute embarrassment when attempting to "defend" set pieces.

There is a metric that does all of this and more - it's called the league table, and it currently shows that we are proper shit.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Agree with you mainly, ultimately the league table doesn’t lie. We’re not accumulating enough points.

But these in depth statistical analysis does show we are improving and getting a lot of things tactically right on the pitch. I’m kind of sick of saying it, but we’re making an abundance of chances, it’s just not taking them that’s the problem.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
At the time of reading this thread I saw it sits, appropriately, immediately below the Festive Funnies thread.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm sure we'll rectify it in January when we sign some striker who's been scoring goals for fun in the Belgium Second Division.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Agree with you mainly, ultimately the league table doesn’t lie. We’re not accumulating enough points.

But these in depth statistical analysis does show we are improving and getting a lot of things tactically right on the pitch. I’m kind of sick of saying it, but we’re making an abundance of chances, it’s just not taking them that’s the problem.

Is it 'in depth statistical analysis' or is it a new fad that is being pushed by betting companies and the TV companies to provide a very simplistic, reductive statistic?
As others have said, all it really highlights is our players are wasteful in front of goal and our defence has conceded too many important goals.
For me it's absolutely no different to 'moneyball'. On paper it makes sense but it doesn't necessarily work when applied to the realities of football.
“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Do you know what these threads remind me of

Its like saying that a Darts player is better if he can get his 3 Darts into the Bulls Eye in a Dartboard than he is if he gets his 3 darts into the Treble Twenty because the Area is smaller.

Fact is the Treble Twenty x 3 scores 180

Bulls Eye x 3 scores 150

Stick to the rules of the game and stop following someone else's' made up rules of the game

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I had faith until the 2and half v Burnley. Before then our performances were better than our results. Since then our results have matched or exceeded our performance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here