Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Elite Sport in Grave Danger

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just seen Millwall have joined Peterbrough United and AFC Sunderland in having to postpone their forthcoming games due to Covid outbreaks. Surely given the higher transmission of this mutant variant in can only be a matter of time before all sport is brought to a halt?? The consequences don't bear thinking about.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just seen Millwall have joined Peterbrough United and AFC Sunderland in having to postpone their forthcoming games due to Covid outbreaks. Surely given the higher transmission of this mutant variant in can only be a matter of time before all sport is brought to a halt?? The consequences don't bear thinking about.

Can see pretty much total lockdown until we're well into the vaccine rollout. Really hoping the Oxford/AZ approval is imminent followed by absolutely everything being thrown at getting people jabbed as quickly as possible.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I did wonder, when leaving the Amex on Sunday, whether that would be the last time we could be there this season.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
When did we have the big shutdown?

Just before the Arsenal home game.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I did wonder, when leaving the Amex on Sunday, whether that would be the last time we could be there this season.

Well at least the tradition of the last home result before lockdown being a disappointing effort which seems to drag us closer to the drop would have been maintained.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The government's New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) has upgraded its confidence that the new variant spreads more easily, the group's chair has said.

Prof Peter Horby told a Science Media Centre briefing: "We now have high confidence that this variant does have a transmission advantage over other virus variants that are currently in the UK."

Minutes from a meeting on Friday said the group, which advises the UK government, had "moderate confidence" in this.

Another Nervtag member, Prof Neil Ferguson, from Imperial College London, told the briefing there was strong evidence the new variant is 50% more transmissible than the previous virus.

He also said there was a "hint" the new variant infects children more.

"There are other epidemiologically interesting trends with the virus, there is a hint that it has a higher propensity to infect children... but we haven't established any sort of causality on that, but we can see that in the data," he said.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Cancel the season now, and relegate the bottom 3 simple.

On a more serious note, fully expecting games to return to behind closed doors, and a 2 month suspension of all sport to enable a clampdown on the virus. The worry though is the knock on effect on jobs, businesses, mental health and well-being generally.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

I'm in Bognor which is in Tier 2.
I went and watched Pagham v Langney Wanderers on Saturday and then met friends at the Sheffield United game on Sunday.

But I'm not allowed to see my son and granddaughter on Christmas Day or thereafter.

On Boxing Day I can go and watch Pagham v East Preston and meet a load of mates and as it stands on the 29th I'll be back at The Amex for the Arsenal game.
(and if I fancy it, there's always Lancing v Newhaven at Culver Road tomorrow night)

Bonkers!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not that it's the biggest issue at all .....

But am I right in saying, that if less than half the games have been completed the season is void, if more than half, and they can't get it done by a certain date, they end it and relegate whoever is in the bottom 3 at that date

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I'm in Bognor which is in Tier 2.
I went and watched Pagham v Langney Wanderers on Saturday and then met friends at the Sheffield United game on Sunday.

But I'm not allowed to see my son and granddaughter on Christmas Day or thereafter.

On Boxing Day I can go and watch Pagham v East Preston and meet a load of mates and as it stands on the 29th I'll be back at The Amex for the Arsenal game.
(and if I fancy it, there's always Lancing v Newhaven at Culver Road tomorrow night)

Bonkers!

Personally I think you are a bit BONKERS for going out and meeting friends, Just because its allowed don't make it safe or compulsory.....

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Personally I think you are a bit BONKERS for going out and meeting friends, Just because its allowed don't make it safe or compulsory.....

I didn't get near anyone at Pagham, and it probably was wrong to go to The Amex yesterday.
But we all socially distanced, had face masks and were outdoors, but deep down I know you're probably correct even though I followed all the rules.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I didn't get near anyone at Pagham, and it probably was wrong to go to The Amex yesterday.
But we all socially distanced, had face masks and were outdoors, but deep down I know you're probably correct even though I followed all the rules.

I agree, its not you being safe wearing a mask its the others who get a few beers down their necks and flout the rules.....
We wont be coming down to the Amex until its a lot lot safer, that will probably mean post vaccine roll out.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I agree, its not you being safe wearing a mask its the others who get a few beers down their necks and flout the rules.....
We wont be coming down to the Amex until its a lot lot safer, that will probably mean post vaccine roll out.

Boris Johnson has just said over 500,000 people have had the first vaccine shot. But that's taken 10 days, so 50,000 per day. With a population of 68 million , I make it 2720 days before everyone has had both doses. That's 7 45 years!!!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well I wont be going to arsenal now even though it's up the road

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Next two Ipswich games, off. Next two Millwall games, off.
Laschelles and Saint Maximam showing signs of long-term covid....

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I think they there will be strenuous efforts to keep the Premier League going over Christmas - but maybe in January there will be the English winter break that the clubs have been wanting. Six weeks off or so combined with another lockdown and serious vaccination work might be better than struggling on with this and other things.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not that it's the biggest issue at all .....

But am I right in saying, that if less than half the games have been completed the season is void, if more than half, and they can't get it done by a certain date, they end it and relegate whoever is in the bottom 3 at that date
They certainly should have made an agreement like that before the season started, and formalised it the rues and regulations for the season (and included those conditions in the TV deal). It would be the only sensible thing to have done.

But have they?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
voluntary break for six weeks at least - then back with 5 subs and two games a week for a couple of months is entirely plausible

larus

The government's New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) has upgraded its confidence that the new variant spreads more easily, the group's chair has said.

Prof Peter Horby told a Science Media Centre briefing: "We now have high confidence that this variant does have a transmission advantage over other virus variants that are currently in the UK."

Minutes from a meeting on Friday said the group, which advises the UK government, had "moderate confidence" in this.

Another Nervtag member, Prof Neil Ferguson, from Imperial College London, told the briefing there was strong evidence the new variant is 50% more transmissible than the previous virus.

He also said there was a "hint" the new variant infects children more.

"There are other epidemiologically interesting trends with the virus, there is a hint that it has a higher propensity to infect children... but we haven't established any sort of causality on that, but we can see that in the data," he said.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

This is the same moron who predicted 500,000 deaths from BSE (CJD), and also in excess of 100,000 deaths I believe from some other virus.

His software ‘models’ have been ripped apart by other modellers as being completely unfit for purpose. As much as I have sympathy with any politician trying to navigate through this, using people whose preofessional judgement is often questioned is not a good policy.

If these new lockdowns are unwarranted, then the damage being done to people’s livelihoods is for no benefit.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
voluntary break for six weeks at least - then back with 5 subs and two games a week for a couple of months is entirely plausible

That will benefit Leeds, for sure. If they can keep the season going, it’ll be interesting to see when they completely run out of steam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here