Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goals conceded from deflections

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Bogle yesterday, Madison a couple of weeks ago.

My memory is rubbish, but I vaguely remember there have been a couple more. Am I right?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Said exactly that after Bogle’s goal. Opposition deflections end up in our net. Ours deflect for a corner or a goal kick. We really have had shit luck all season and it’s taken it’s toll on the player’s confidence

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Said exactly that after Bogle’s goal. Opposition deflections end up in our net. Ours deflect for a corner or a goal kick. We really have had shit luck all season and it’s taken it’s toll on the player’s confidence

Yup. I really hate blaming anything on "bad luck" but at least very few would say that the team has been lucky this season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've watched their goal a couple of times now, and worryingly for me, we aren't as caught out as I first thought at the time. They have 2 on 4 in the box, supporting players are well covered by Lallana, White, Bissouma all running back, I think Trossard is tracking the player to the left of the shot and is marginally ahead.

Where we're conceding deflected goals to me is lack of positive closing down, and this might be a result of communication. Bogle is pretty much the only player that can score unless McGoldrick produces something special to beat Dunk and the keeper from a narrow position. If you watch the goal back, I don't once see Webster look to see where Bogle is, perhaps he is too focussed on covering Dunk, but March is pretty much in no man's land at this point, and really should be screaming at Webster 'right shoulder' as loud as he friggin well can.

The deflection imho in the case didn't come through our miss fortune, it came simply because we weren't tight enough.
SUgoal.jpg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've watched their goal a couple of times now, and worryingly for me, we aren't as caught out as I first thought at the time. They have 2 on 4 in the box, supporting players are well covered by Lallana, White, Bissouma all running back, I think Trossard is tracking the player to the left of the shot and is marginally ahead.

Where we're conceding deflected goals to me is lack of positive closing down, and this might be a result of communication. Bogle is pretty much the only player that can score unless McGoldrick produces something special to beat Dunk and the keeper from a narrow position. If you watch the goal back, I don't once see Webster look to see where Bogle is, perhaps he is too focussed on covering Dunk, but March is pretty much in no man's land at this point, and really should be screaming at Webster 'right shoulder' as loud as he friggin well can.

The deflection imho in the case didn't come through our miss fortune, it came simply because we weren't tight enough.
View attachment 131637

You go on a couple of frames, and Bogle simply has the freedom of our penalty area still. This is a bit alarming, because it's not players not getting back, it's about being tight and taking responsibility. It was a positive move imho moving March to LB to bring on more attacking players, but what happened here is a defensive nightmare. Webster never once looks at Bogle, and March, I don't know what March is doing!? :shrug:

SUgoal2.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yup. I really hate blaming anything on "bad luck" but at least very few would say that the team has been lucky this season.

I'd agree with that. Just about everything that COULD hit the woodwork HAS hit the woodwork. And WAY too many unfortunate deflections have been unfortunately deflected past the keeper and into the net. Cruel old game sometimes

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

View attachment 131637

I see what you're saying ... but .....

Pretend for a moment you don't know what the goal was like and just look at that (first) still in isolation .........

The threat looks to me that Bogle could make a darting run towards goal ...... exactly where the arrow you've got is pointing .... and flick home with a first time effort. I'd say that Webby and Solly position is pretty good, looking to close the space between defenders and keeper.

When the ball is cut back, the chances of Bogle scoring are dramatically reduced. Webby and Sanchez look to have it covered.

But it deflects and goes in.

The point i'm making is that defenders have to make choices and those choices are always about managing varying degrees of risk. In this case i'd say the Webby and Solly made the percentage decision in covering the space in behind.

I think we were unlucky here

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I see what you're saying ... but .....

Pretend for a moment you don't know what the goal was like and just look at that (first) still in isolation .........

The threat looks to me that Bogle could make a darting run towards goal ...... exactly where the arrow you've got is pointing .... and flick home with a first time effort. I'd say that Webby and Solly position is pretty good, looking to close the space between defenders and keeper.

When the ball is cut back, the chances of Bogle scoring are dramatically reduced. Webby and Sanchez look to have it covered.

But it deflects and goes in.

The point i'm making is that defenders have to make choices and those choices are always about managing varying degrees of risk. In this case i'd say the Webby and Solly made the percentage decision in covering the space in behind.

I think we were unlucky here

I just don't think Webster ever really knows Bogle is there until the pull back, and by then he's not got a chance to get tight to him, Bogle has all the time in the world to take a touch and then shoot. Webster only needs to be one pace closer and he probably blocks the shot.

These are the fine margins in the PL. A step here or there, ball watching a bit, they cost you a goal when you were completely on top.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Solly doesn't have defensive instincts, which isn't unreasonable as he's a winger being pegged back. But Webster is a defender by trade, his reaction is absolutely incredible. First of all he doesn't know what's happening around him and then when Bogle gets it, Webster stands off him and then dangles a leg when the shot is struck. It's really, really bad defending. Again. I'm very frustrated by Webster because overall I like him but he's often a liability defensively.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Solly doesn't have defensive instincts, which isn't unreasonable as he's a winger being pegged back. But Webster is a defender by trade, his reaction is absolutely incredible. First of all he doesn't know what's happening around him and then when Bogle gets it, Webster stands off him and then dangles a leg when the shot is struck. It's really, really bad defending. Again. I'm very frustrated by Webster because overall I like him but he's often a liability defensively.

Well, he's at least got to attempt the block surely

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd agree with that. Just about everything that COULD hit the woodwork HAS hit the woodwork. And WAY too many unfortunate deflections have been unfortunately deflected past the keeper and into the net. Cruel old game sometimes

Hitting the woodwork isn't bad luck; it's missing the target.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hitting the woodwork isn't bad luck; it's missing the target.

Sometimes I think it's unlucky. Vicente dribbling through (Watford's?) entire team then smashing a shot onto the bar I thought was unlucky.

Jahanbakhsh heading onto the bar with an empty goal in front of him from 2 yards, not so much.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sometimes I think it's unlucky. Vicente dribbling through (Watford's?) entire team then smashing a shot onto the bar I thought was unlucky.

Jahanbakhsh heading onto the bar with an empty goal in front of him from 2 yards, not so much.

Derby, but yes I was going to make the same point. It's further evidence, if needed, that we're not far away

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Definitely others. Webster's dangling leg is a deflection magnet.

Is it bad luck or poor defending? Once or twice could be bad luck but when it happens often enough it starts to look like bad defending. Either block it properly or let the keeper have a chance of saving it.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
A lot of defenders, not just ours, seem to turn their backs on a shot, like they will be maimed if it hits them, even in a wall where they are positioned to stop a shot they turn away, stop it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here