Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Too Lightweight

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
See this written a lot in various posts. What does it actually mean?

One of our greatest ever players was 10 stone dripping wet and played when the opposition would (and were allowed) to try and cut the 'danger men' in half trying to stop them play?

Or is it more a mental description of the modern day footballer?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think it relates to mental, physical and emotional strength

Wardy was strong and had strong characters around him

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
falling-feathers-gif-4.gif

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
See this written a lot in various posts. What does it actually mean?

One of our greatest ever players was 10 stone dripping wet and played when the opposition would (and were allowed) to try and cut the 'danger men' in half trying to stop them play?

Or is it more a mental description of the modern day footballer?

The way I see it, if you spend around £40m (and £130,000 pw) on a striker, you probably (but not definitely) get one with all the below qualities

1) Scores towering headers / outmuscles defenders
2) Scores because he has pace / movement
3) Scores because he has decent instinct around the box

Someone like Raul Jiminez might be a good example

If you pay more like £20m and pay £70p/w, you'll probably get a striker with 1 to 2 of the above qualities.

So Muzza clearly had qualities 1 and 3, (but not 2)

The idea with Maupay, Connolly, Andone and I suppose Tau is that they may have qualities 2 and 3. That's what we hope.

A Connolly, suits our overall style of play more than a Murray. But it does mean we get muscled off the ball, by the brutal size defenders which exist in this division

But to criticise, for example, Connolly as a lightweight player ignores that, there aren't very many six foot 4, 15 stone strikers that have his acceleration and running power, and if there are they will be playing for a much bigger fish than us

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We dont have any hard men..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Yesterday, during the warm up, was the first time I've seen Alexis Mac Allister up close. He's tiny, about the same size and build as Trossard.

Both will need to hit the gym hard.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Not popular I'm sure but I'd like to see us sign a player like John Lundstram, although he's probably off a few christmas lists at the moment!

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
This is "English Football" at its best.. we can throw "lightweight" around like people throw "passion, fight, etc. " around. Apparently, having read much of the angst on here, Sheff United are a terrible team.. only picked up 1 point etc.(they're not of course!) On this thread, is the insinuation that we need to be more like them? Or Burnley - full of physicality.. ? Would Connolly have scored that goal if he were stronger? Would Welbeck not have scored the goal he did if he were less tall?
I am being facetious of course and a balance is needed in any team, but if we scored more of our chances we simply wouldnt be having this debate would we? The glorious chances spurned have nothing to do with our physicality do they?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yesterday, during the warm up, was the first time I've seen Alexis Mac Allister up close. He's tiny, about the same size and build as Trossard.

Both will need to hit the gym hard.

Seen players over-bulk up though, especially wingers and strikers. Knocky the most obvious example

Being light helps with turning and acceleration. Some players will be better footballers at 10 stone than 12

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This is "English Football" at its best.. we can throw "lightweight" around like people throw "passion, fight, etc. " around. Apparently, having read much of the angst on here, Sheff United are a terrible team.. only picked up 1 point etc.(they're not of course!) On this thread, is the insinuation that we need to be more like them? Or Burnley - full of physicality.. ? Would Connolly have scored that goal if he were stronger? Would Welbeck not have scored the goal he did if he were less tall?
I am being facetious of course and a balance is needed in any team, but if we scored more of our chances we simply wouldnt be having this debate would we? The glorious chances spurned have nothing to do with our physicality do they?

Calm down dear, its a game of opinions.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Being literally lightweight is, in itself, not necessarily a drawback. To succeed it has to be paired with intelligence, pace, skill and creative coaching. Just saying.

vade

Dec 7, 2020
It means that in just about every match we lose 50:50 balls. SM falls over every time he is in a close contact tackle. Team needs to show some northern grit.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sheffield United players looked like a rugby league team by comparison

and played like it and generally got away with it. If there was a sin bin for yellow carded players say 5 mins then we would have been playing 7 players at one point. They just kicked players rather than just stop them. Dunk fouled and got a booking but a bit less agricultural than some of theirs.

MOTD scrotums Richards and Dublin saying it wasn't a red card in our game but was in another game ...he could easily have broken Veltman's leg....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here