Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January window

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
If you'd asked me two months ago, I'd have said I neither expect nor particularly want us to buy anyone major in January. It's a difficult window, nobody wants to sell and the prices are therefore inflated, we DO already have significant talent in the squad and we're not exactly raking it in financially at the moment.

However, my opinion feels a little different now. Whilst I feel Potter is very much at fault for a lot of what we're seeing, I think it cannot be denied that some players aren't up to scratch, or are woefully out of form and offering us nothing. We're already getting Moder and possibly Tau back in January, but for me, we may need to dip into the market even further. We NEED better quality if we want to have a chance of staying up, I simply don't trust the current group to get the job done without more investment, even if it's only one or two players.

So based on that, where do we need to invest (striker being an obvious one), and perhaps, who do we need to move on in January, either to generate funds or simply because they aren't good enough. And are there any names specifically you'd like to see us go for?

Obviously expectation is very different from reality, and I'm fully anticipating the traditional 'club are expecting a quiet window' article from Naylor or Owen any day now, but shirley TB can see the squad is in dire need of improvement?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We might try and get that Andone bloke in.

It would be a good window if we could get a decent price for some of our less wanted players.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
At the last transfer window I was hoping for;
Striker - still very valid
Left wing back - still valid in case of a Solly injury
Attacking midfielder - still very valid. We've got some emerging talent but currently not at the levels required
Goalkeeper - Sanchez has hopefully knocked this on its head

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Loan out Ali-J (and Connolly if we get someone else in, before we ruin him).

Raid Ligue 1 for a striker as they're all in trouble financially and it's a good league. May have to spend bigger than we ever have to outbid other Prem teams but there still could be value there.

edit- feck it, sell one of Lamptey, White or Biss if necessary,

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would like to see a striker and/or a winger. Preferably someone who scored a few goals in a top 5 league. I also hope that some of the deadwood the club tried to get rid of in the summer - Ali J & Bernardo (and now probably also Pröpper) - finally leaves.

In:
Moder
Karbo
Winger (Dia? D James?)
Striker (who? Feck do I know)

Out:
Ryan
Bernardo
Pröpper
Ali J

That would be the best case scenario.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Very unlikely probably but Arkadiusz Milik? Is available for transfer this January (not even in Napoli's squad) and contract is out at end of season. 6 foot 1, age 26. I would even take a loan at this point. But probably going to end up at a top 6 club. James or Dia also would be good, Dia actually exceeds his xG which is definitely what we need and James won't need any adaption time.

And for what its worth, POTTER IN.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I'd still be interested to see what Zeqiri and Max Sanders could do with a 90 minute spell in their correct positions.
Zeqiri looks like he can hit the back of the net, meanwhile Sanders looks like he has great vision and passing that can unleash someone like Welbeck.
Trouble is these players rarely get more than 5 or 10 minutes at the end of dire games.
I know we hear "Potter gets to see them in training" but I feel some players just shine (or absolutely the opposite) on the big day.

Anyway, we clearly need back-up / competition for the wingback roles. This is how we choose to play. As soon as either Lamptey or March are out we are f%cked and vulnerable.
I was hoping Karbownik (who can play either side) would come in, in Jan. But apparently we don't have that option.
So: a wingback or two as back up / competition for the formation we absolutely rely on.

And then, of course, a clinical finisher.
Could be Tau I guess.
I can't help but think, based on various quotes from the player and his club president, that we have already lined up Boulaye Dia.
I hope something is in the works.

A creative midfielder / number 10 who can fill Lallana's role when he's injured.
Whatever happened to the potential of Mac Allister? Could Moder do this? Gross seems hit and miss to me. Mostly miss, except for his penalties....

...which brings me on to set pieces. Feels like nobody on the team can take decent free kicks or direct free kicks. Again, what happened to the potential of Mac Allister?

Finally, I would have said a goalie. But Sanchez has literally saved us these last two matches. This guy earned us two points when it might have been zero.
No idea if he will be the real deal. Maybe he will. I do wonder if we also kept negotiations going with Uğurcan Çakır?

Regardless of signings we need urgency in the last third. One touch football. Which Lallana and Welbeck can do together when Lallana is playing higher up the pitch, and Welbeck is on the pitch...(btw, I think Mac Allister can do one-touch football really well and would complement these two very well).

*sigh*

This post was therapeutic.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
A striker and a creative attacker who can play wide or central.

Assuming we stay up I think we need to completely replace our current attack by the start of next season if we’re going to improve and this would be a good start.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I’d be satisfied if we could have Moder, Tau, Izquierdo, & Andone fit & ready to go in January. But that looks unlikely, except Moder.

Connolly, Zeqiri, Molumby, & Walton can all be loaned out.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'd still be interested to see what Zeqiri and Max Sanders could do with a 90 minute spell in their correct positions.
Zeqiri looks like he can hit the back of the net, meanwhile Sanders looks like he has great vision and passing that can unleash someone like Welbeck.
Trouble is these players rarely get more than 5 or 10 minutes at the end of dire games.
I know we hear "Potter gets to see them in training" but I feel some players just shine (or absolutely the opposite) on the big day.

Anyway, we clearly need back-up / competition for the wingback roles. This is how we choose to play. As soon as either Lamptey or March are out we are f%cked and vulnerable.
I was hoping Karbownik (who can play either side) would come in, in Jan. But apparently we don't have that option.
So: a wingback or two as back up / competition for the formation we absolutely rely on.

And then, of course, a clinical finisher.
Could be Tau I guess.
I can't help but think, based on various quotes from the player and his club president, that we have already lined up Boulaye Dia.
I hope something is in the works.

A creative midfielder / number 10 who can fill Lallana's role when he's injured.
Whatever happened to the potential of Mac Allister? Could Moder do this? Gross seems hit and miss to me. Mostly miss, except for his penalties....

...which brings me on to set pieces. Feels like nobody on the team can take decent free kicks or direct free kicks. Again, what happened to the potential of Mac Allister?

Finally, I would have said a goalie. But Sanchez has literally saved us these last two matches. This guy earned us two points when it might have been zero.
No idea if he will be the real deal. Maybe he will. I do wonder if we also kept negotiations going with Uğurcan Çakır?

Regardless of signings we need urgency in the last third. One touch football. Which Lallana and Welbeck can do together when Lallana is playing higher up the pitch, and Welbeck is on the pitch...(btw, I think Mac Allister can do one-touch football really well and would complement these two very well).

*sigh*

This post was therapeutic.

Good therapy . I also wonder why MacAllister doesn't get more playing time - seems to have skill and vision and wasn't afraid to shoot; ??? Also hoping Zeqiri gets some more time, playing with Welbeck preferably.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A left back. ( so we can play 4-4-2)

A striker with proven top flight goal scoring ability. Be it Italian, french, German, English or Spanish. Someone who can kick a ball faster then an oak tree falls over, and hit a 190 sq/ft rectangle ( have removed 2 for luck/paint etc)

That 'COULD' save Pottinkers bacon, and pave his way to another season.

Otherwise spunk the beans on a top manager and make the players we have earn their money . . . In a year of covid you'd like to think most of them feel guilty and might try pretty hard to impress.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
A striker who can do some goals and back up for Lamptey. That’s it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A left back. ( so we can play 4-4-2)

A striker with proven top flight goal scoring ability. Be it Italian, french, German, English or Spanish. Someone who can kick a ball faster then an oak tree falls over, and hit a 190 sq/ft rectangle ( have removed 2 for luck/paint etc)

That 'COULD' save Pottinkers bacon, and pave his way to another season.

Otherwise spunk the beans on a top manager and make the players we have earn their money . . . In a year of covid you'd like to think most of them feel guilty and might try pretty hard to impress.

Totally agree with a left back so we can play something other than a five at the back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here