Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are 4th in the Premier League (behind Liverpool, Man City & Chelsea)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
https://understat.com/league/EPL

Incredible coaching achievement by Graham Potter.

He can only prepare the team and influence overall performances. He can't put the ball in the net.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
he means based on expected points that we should have got - if you filter the tables (just for those who click the link and dont know what youre referring to)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

He can only prepare the team and influence overall performances. He can't put the ball in the net.

No....but he could have improved our chances of scoring by bringing on the only class forward we have, a lot earlier. Instead, he chose to leave on the hopelessly inept Connolly, who managed to get in the way of Welbeck scoring. It was his choice to start with two strikers. One completely devoid of form and confidence and the other completely out of his depth.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If only that counted for anything at all.

Sadly he's the one playing Connolly and not pushing back to the recruitment department that we are somewhat deficient in the striker department.

Plus, look what Calvert-Lewin has done with proper striker coaching from Ferguson.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No....but he could have improved our chances of scoring by bringing on the only class forward we have, a lot earlier. Instead, he chose to leave on the hopelessly inept Connolly, who managed to get in the way of Welbeck scoring. It was his choice to start with two strikers. One completely devoid of form and confidence and the other completely out of his depth.

The trouble is I suppose, our "only class forward" has spent the last few games buggering up all his chances in the same way Connolly buggered up his.

It's not really the manager's fault if he doesn't have any centre forwards he can put on who are even vaguely reliable

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If only that counted for anything at all.

Sadly he's the one playing Connolly and not pushing back to the recruitment department that we are somewhat deficient in the striker department.

Plus, look what Calvert-Lewin has done with proper striker coaching from Ferguson.

I think you have to look at DCL as an example. Nearly 24 now and only just fulfilling his potential. A lot of investment (in the form of wasted chances for about 3 years) had to happen in order for them to see the returns they are getting at the moment

How many strikers have a good scoring record under the age of 21 in the Premier League? Rashford, Rooney, Owen, Fowler. There's not many and there's a good reason for that. It takes time to learn to score goals at the top level

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think you have to look at DCL as an example. Nearly 24 now and only just fulfilling his potential. A lot of investment (in the form of wasted chances for about 3 years) had to happen in order for them to see the returns they are getting at the moment

How many strikers have a good scoring record under the age of 21 in the Premier League? Rashford, Rooney, Owen, Fowler. There's not many and there's a good reason for that. It takes time to learn to score goals at the top level

It creates a circular argument though, doesn't it?

We have to play Connolly for him to get enough experience to be decent. All the time we play him and he is learning we will be below our xG par.

I think a lot of what is posted on here is honestly in vain, and I say that as an "outer". I don't believe for one minute Tony will pull the trigger. He's playing the long game and will take an improvement in the long term using academy players. That's our whole strategy.

However, the elephant in the room is Maupay. 10 goals in your first PL season is decent enough and he was goal a game at the start of this season. Whatever occurred before Spurs happened on Potter the Psychologists watch and he's been a shadow of himself ever since.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

DCL also has the benefit of a manager who has specifically signed some class players to play a formation that allows him to get into the box and receive quality deliveries which he tucks away. There are plenty of key players aiding his season

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
DCL also has the benefit of a manager who has specifically signed some class players to play a formation that allows him to get into the box and receive quality deliveries which he tucks away. There are plenty of key players aiding his season

But isn't the whole point of the thread that we are creating decent chances? I thought that's what xG is?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm afraid that stat just confirms what anyone who has watched us this season already knows. We are nearly always 'in the game' often dominating for long periods and making enough chances to win, against teams throughout this league. We've all known we need a top class finisher ever since Glen started to slow down when he turned 25 :wink:

My big worry is that even splashing out £40M doesn't guarantee us what we want. I think there was a fair bit of optimism that Welbeck could be that if he could stay fit. Well he's stayed fit :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It creates a circular argument though, doesn't it?

We have to play Connolly for him to get enough experience to be decent. All the time we play him and he is learning we will be below our xG par.

I think a lot of what is posted on here is honestly in vain, and I say that as an "outer". I don't believe for one minute Tony will pull the trigger. He's playing the long game and will take an improvement in the long term using academy players. That's our whole strategy.

However, the elephant in the room is Maupay. 10 goals in your first PL season is decent enough and he was goal a game at the start of this season. Whatever occurred before Spurs happened on Potter the Psychologists watch and he's been a shadow of himself ever since.

Not circular argument from me. We have got to make a find a balance between the short term, (ie staying up) and the medium term, bringing the academy players through.

Anybody who expects us to have players roll straight off the academy production line and go into the team without making mistakes isn't being realistic.

We'll see it with Sanchez. Undoubtedly, he'll concede ridiculous goals in important games. It's normal for a young player.

Even Lamptey, who's surely the best young player we've ever had is in and out of the side

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here