Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Width and Balls into the Box

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I’m not quite in the Potter out camp but I think there were two lessons he needs to learn from today:

1. If Lamptey is injured then adjust the formation so we don’t have Veltman playing RWB. We need natural width on both sides. To be fair he did that at half time but we should be start games with Veltman at RWB again.

2. Get the ball in the box sooner and not just when chasing a game in the last ten minutes, from minute one. Look at the chances we created in that last 15 minutes, one goal and two open goals missed by swinging it in with urgency. We need a formation at by facilitates it (see point one)

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I’m not quite in the Potter out camp but I think there were two lessons he needs to learn from today:

1. If Lamptey is injured then adjust the formation so we don’t have Veltman playing RWB. We need natural width on both sides. To be fair he did that at half time but we should be start games with Veltman at RWB again.

2. Get the ball in the box sooner and not just when chasing a game in the last ten minutes, from minute one. Look at the chances we created in that last 15 minutes, one goal and two open goals missed by swinging it in with urgency. We need a formation at by facilitates it (see point one)
3. Get balls into box quicker. Out feet and cross. Trossard and March take too long.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
3. Get balls into box quicker. Out feet and cross. Trossard and March take too long.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

They take too long because there is never anyone in the box.

It's catch 22.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We had Maupay and Connolly up front for much of the game - any crosses would be eaten by the defence anyway as neither are going to get a head on it
Our goal came from initially taking the set-piece short............which sucks a defender out and creates more space - but when we decide we are going to cross it, agree needs to be much quicker. Too much faffing about near the touchline

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It really is like watching two teams isn't it?
When Lamptey is playing we play with so much more width, Solly definitely appears to play wider as well. Every time Lamptey is out, and given he loves a challenge and is assaulted every game he will miss plenty of games, our whole shape, and resultant threat, changes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That’s really not true! There were plenty of times today where we had players in the box waiting for a cross.

Really ? Maupay and Connolly against their big defenders.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bit of a daft comment but I’m not sure what type of goals we are trying to set up to score.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It really is like watching two teams isn't it?
When Lamptey is playing we play with so much more width, Solly definitely appears to play wider as well. Every time Lamptey is out, and given he loves a challenge and is assaulted every game he will miss plenty of games, our whole shape, and resultant threat, changes.

It’s ok cos Potter is (allegedly) the master tactician in making changes according to the situation

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That’s really not true! There were plenty of times today where we had players in the box waiting for a cross.

Yeah sure at corners and once the defenders have got themselves set.

The original post was about getting the ball into the box early.
To do that you need forwards gambling on the early ball coming in.

Ours don't.

Whether that's because our delivery is too slow, or vice versa, is irrelevant.

Slinging it in early when there is no one there is pointless.

Jun 20, 2020
They take too long because there is never anyone in the box.

It's catch 22.

There was a moment in the second half when Dunk had gone up for a corner and stayed up as we worked it back out wide.
Rather than whip the ball in we played it back into our own half and then lost possession. Dunk was the out of position.

Ball retention is important, but we have to start gambling a little bit more when we have committed players forward.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
With Sheffield United defending so narrow and covering all the space in the middle, we had no option that to go out wide and try crosses. They knew they would be able to defend these easily. Although I read a stat that Sheffield United had conceded the majority of their goals from corners. If we can’t convert from corners against them we won’t against anyone.

The other issue was there was no movement from our strikers when trying to play it through the middle. No one dropped deep to try and pull a defender out of position.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There was a moment in the second half when Dunk had gone up for a corner and stayed up as we worked it back out wide.
Rather than whip the ball in we played it back into our own half and then lost possession. Dunk was the out of position.

Ball retention is important, but we have to start gambling a little bit more when we have committed players forward.

We have now managed 1 goal all season from "slinging it into the mixer"
How many corners did we have today?

I can see why the players don't think it's the percentage move.

Jun 20, 2020
We have now managed 1 goal all season from "slinging it into the mixer"
How many corners did we have today?

I can see why the players don't think it's the percentage move.

And today we conceded a goal on the break after deciding not to sling it into the mixer and losing possession playing it at a pedestrian pace in the middle of the park.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
There was so much overplay today, and this is one of potters biggest issue imo. All day they were looking for that extra pass, trying to walk the ball into the net.

Not only does it limit us in an attacking sense, it also makes us more vulnerable from counters (which their goal came from today). Particularly when you play with sub-standard players like jahanbakhsh, which makes you more likely to lose the ball. Sometimes taking a shot would be so much better, either you score, get a set piece or miss and have a chance to regain your shape and stop the counter.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
There was a definite reluctance to get the ball into the middle ie to hit Welbeck, too many balls across the park not into the box or not having the guile to give an incisive pass through to a forward, to feet or to run onto. However, needs movement in the box. Missed a couple of heading open goals but the more chances the more likely to get a goal. So dissappointing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here