Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Make 1st January 2021 National Shite Day!

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
The following is unashamedly copied from the National Shite Day Facebook Group.

Around this time of year there's often a campaign to make this or that song No1 for Christmas in an effort to break the monotonous stream of tawdry pop rubbish that the major labels like to make us suffer from. I'm not gonna do that this year. Instead, to mark our final, ignominious exit from the EU I thought it'd be fun to try and manipulate the singles chart for a New Year's No 1. The song I have in mind is National Shite Day by the excellent Half Man Half Biscuit.

Due to the lower volumes of music purchases made in the the period after Chrimbo compared to the week before this should be much easier to achieve than nobbling to top spot on 25th December. Also, because the charts are compiled from data collected from Friday to Thursday, with Christmas and New Years Day both falling on Friday this season, its a lot easier to remember when to purchase a copy of the chosen tune. From midnight on Christmas day (that's the midnight before you open the presents) till Midnight on New years day (that's the midnight you're forgetting the words to Auld Lang Syne again) is the crucial period to purchase a download of the song. Plays on streaming services also count at a rate of 100 paid streams = 1 purchase or 600 free streams = 1 purchase so fire up Spotify, Deezer or whatever and leave the song playing on repeat for the week (you might want to turn the volume down after an hour or two but it'll still count. Radio airtime is another avenue so pester every DJ on every station - you never know, you might find one who's brave enough to play it. Finally there's video which for some reason compiles chart data from Sunday to Saturday so you'll have to start watching on Sunday but it still gets counted for the overall charts I think / maybe / possibly (somebody might want to step in with a correction here).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It'll be competing with this new years number one campaign:

[tweet]1338048229234110469[/tweet]

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I subscribe to Spotify, so does that count as a paid stream, or does it mean where you make a discrete payment for playing it??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here