Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Has anyone on NSC ever owned an MG Midget, or does anyone own one now?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I am thinking of buying a chrome bumper MG Midget. I need a convertible car that's really narrow, because the garage of my new flat is minuscule. As NSC is the font of all knowledge, please can a current Midget owner, or someone who has previously owned one give me constructive advice?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not a Midget but an MGB, very similar.
Great car and a real old fashioned driving experience.
But it is essential that you get one that has been properly renovated especially the engine and hood.
Check for rust over the whole car see if it has been rust proofed.
If you get a bad one you will spend more time with the bonnet up than down.
I loved my MGB but it had to go and i replaced it with a Mazda MX5 Mk1 with the pop up headlights a truly great 2 seat sports car.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am thinking of buying a chrome bumper MG Midget. I need a convertible car that's really narrow, because the garage of my new flat is minuscule. As NSC is the font of all knowledge, please can a current Midget owner, or someone who has previously owned one give me constructive advice?

Minuscule garage and a flat, pushbike is probably more your thing. :whistle:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I loved my MGB but it had to go and i replaced it with a Mazda MX5 Mk1 with the pop up headlights a truly great 2 seat sports car.

100% agree. Mrs P has a 1994 Japanese import MX5 Eunos Roadster. British racing green and tan soft top. Bloody lovely.

I've only driven it a couple of times as I'm still learning to drive. Quite mad though as I've been learning in a Yaris hybrid and the difference is something else, even to a rookie driver like me :lolol:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I own a MGB roadster. 1969 convertible. We love our vehicle, though use the car mainly in the summer. Garaged for most of the year

I used to have a lovely 1971 chrome bumper MGB. I have a Z3 now. It's absolutely fantastic, but has a fat a$$. That's why I'm thinking of getting an MG Midget. Heritage body, hopefully rust free.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Minuscule garage and a flat, pushbike is probably more your thing. :whistle:

I've got a Z3, which has a fat a$$ and a push bike. All of the cars I've owned have been convertibles and I really fancy an MG Midget heritage shell, which should eliminate the rust problem.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I have an Austin Healey Sprite which is the same car. I rarely drive it as very much a summer only past time with 60’s untreated steel not loving the rain. You need to be agile and not fat just to get in the thing and there are height issues. The drive is compact and slow but there are lots of positives. Easy to maintain and repair, will put a huge smile on your face on a sunny day and can allow yourself to get quite nostalgic over a bygone age.

Wouldn’t work on the intercourse thread unless you get out

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A good friend had one for many years, great fun to drive but loads of problems. Favourite moment was disappearing through a hedge near Chichester when the brakes gave up .... enjoy :thumbsup:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
If you buy from matchbox, you’ll be able to fit any model into your garage

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
May I ask how tall you are? If you're wedded to the idea of a midget, great, but at a shade over 6ft 3in, I found a midget very cramped and a Triumph Spitfire a better bet. The Spitfire is about 3 or 4 inches wider depending on model but for me it was a more comfortable choice.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Got a 74 midget.

Nice, easy car to work on. I love charging round b-roads in mine.

I mean it’s awful really, compared to something vaguely modern like an mx5. However, it’s hard to get more of a thrill doing 30mph. Which is about as fast as you want to go in a midget.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A good friend had one for many years, great fun to drive but loads of problems. Favourite moment was disappearing through a hedge near Chichester when the brakes gave up .... enjoy :thumbsup:

I was rattling down the M40 on a summers night in my MGB Roadster when the off side headlight came away and just missed the top of the windscreen.
That was the point when i decided to look at a more modern 2 seater sports.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I used to have an MG but I took it to the pub, went for a walk and never found my way back again. Does anyone know what pub it is?

attachment.php

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here