Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dean Wilkins

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He should be managing a club at a reasonable standard. As our Youth Team manager, he excelled.

Didn’t he have trouble managing senior players or is that an Urban Myth? GM springs to mind

Did he ever get another job as No1 again after us? tells you all you need to know

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We played some great football under Wilkins. Thought he could be building something with a young team.
I can't remember the circumstances around his sacking, wasn't it a bit murky?

Surprised we haven't seen the well known department store yet :lolol:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I always got the impression that there were issues between him and the club at the end. I certainly don't think he was happy with getting sacked (who would be?). I hope i've got that wrong though and there is no animosity between him and the club as I've always considered him a great servant to the club. For that goal against Ipswich he earned immortality. I hope he does well at Stevenage.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Didn’t he have trouble managing senior players or is that an Urban Myth? GM springs to mind

Well to be fair he was far from the only manager to have issues with our Glenn and his alleged lazy training mthods, Gus springs to mind.

As Glenn himself admits, he wishes he had tried harder back in the day, he could have been playing in the top division much earlier if he had.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I do wonder if Albion history would have been different if he had been big enough to stay as Micky Adams's Number 2 in 2008?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thought he was great and harshly treated by Knight. I know rumours were put about that somehow he wasn't fit for the job but as a fan I thought the football was great, and loved him bringing through some youngsters for the first time in several years.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
One of the greatest servants in the clubs history. Certainly like no other in the past 40 years.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I do wonder if Albion history would have been different if he had been big enough to stay as Micky Adams's Number 2 in 2008?

Big enough?

It wasn't Wilkins' ego that was a problem. He had just taken a team to 7th who really had no business being that high in the league. That team overachieved that season and then Micky comes in and dismantled that team.

I am surprised he's gone to work with Alex Revell though, I didn't think they got on at all well?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I remember the Wilkins area quite fondly although I wasn't a regular at games in those times.

My feeling was – Brighton won't ever be a Premier League team, so let's enjoy supporting a club that develops young talent and local players, and see how far that takes us.

Great that we seem to have the best of both worlds these days.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Big enough?

It wasn't Wilkins' ego that was a problem. He had just taken a team to 7th who really had no business being that high in the league. That team overachieved that season and then Micky comes in and dismantled that team.

I am surprised he's gone to work with Alex Revell though, I didn't think they got on at all well?
I guess it helps when you have a future Premier League forward up front

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here