Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Random question - do you warm you car engine up

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
before you floor it?

I am shocked at how many people get in their car and accelerate away very quickly. Things may be different with modern engines but I was always told that the worst thing for an engine (apart from shit gear changes) was to not let the engine warm up before you gave it high revs.

Obviously not a problem for you electric car owners.

So, are you unwittingly knackering your engine by hard acceleration from cold? Maybe you don’t care because you change cars every couple of years and leave the problem for the next owner? :wink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't warm it up, but neither do I floor it immediately, if ever.

How long are you leaving it idling for before you drive away?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This. I have to reverse out of my drive, for starters, and then it’s a minimum 5 minutes of slow residential roads before I reach anywhere you could open up.

I’m ready to stand corrected by the petrolheads, but I’d imagine the need to warm up an engine is redundant in modern cars. Not that you’d have known it, from my **** of a (former) neighbour, who insisted on starting his car and leaving it chugging on the drive for a full ten minutes, at 6am every morning. The absolute cock.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Maybe you don’t care because you change cars every couple of years and leave the problem for the next owner? :wink:

This spark might ignite a combustible thread.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m ready to stand corrected by the petrolheads, but I’d imagine the need to warm up an engine is redundant in modern cars. Not that you’d have known it, from my **** of a (former) neighbour, who insisted on starting his car and leaving it chugging on the drive for a full ten minutes, at 6am every morning. The absolute cock.

It's a shame you didn't know [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] lived next door - you could have shared lifts to games.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As Swiss Tony might say, you should treat your car as you would treat a lady.

Swisstoni.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes, not long though, then a gentle drive through estate. its probably not so necessary with modern synthetic oils. not just engine, catalytic converters dont work properly at low temperature, so chuck out lots of nastier stuff especially diesels.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I believe modern fuel injected engines no longer need warming up, only carbureted engines do.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
modern toss I don't care about, I do keep revs down until its warmed up a bit though.

the reace car and older stuff, yes, always warm them up, at £10k + a pop, and highly strung you'd be a fool not to.

I've wrecked a Lambretta piston/cylinder this year by thrashing it hard before it properly warmed up, the underlying problem was fuel starvation, but never the less, it wouldn't have killed it had it all been up to remperature. Disparity in expansion rates of differing materials, iron cylinder, aluminium pistons.

As an aside, its quite possible to wreck engines if they get too hot as well. modern fuel is rubbish. , although modern management of engines compensates for most things. I've learnt quite a lot about that in recent years on Dynos and rolling roads.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I believe modern fuel injected engines no longer need warming up, only carbureted engines do.

From really cold they do it is the cylinders/pistons that need to warm before they are under load or rev highly. Realistically however no one starts car and within 30 seconds is gunning it up the road.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I let them warm up whilst I'm unlocking the gates and demisting them. I say "them" because I'm lucky enough to own a few cars of varying ages and mileages .Although modern ,fully synthetic engine oils are much, much better and engineering tolerances closer, some manufacturerers have very long oil change intervals. 18000 miles is not uncommon. After that sort of mileage / time I reckon the oil is shot. As I tend to buy my cars and motorcycles new I also run them in and have an earlier than recommended oil change. Am I weird or just protecting my investment in my vehicles?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Explained myself badly. I drive off immediately but keep the revs low until the engine is warm before I give it the beans, which I do but only when warm :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think warming the car up is up there with 'use the engine to brake' in modern vehicles. Only time I'll do it is if it's iced up, then it gets a few mins on the drive to thaw. Can't floor it immediately even if I wanted to as it takes a few mins to get to anywhere that you could.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a shame you didn't know [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] lived next door - you could have shared lifts to games.

I am offended :down:

I love how some owners of diesels leave them to warm up before driving away as I’m not convinced they do unless you leave them for ages

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I think OP means do you let the engine warm up naturally through normal driving before reaching higher engine speeds, not leaving it idling to warm up.

If the former, yes always. The latter, only for a few minutes on the coldest mornings.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I drive at 40 mph max before firing it up, ie when the temp guage is high. It was born in 1997 though so I think it needs caring for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here