Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Moving the goalposts

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So far since the start of this season there have been several changes both on and off field which could materially affect the outcome of games. We've had the alteration to handball, we have had fans allowed in some grounds, and now it seems that there is to be extra concussion subs allowed from January.

Whilst I think that each of these changes are for the better, it does seem somewhat unfair to teams that have already dropped points only to find that the next match when perhaps they would have benefited from the old rules they don't.

Should these changes have waited for the start of the season or is it OK to change rules part way through the season giving some teams an advantage?

The allowing fans is a complete one off and probably unavoidable and not really the same as rule changes so maybe thats not relevant, although it could certainly advantage those teams that can have fans.

To me it seems grossly unfair to move the goal posts mid competition and sets a precedent. Its not even been done when teams have all played the same number of games

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We definitely shouldn't wait till the start of next season until concussion subs if that's deemed better for player welfare

The team that wins will deserve to, the teams that go down will deserve to.

I've no problem with improving the game as soon as it's possible to do so. Especially in these (absolutely ******* hate this description) unprecedented times

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So far since the start of this season there have been several changes both on and off field which could materially affect the outcome of games. We've had the alteration to handball, we have had fans allowed in some grounds, and now it seems that there is to be extra concussion subs allowed from January.

Whilst I think that each of these changes are for the better, it does seem somewhat unfair to teams that have already dropped points only to find that the next match when perhaps they would have benefited from the old rules they don't.

Should these changes have waited for the start of the season or is it OK to change rules part way through the season giving some teams an advantage?

The allowing fans is a complete one off and probably unavoidable and not really the same as rule changes so maybe thats not relevant, although it could certainly advantage those teams that can have fans.

To me it seems grossly unfair to move the goal posts mid competition and sets a precedent. Its not even been done when teams have all played the same number of games

No. If concussion subs could prevent as little as one player getting permanent brain damage its 100% worth it and should have been done a long time ago.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
But if Boris and his government are changing the rules every five minutes not sure why football shouldn't follow suit.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
**** me, don't move the fecking goalposts we don't know where they are now..:moo:

But if we moved the posts 5 yards to the right, and got the players shooting as they are currently, then against Liverpool we would have taken a 2 goal lead, as Connolly would have scored when put through, and Maupay's penalty would have gone in.

So on this basis, moving the goalposts may be the only thing keeping us from being a top 10 side.

Who is to say that same team wont have another player get concussion from January - they would equally benefit from a future rule change.

But if we moved the posts 5 yards to the right, and got the players shooting as they are currently, then against Liverpool we would have taken a 2 goal lead, as Connolly would have scored when put through, and Maupay's penalty would have gone in.

So on this basis, moving the goalposts may be the only thing keeping us from being a top 10 side.

On the other hand, moving them nearer (and lets lower the bar by 2 feet whilst we are at it) even Ryan might have been able to save the goals he's let in this season.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
On the other hand, moving them nearer (and lets lower the bar by 2 feet whilst we are at it) even Ryan might have been able to save the goals he's let in this season.

forza_alu_mini_target_football_goal_1.jpg Ryan's dream..

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

But we would have no way of knowing which way they'd be moving them, for instance if they had moved them to the right the two efforts you have mentioned would have been even worse.

Nothing ever good comes from tinkering, ask Mr. Potter. :rolleyes::xmas:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm 100% in favour of concussion subs - and rigorous enforcement of protocols for anyone getting a bang on the head. 'No brainer' is probably the wrong phrase but that's what it is...............

Rule changes mid-season is similar to the debate re VAR in the FA Cup and people saying it's unfair to have it in some games and not others. I don't buy it - as long as the environment is the same for both teams playing the game at the time it doesn't matter IMO.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
The concussion subs one seems to me to have gone a bit wrong. By making the sub permanent at the time they are forcing someone to decide immediately if concussion has occurred. It would surely be better to follow rugby and allow a temporary sub while the injury is properly assessed. The way football has gone seems more about protecting the club than the player.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The concussion subs one seems to me to have gone a bit wrong. By making the sub permanent at the time they are forcing someone to decide immediately if concussion has occurred. It would surely be better to follow rugby and allow a temporary sub while the injury is properly assessed. The way football has gone seems more about protecting the club than the player.

Or wait for the dishonest managers who get someone to feign a head injury!

Rugby went this route with blood injuries and that ended well with a famous incident of a player being given blood capsules on the pitch to feign injury and allow a substitution...

It will happen!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here