Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watching every away game

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm not sure what to make of being able to watch every away game now we're in the premier league - it's great to be able to see every Albion game but at the same time it means we see a lot more poor performances or games where we are under the cosh, which colours our opinion of the team.

I always enjoy going to a few away games each season, they can be great days out, even when - as often happens - the result goes against us. But most of the time, in olden days, for most of us away games would happen on the radio or we'd just see the score. Poor performances would be quickly passed over as we enjoyed the next home game - that's where the majority of us see us play.

There are very few teams who put in good away performances consistently over a few seasons. But now with every game on the telly we can scrutinise these performances in far more detail, and I'm not sure its particularly healthy for us!

(yes, I'm aware we've won more away than at home in the past year (!) , but I still think performances have been more dominant at home, with luck and circumstances colouring that fact)

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I'm not sure what to make of being able to watch every away game now we're in the premier league - it's great to be able to see every Albion game but at the same time it means we see a lot more poor performances or games where we are under the cosh, which colours our opinion of the team.

I always enjoy going to a few away games each season, they can be great days out, even when - as often happens - the result goes against us. But most of the time, in olden days, for most of us away games would happen on the radio or we'd just see the score. Poor performances would be quickly passed over as we enjoyed the next home game - that's where the majority of us see us play.

There are very few teams who put in good away performances consistently over a few seasons. But now with every game on the telly we can scrutinise these performances in far more detail, and I'm not sure its particularly healthy for us!

(yes, I'm aware we've won more away than at home in the past year (!) , but I still think performances have been more dominant at home, with luck and circumstances colouring that fact)

Clearly you never watched any of Hughton's away performances then?

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

I think that is probably true. Also there is an overkill of football and its reached saturation point. I know you don't have to watch every game, and I don't but I do watch the Albion games if I can and Sunday and last night would test the most passionate supporter.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's one of the few real positives of the COVID crisis that I can watch all the Albion games, home and away.

I think we've been pretty good away from home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Aways for me, when things were normal, were a day or weekend on the beer. Jolly boys outing where the score was largely an irrelevance (unless we won against Palace or the game was something like the double come-back against Fulham culminating in Dunky's goal and the limbs behind the goal). I can barely remember some of the away games I've been to in terms of action but very much remember the day out. And you've always got the worst view.

Now I sit through each and every missed pass and scuffed shot, on the sofa with my son, seemingly either later in the evening or at lunchtime. Sometimes I will have a beer or two or some cheap wine. Others I will stay sober. Not once have I had a good, big get together in a pub even. So every move is dissected in my brain, every miss extends the boredom and thanks to ****ing VAR I don't even celebrate when we score.

In short, the OP has a very good point.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Aways for me, when things were normal, were a day or weekend on the beer. Jolly boys outing where the score was largely an irrelevance (unless we won against Palace or the game was something like the double come-back against Fulham culminating in Dunky's goal and the limbs behind the goal). I can barely remember some of the away games I've been to in terms of action but very much remember the day out. And you've always got the worst view.

This.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Clearly you never watched any of Hughton's away performances then?

Wolves away; towards end of season in 2018/2019. I was there.

No shots on target; errrrr, no shots! The Wolves fans were chanting "we were anti-football". Solid anti-football performance with backs to the wall.

That point kept us up. However, would rather die of covid19 than have to watch that performance every other week. "...........life matters"1

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Due to an impending house move (lots to do) and not having Amazon, I have not watched the last two games. I listened last night on the radio, but Sunday I watched the NFL and didn't really give it too much thought (especially after seeing the half time score).

Having watched every game since lockdown, mostly alone at home, it was actually quite refreshing to have a break. Normally if I don't go to an away game I'll be doing something else with the family, so it's not too on my mind. All these games on TV at home have been a bit intense.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Now I sit through each and every missed pass and scuffed shot, on the sofa with my son, seemingly either later in the evening or at lunchtime. Sometimes I will have a beer or two or some cheap wine. Others I will stay sober. Not once have I had a good, big get together in a pub even. So every move is dissected in my brain, every miss extends the boredom and thanks to ****ing VAR I don't even celebrate when we score.

In short, the OP has a very good point.

This. I watch far more of the game but sober and without the joy of the travel and the day I'm well.. bored as much as anything. I'll never stop following the Albion ever but I'm not as enthused with the game itself, the PL, VAR, elements of our fanbase or the fact that going out and drinking are both getting harder even when this awful period is over. Not sure what the next step for me is to be honest but it may not be going back to 80% of the games every season...

Jimmy Grimble

Yeah agreed. I wanted to take a break last night but couldn’t bring myself to do it knowing it was just a click away. I’ll be mildly relieved when I can have a break from watching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here