Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory party urges members to weaponise fake news...

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, we enjoyed an hour in the sunny uplands of the Big Board. To be fair, this topic was destined for the pit.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Genuine question. What will “recovered” look like?

First we have to get the Tory party out. Then the hard work begins. Not least unravelling the real figures behind all their doctored stats on employment, national debt, pension deficits, poverty etc.
It will be akin to going into a hoarders house after they have died. Old broken fridges full of unpaid bills, milk bottles brimming with people employed on worthless variable hours contracts, ruined communities turned into Lego land by the tory policy of "no planning required" wrapped up in old newspapers and stuffed down the broken toilet.
The auditors are going to be busy for decades after Johnson and his cronies are turfed out.

Then some poor sod has the unenviable but wholly necessary task of getting us back into the EU, or at least establishing some kind of workable trade arrangement.

Christ! what a mess.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Blair/Campbell/Iraq.

Ring any bells?

This is a fair point, and that was a deeply corrosive episode. Campbell and Blair mastered spin, which was far more about emphasising the 'good' parts of policy, etc and downplaying the 'bad'. But they had to do it, because (and despite Trump's claims about the mainstream media, and the constant attacks over the biased BBC over here -- which is a load of old nonsense) the media in this country are Tory-oriented. The press continues to exert a profound influence -- think of the decades worth of Euroscepticism drip-fed to the public since the 1980s, by 'organs' owned by non-domiciled figures with a clear and consistent agenda.

The current cohort of Tories (and their cheerleaders in the media) have taken things to a different level, although I'd still hesitate to accuse them of lying -- in much the same way that I'd hesitate to say that Blair lied over Iraq -- because they genuinely believe that Brexit will produce beneficial effects (just as Blair believed that Hussein had WMD). Both of these things can only be confirmed in the long term. Just as Iraq was proved to not have WMD, my strong suspicion is that Brexit will not improve the UK's status in the world. Rather, quite the opposite, it will accelerate its decline.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A question for the mod that moved this thread to The Bear Pit: pourquoi?

I ask this because:
-- I was initially opposed to the creation of TBP
-- I think I might have been wrong in that initial response, in no small part because it's marginalised certain posters to TBP, and I/the majority of users don't have to endure their output
-- I'm not sure that this thread had degenerated into anything uncivil. It was bound to but, unless I'm missing something, it hadn't

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Lets face it for the Tories since 2016, its so far so good.

Now an 80 seat majority and a liar at the helm surrounded by nodding dogs

Plus the offshore media on your side.

The public are fast becoming easy meat, gaslight central...

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is a fair point, and that was a deeply corrosive episode. Campbell and Blair mastered spin, which was far more about emphasising the 'good' parts of policy, etc and downplaying the 'bad'. But they had to do it, because (and despite Trump's claims about the mainstream media, and the constant attacks over the biased BBC over here -- which is a load of old nonsense) the media in this country are Tory-oriented. The press continues to exert a profound influence -- think of the decades worth of Euroscepticism drip-fed to the public since the 1980s, by 'organs' owned by non-domiciled figures with a clear and consistent agenda.

The current cohort of Tories (and their cheerleaders in the media) have taken things to a different level, although I'd still hesitate to accuse them of lying -- in much the same way that I'd hesitate to say that Blair lied over Iraq -- because they genuinely believe that Brexit will produce beneficial effects (just as Blair believed that Hussein had WMD). Both of these things can only be confirmed in the long term. Just as Iraq was proved to not have WMD, my strong suspicion is that Brexit will not improve the UK's status in the world. Rather, quite the opposite, it will accelerate its decline.

I agree largely but this point, this simply isn't true. Cameron held the referendum to claw back votes he was losing to UKIP. Boris Johnson has previously stated many times Brexit would be a disaster, even going as far as to pen two articles, one in favour of Brexit, one against Brexit. He waited until the vote was in until he chose which one to publish.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree largely but this point, this simply isn't true. Cameron held the referendum to claw back votes he was losing to UKIP. Boris Johnson has previously stated many times Brexit would be a disaster, even going as far as to pen two articles, one in favour of Brexit, one against Brexit. He waited until the vote was in until he chose which one to publish.

I wasn't speaking about Johnson specifically. If I wanted to, I would have named him. So, there's plenty of truth in what I said.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A question for the mod that moved this thread to The Bear Pit: pourquoi?

I ask this because:
-- I was initially opposed to the creation of TBP
-- I think I might have been wrong in that initial response, in no small part because it's marginalised certain posters to TBP, and I/the majority of users don't have to endure their output
-- I'm not sure that this thread had degenerated into anything uncivil. It was bound to but, unless I'm missing something, it hadn't

I think it’s a new rule, no political threads on a match day, the OP wouldn’t have appreciated this as he he isn’t a BHAFC fan [emoji106]

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see Chicken Run / Pasta / JCFG has found us. Or whatever account he is using today. So it wouldn't have lasted long on the BB once this one arrives. And it signals my departure too. It won't be long before he starts throwing about personal insults, claiming I'm not a fan, calling me Nibble etc. If he hasn't started already. Basically he signals the death of civilised conversation. Not for me, Clive.
TTFN TC

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I see Chicken Run / Pasta / JCFG has found us. Or whatever account he is using today. So it wouldn't have lasted long on the BB once this one arrives. And it signals my departure too. It won't be long before he starts throwing about personal insults, claiming I'm not a fan, calling me Nibble etc. If he hasn't started already. Basically he signals the death of civilised conversation. Not for me, Clive.
TTFN TC

Excellent, seeing you scurrying away like the nasty shiit stirrer that you are means my work is complete, I’ll keep an eye out in future for your bullshit threads going forward[emoji23][emoji23]

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
TTFN TC

:bigwave::bigwave:

Jan 30, 2008
Sent in an internal newsletter to its members in Peter Bone’s constituency of Wellingborough, the Tory party urged its members to “make dishonest claims and knock honest politicians off the front page”.

“Make nine ridiculous claims, yes it’ll sound like you spoke nonsense but the opposition will have to spend a week disproving them all”.

Seriously, this country is in deep, deep trouble with this government at the helm.

Thanks for tha
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...KLJhvkTMR5gOcw9zdxsu_HRUReyQ8nHPKREvVGpuR_RKY

Thanks for that bit of fake news Nibble
Regards
DF

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here