Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday advice, Instow

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm seeking the advice of the NSC hive mind. Instow, Devon. August. Is it OK to swim there?

One site says it isn't recommended. We booked a holiday for next August before seeing this, and are now mithering about cancelling. Without proper grounds we'd lose the deposit, which the sister in law (part of the party) can't afford. On the other hand, if the local beach is crowded and uswimmable, what's the point?

It's a drive to Westward Ho which looks nice, and the Tackles are happy to drive about to find a nice spot, but the in laws less so.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Low comedy is not discouraged.

HWT.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm seeking the advice of the NSC hive mind. Instow, Devon. August. Is it OK to swim there?

One site says it isn't recommended. We booked a holiday for next August before seeing this, and are now mithering about cancelling. Without proper grounds we'd lose the deposit, which the sister in law (part of the party) can't afford. On the other hand, if the local beach is crowded and uswimmable, what's the point?

It's a drive to Westward Ho which looks nice, and the Tackles are happy to drive about to find a nice spot, but the in laws less so.

HWT.

I travel to Instow every year lovely part of the world, you won’t like it don’t go, try Redruth instead, they have a nice pool there!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I travel to Instow every year lovely part of the world, you won’t like it don’t go, try Redruth instead, they have a nice pool there!

Nail on the head. The Conservative Clubs in the area have the air of run down Whetherspoons. Sea quality is dreadful as beach in an estuary and not coastal (Hove water quality is sh*t too and I go in there).
Lovely part of the world on the edge of better Dartmoor and Exmoor but, as you say, it's the people who go there every year that let it down.:lolol::lolol:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I stayed near bideford a few years ago. Westwood Ho is ok , but Saunton Sands and Woolacombe are excellent beache. It is surfer territory out there because its Atlantic facing. TBH sounds like you would have been better off looking at the south coast of Devon

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

HWT.

If you're fit enough and feeling up to it then I say go for it. Me, I would drive or get a coach. :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Saunton Sands is the place to go!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for the help (and the jokes). I suspect we will go ahead rather than lose £900 deposit. A drive to the Ho! sounds like the answer for me. Sister in law will have to . . . improvise. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Croyde, around the corner...cracking idyllic place, lovely beach, decent surf, coastal walks what more can you ask for?

Yes, we stayed there this summer. It was great. Sadly, too expensive this year. :thumbsup:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

HWT.

Apologies, I don't understand the question - what is this 'holiday' thing that you speak of?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

HWT.

Remember to stay in your own ''Bubble''

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009PU0UQ?tag=3377991-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=A11YQ3HC7I

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here