Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New strain of Covid?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Hancock says new variant of Covid may explain fast spread of virus in south of England"

Followed by

"Hancock says it is 'highly unlikely' that vaccine won't work with new variant of Covid"

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Zero evidence it spreads faster, it’s blatant fear mongering from Matt Hancock, I honestly despise the man.

3A85C9AC-2941-4C9E-B77A-11B9BF08CD9A.png

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Depends what you decided to selectively quote. Hancock said regarding the rise in cases in the South East:

“We do not know the extent to which this is because of the new variant"

Let’s be honest Matt Hancock and the government knew full well the press and main stream daily news would take this and run with it. I wonder how many people will see a headline like that on the news this evening and be very worried by it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Let’s be honest Matt Hancock and the government knew full well the press and main stream daily news would take this and run with it. I wonder how many people will see a headline like that on the news this evening and be very worried by it.

We haven’t seen eye to eye on much regarding Covid, but I’m 100% with you on this one. I think this is a cynical attempt by government to try to rein people in...

Reap what you sow!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
For the government to 'officially announce' this in this manner does raise an eyebrow or two.

At first I thought FFS, this is bad news, but then with all the caveats and uncertainties, I realised its a pointless thing to say at this stage.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
For the government to 'officially announce' this in this manner does raise an eyebrow or two.

At first I thought FFS, this is bad news, but then with all the caveats and uncertainties, I realised its a pointless thing to say at this stage.
"A new Covid-19 variant has been identified in the UK, the health secretary has revealed, suggesting it could be linked to the rapid spread of the virus in south-east England as millions more people in London are being moved into the toughest restrictions."

They are admitting a new strain has been found.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
"A new Covid-19 variant has been identified in the UK, the health secretary has revealed, suggesting it could be linked to the rapid spread of the virus in south-east England as millions more people in London are being moved into the toughest restrictions."

They are admitting a new strain has been found.

I know, and my first reaction was 'we're all doomed' (likely most others too?), before I read and listened to some other things about it and realised, at this stage, it's potentially of no cause for concern at all.

Equally, it could be said that a new variant has been been identified and it could have absolutely no link to the rapid spread in the SE.

Did the government announce whether the new variant could be more or less serious?

It seems like due process has been skipped IMO, in order for a juicy headline.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I believe the fact the lockdown 2 was pretty much ignored my too many people in Rother and Hastings is the reason for the rapid spread

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I know, and my first reaction was 'we're all doomed' (likely most others too?), before I read and listened to some other things about it and realised, at this stage, it's potentially of no cause for concern at all.

Equally, it could be said that a new variant has been been identified and it could have absolutely no link to the rapid spread in the SE.

Did the government announce whether the new variant could be more or less serious?

It seems like due process has been skipped IMO, in order for a juicy headline.
It's an unknown. Which is why in my opinion they shouldn't have came out and announced it.

It has the potential to cause widespread fear.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

I've seen plenty of normally level headed people on social media just posting the headline in a state of panic

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's an unknown. Which is why in my opinion they shouldn't have came out and announced it.

It has the potential to cause widespread fear.

I’m fairly sure I read when viruses mutate, they weaken, so less likely to kill.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
last time i checked, a while now, there were about 70-80 strains of covid. they're useful differences for tracking infection routes, essentially the same thing so a vaccine will work. if it changes to be vaccine immune, it'll be a new

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I’m fairly sure I read when viruses mutate, they weaken, so less likely to kill.
It's a totally random change.

Sometimes they change so they spread easier, sometimes harder.

Sometimes they change to show different symptoms.

Sometimes they become more deadly, sometimes not.

Sometimes it means the current vaccine will have no effect.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's a totally random change.

Sometimes they change so they spread easier, sometimes harder.

Sometimes they change to show different symptoms.

Sometimes they become more deadly, sometimes not.

Sometimes it means the current vaccine will have no effect.

Yes the mutation is random but [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] is right they usually weaken as by not killing their host they are able to spread more easily. If they mutate to spread less easily then they won't out compete the existing strains .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I believe the fact the lockdown 2 was pretty much ignored my too many people in Rother and Hastings is the reason for the rapid spread

which is a shame as they'd done really well upto end of November, having lower rates than most Kent. really makes one wonder what people do differently to make the spread increase.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
which is a shame as they'd done really well upto end of November, having lower rates than most Kent. really makes one wonder what people do differently to make the spread increase.
Rother and Hastings have been among the lowest rates from March through to November. I drive my wife to work early mornings to the Conquest and then pick her up again and there was zero difference in the number of vehicles on the road before, during and after lockdown 2.

I think people knowing that it was so low just thought it'll be aright to ignore it. Maybe too many people decided that they needed to travel to Ashford and Blue water Christmas present buying.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here