Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] They are the ones that said we are going for top 10.........................

scouse23

Jan 30, 2008
Listen i'm very happy being in the Premier League, but it was Barber or Ashworth or one of the other suits who said we would be aiming for top a 10 place this year, so this is what is in the back of most fans heads at the moment, they set the expectation level and come the end of the season they need to deliver.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Long term. Could be 10 years. Why does everyone want everything immediately these days.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I understood it to be a long term aim and fully expected us to be around the relegation places but hoped we would have more points in the bag at this stage. Our transfer window should have given a clue to anyone who thought we could expect top 10. No way are we doing anything but setting up to inch forward.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Given the recent performances it's looking like a VERY long term ambition! But no it was never said it was the aim for this season.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Im glad thats where their aim is. Im aiming to retire by 50. Both quite unlikely, probably the latter more so.
Better than hearing we are aiming to stay in the division year on year

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Didn't they actually say that being a top 10 team was our long-term goal?

Yeah they did.

and every one knows what they said.
Just some people like to make out that somehow Tony has let them down by failing to make us the club they want us to be, immediately.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It was said before Coronavirus smashed the finances !!

I'll allow them a little leeway in timescales myself.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
With the correct tactics and one or two new genuine first teamers (who can stay fit) we'd be there or there abouts.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Listen i'm very happy being in the Premier League, but it was Barber or Ashworth or one of the other suits who said we would be aiming for top a 10 place this year, so this is what is in the back of most fans heads at the moment, they set the expectation level and come the end of the season they need to deliver.

‘Aiming......’
Would you rather they don’t articulate a strategy just in case it takes a bit longer to achieve than the attention span of some fans ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

No-one said this year (least not Bloom or Barber). Long term ambition.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Top 10 is the long term aim the short term is to move into a established mid table club looking upwards rather than downwards.

Part of the frustration at the moment is a feeling we are standing still

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

It wasn't either of them – it was Bloom – and that wasn't even what he said in relation to the whole 'top 10' thing.

Here's the direct quote: 'We haven’t got a timescale on it, but our long term vision is to be a top-ten club.'

"WE.

HAVEN'T.

GOT.

A.

TIMESCALE."

I'm not sure he could be any more clear :shrug:

and here's the link to the whole thing – there's even a video: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...vision-makes-for-exciting-times-at-the-albion

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In fairness at some point to get to the stated aim the team/club has to be more than 4th from bottom.

The stated aim wasn't 'just keep our heads above water for the further 5 seasons then buy a top 10 finish'.

I'm a patient supporter but as we seem to be in yet another season of getting within touching distance to the bottom of the middle then blowing it, something deep inside has to change.

The clock is ticking and another season will pass us by.

boik

It wasn't either of them – it was Bloom – and that wasn't even what he said in relation to the whole 'top 10' thing.

Here's the direct quote: 'We haven’t got a timescale on it, but our long term vision is to be a top-ten club.'

"WE.

HAVEN'T.

GOT.

A.

TIMESCALE."

I'm not sure he could be any more clear :shrug:

and here's the link to the whole thing – there's even a video: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...vision-makes-for-exciting-times-at-the-albion

It's like these lazy listeners who hear a worst case scenario and take it as a prediction. It's no wonder that people are cagey about what they say.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Long term. Could be 10 years. Why does everyone want everything immediately these days.

Need to make a quantum leap from where we are now to achieve that. Having a provincial town small club budget ain't going to hack it much beyond the next season or two. Think Bournemouth. Writing's on the wall shirley without somebody with far greater financial clout doing to TB what TB did to DK? Would imagine we're already on quite a few power brokers' shortlists as takeover targets

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here