Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gérard Houllier R.I.P

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ah that's sad.

Always had a soft spot for him and his treble.

RIP

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That's shocked me. That is really sad. He was a great manager and did so much for French football. Came across as a nice guy who really bought into Liverpool too.

Coincidentally I was listing to a Quickly Kevin podcast yesterday with John Robins who was doing a worst Liverpool 11 of the 90's where Houllier came up a bit. His description of Bruno Cheyrou as the new Zidane was obviously mentioned! Overall did a decent job there though and was largely responsible for the emergence of Owen and Gerrard.

RIP.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Oh shit, likeable man. RIP.

Probably exaggerating but feels like we're reaching a level where the "X is still alive" threads cant be far away.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I always thought he was one of the nicest people in football.

he did have some poor transfer purchases (Diouf ‘the spitter’) and over hyping of players Biscan the messi of the balkans, Cheyrou the next Zidane

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Always came across as a descent sort , 73 is no age these days , great shame RIP

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
RIP

As others have said, always came across as a very decent guy and a good manager.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Always seemed a really nice and genuine man and very good manager.

He had that scare in October 2001 I think at home to Leeds when he had a heart attack at half-time. He spoke movingly in his autobiography about how he felt before, during and afterwards in hospital. I wondered if he'd come back and manage but he did and won quite a few trophies for Liverpool.

RIP Gèrard. A footballing gentleman.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Very sad. Came across as intelligent and likable. I don't think Roy Evans would necessarily agree but I suppose the pair of them were put in a position where one of them was always likely to emerge as the loser, and it was Roy (who actually I think is good egg too).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Gerard, always seemed a likeable and decent chap. Several Liverpool players of his era expressing deep shock and sympathy at his passing, he seems well loved by them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here