Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Moving out of a house - fixtures and fittings

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Hi all. I have googled this but it doesn't bring up anything as useful as real humans responding on NSC.

I'm moving house soon and want to make sure the buyers find it the way they expect to. All shelves etc are staying up, but there's a big TV bracket currently up.

Do I:

a) Leave it up - I'm not planning on mounting the TV in the new place and the buyers may use it?

b) Take it down (leaving quite big holes in the wall)?

c) Take it down and polyfil the said holes?

There's nothing in the contract and I don't really want to get into a discussion with the buyers about it.

Cheers all!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Have you got all the various screws and fittings for the TV bracket? If not take it down and fill the holes if you've got the bits to do it.

I don't think there is anything to say you can't do any of your options so it's more of a case of how would you like to find it if you bought the place.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Can’t give you an answer to that one but your thread has reminded me of a story on one of Danny Baker’s radio shows about Ian St John and moving house.

A caller rang in to say his parents bought a house off him and when they got to moving day they found he’d taken the skirting boards and light bulbs with him!

So on that basis I say take it, take it all. Rip up floor tiles etc. Fill your boots.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
The simple answer is that before you completed you would have filled in a fixtures and fittings list via your solicitor. Everything you put on that list as staying should stay, anything not on that listed should be removed. As it's a legal document the buyer 'technically' can make subsequent claims against you for loss of things removed that you said were staying and the cost of removing and repair for things you said aren't staying but were left. I say 'technically' because I doubt that any buyers bother with such claims in reality.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Leave it up. If you're not planning to use it, it's easier than holes or pollyfilla and they may use it (I'm guessing it's in the obvious place in the room for a TV).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you don't want it, I'd probably leave it where it is. New owners can decide what to do with it (and any holes left if they remove it)....that said, a decent agent should have spotted it and clarified one way or the other, so maybe check with your solicitor to be sure it won't cause a problem ?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Thanks all.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If it’s a fitting and another tv could be attached to it then I would leave it up . The alternative is take it down but you would be expected as you rightly said to fill in any holes .

This thread reminds me of a story I heard from a London agent who sold a property belong to Sting a few years ago , the house sold for £6.5 million in London and when the new owners moved in they found all the lightbulbs had been taken from every room . Reliably told that Trudy told her moving company to take them all down and the removal company were too scared to question her .

That takes mean to another level !

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If it’s a fitting and another tv could be attached to it then I would leave it up . The alternative is take it down but you would be expected as you rightly said to fill in any holes .

This thread reminds me of a story I heard from a London agent who sold a property belong to Sting a few years ago , the house sold for £6.5 million in London and when the new owners moved in they found all the lightbulbs had been taken from every room . Reliably told that Trudy told her moving company to take them all down and the removal company were too scared to question her .

That takes mean to another level !

that's how you get to live in a £6.5 million pound house , just screw people for everything you can

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Last house I sold had 4 large bolts resined into one of the bedroom walls for a gun cabinet. To have dug them out would have been a right pain and needed quite a bit of work filling in the damage. I knew the new owners where going to do quite a few modifications to the house, so I left them sticking out the wall.
Otherwise the house was pristine and clean when I left, annoyingly they didn't move in for three months!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Absolutely not - do not get involved in these types of discussions with your buyer - it often leads to trouble . Leave all communication to solicitors .

I’m sure the solicitors will be delighted to add £160 to their invoice, for sending a three line e-mail about a £20 TV bracket.

Take it down, or leave it. Either will be fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here