Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’ve started with this absolute belter
e027961bc4d1f316cb4baa5160c5646c.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have a Bolney Lynchgate red wine to consume later, very much looking forward to it

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Feeling quite stout tonight, following up with this, also a beauty
62393f235ae650bac56e236400debdf4.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I have a Bolney Lynchgate red wine to consume later, very much looking forward to it

I’d be interested in your thoughts, I’m a big advocate of British wines, some of the whites IMO are excellent, and the sparklers are in some cases outstanding, but the reds I’ve tried have been a struggle. The last one I had was the Pinot Noir from Albourne, I really couldn’t recommend it, yet their whites and blanc de blanc fizz are brilliant.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
[MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] I'm trying the dark stuff tonight too. This is one of several from my advent calendar. I can say honestly that I'm not sure I know the difference between stout & porter. This one isn't doing it for me....

IMG_1535.jpg

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I’d be interested in your thoughts, I’m a big advocate of British wines, some of the whites IMO are excellent, and the sparklers are in some cases outstanding, but the reds I’ve tried have been a struggle. The last one I had was the Pinot Noir from Albourne, I really couldn’t recommend it, yet their whites and blanc de blanc fizz are brilliant.

I have tried a half decent Red made at Plumpton College, it is made using German Dornfelder Grapes that do well in our climate, not sure if you can still get it as it may have all sold, if if pops up again next year it is definitely worth a try, reasonably priced as well, also one to open a let breathe.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I really like the Pinot Noir from Bolney.......but otherwise agree with you. Sparklers are mostly fantastic but the local reds are mostly undrinkable.....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Simple London Pride for me delivered this week.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm doing my pre-Christmas keto diet to offset the inevitable weight gain, so am on Kopparberg hard seltzer tonight- it's actually not bad.

Has anyone tried the Brewdog seasonal 'Hoppy Christmas'? Got it on order for when I break my diet in spectacular fashion.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] I'm trying the dark stuff tonight too. This is one of several from my advent calendar. I can say honestly that I'm not sure I know the difference between stout & porter. This one isn't doing it for me....
]

The story I’ve always remembered is that Porter was historically a drink made up of the slops from the drip tray. When the workers (porters) at (London) food markets, Smithfield’s etc, finished work after a night shift they went to the pubs around the market who served them the contents of the drip tray from the night before, hence the concoction was referred to as Porter. Now brewers emulate those mixes of several beers, naturally the darker beers dictate the colour, and now we have a dedicated brew known as Porter.

Stout, however, is a beer in its own right.

I generally like both if they’re done well.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Has anyone tried the Brewdog seasonal 'Hoppy Christmas'? Got it on order for when I break my diet in spectacular fashion.

Have a couple in the fridge, not quite xmasy enough just yet to try it. Also got a couple of cans of their layer cake to try.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I'll let you know, it arrived by default as it was in a work Xmas hamper that the eldests girlfriend got, the good news is they detest red wine.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been pwoper nawty today and popped up to the Dark Star brewery shop at Partridge Green. Came back with 4 pints of APA and 2 pints of Creme Brulee and 3 bottles of the Imperial Russian Stout.....won't drink it all tonight as it would probably kill me. As a pointer, they had Hophead, Green Hopped IPA, APA, Critical Mass, Creme Brulee and Revelation all available in 2 pint takeout containers and 5l mini kegs, ps, I don't work for them but would suggest it's well worth stocking up for crimbo as it's going to be a miserable New Year !

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Got a mixed 24 can case delivered today, primarily Kinnegar and Larkins but got some Wylam as well

Would like to see more English regional beers available locally to me, but they rarely are and what is is all newer breweries.

The story I’ve always remembered is that Porter was historically a drink made up of the slops from the drip tray. When the workers (porters) at (London) food markets, Smithfield’s etc, finished work after a night shift they went to the pubs around the market who served them the contents of the drip tray from the night before, hence the concoction was referred to as Porter. Now brewers emulate those mixes of several beers, naturally the darker beers dictate the colour, and now we have a dedicated brew known as Porter.

Stout, however, is a beer in its own right.

I generally like both if they’re done well.

To call that Mythology is the polite way to do so.

Porter was a legit beer style on its own, a heavier pre-aged beer; and stout was just stronger porter. Name coming from the markets is plausible but not assured.

The market pubs were often not even open "the night before", early opening was often tied to closing in the early afternoon. The market staff were their entire customer base, they wouldn't serve them slops and hope to keep them!

Basic history article that isn't based on brewery PR: https://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/09/beer-myth-porter-stout-history-truth-three-threads-names.html

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I really like the Pinot Noir from Bolney.......but otherwise agree with you. Sparklers are mostly fantastic but the local reds are mostly undrinkable.....
Bolney are one of the few English (NOT British-that's a whole 'nother thing) that do reasonable reds. Their Pinot Noir is usually among the best red wines made in the country but only small quantities are made, the Lynchgate is more variable but in years like 2018 it can be really good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here