Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Can You Believe This?

el punal

As I’m an old dribbler I’m eligible for the Government’s winter fuel allowance. This is paid by the Department of Works and Pensions to the tune of £200 per household. To cut a long story short we received our payment (me and Mrs.Punal) to the tune of £10 each - a bit of a shortfall to say the least, and obviously an error has occurred in the system.

I then contacted the DWP on their recommended phone number, essentially an answering service with numerous options. The best bit? - “ If you wish to hear this in English please press 1.” :mad:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I’m an old dribbler I’m eligible for the Government’s winter fuel allowance. This is paid by the Department of Works and Pensions to the tune of £200 per household. To cut a long story short we received our payment (me and Mrs.Punal) to the tune of £10 each - a bit of a shortfall to say the least, and obviously an error has occurred in the system.

I then contacted the DWP on their recommended phone number, essentially an answering service with numerous options. The best bit? - “ If you wish to hear this in English please press 1.” :mad:

The £10 is the Christmas pension bonus. I got mine this week.
Winter Fuel Allowance is late this year (down to Covid and staff) I got mine in the bank today, whereas last year it was November 19th.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
How very considerate of them.
Check your bank statement around the 25/27th November, that’s when we tend to receive our Winter Fuel Allowance (£200). A further £10 per person usually arrives early December and is some sort of extra Christmas bonus.

el punal

The £10 is the Christmas pension bonus. I got mine this week.
Winter Fuel Allowance is late this year (down to Covid and staff) I got mine in the bank today, whereas last year it was November 19th.

Thanks for that. Never expected the £10 bonus so automatically thought it was an error re.fuel payment. :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The £10 is to cover the cost of Santa's mince pie and sherry.

The £200 is a different payment.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Racist!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I assume that would be because their services in Wales must be available in Welsh, unsurprisingly....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I assume that would be because their services in Wales must be available in Welsh, unsurprisingly....

Well that's pissed on his bonfire :lolol:

I get mildly amused when ringing HMRC when the automated message states "as many of our staff are working from home you may hear unusual noises such as dogs barking" although any amusement is quickly forgotten after the first 2 minutes for the usual 20 waiting to be put through to a person

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I was about to reply that no-one in Wales speaks Welsh but turns out that a massive 18 % are able to speak their mother tongue :facepalm:

Edit; just noticed your location. Brilliant place name (genuinely). I’ve been repeating/practicing it in my best Welsh accent.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well that's pissed on his bonfire :lolol:

I get mildly amused when ringing HMRC when the automated message states "as many of our staff are working from home you may hear unusual noises such as dogs barking" although any amusement is quickly forgotten after the first 2 minutes for the usual 20 waiting to be put through to a person

I suppose dogs barking, would be preferable than listening to 20 mins of Max Boyce warbling down the phone to you :D

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

I am aware of some Welsh telephone systems that give you the option for English or Welsh. They told me they didn't see the point as they have no Welsh speakers working for them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was about to reply that no-one in Wales speaks Welsh but turns out that a massive 18 % are able to speak their mother tongue :facepalm:

Edit; just noticed your location. Brilliant place name (genuinely). I’ve been repeating/practicing it in my best Welsh accent.

I have a friend in his 80s, who lives in Tredegar, who can remember being punished at school for speaking Welsh.
Fortunately, schools are more enlightened nowadays.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Old age, pension, heating allowance & bus pass. I've looked forward to this year for all my working life.
Now I've got here they've added another year. 66 before I get anything. Roll on November 2021, just hope I make it.

el punal

Old age, pension, heating allowance & bus pass. I've looked forward to this year for all my working life.
Now I've got here they've added another year. 66 before I get anything. Roll on November 2021, just hope I make it.

Bet they still ask you for ID when you try to buy alcohol. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here