Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any carpenters on here?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'm having some trouble with a friend who has carried out some work for me, part of it flooring explained here.

Further to that thread, I was finally given a price for the flooring which was outrageously high. Just one example was the fee for installing the final engineered flooring layer which he was charging £82 per square meter for, while I've spoken to flooring shops in the area and they carry out this work for £19-20 per square meter.

This has made me question his whole bill, as I feel he's taking me for a ride. I'm wondering if there are any chippies on here that could help me with some ball park prices for things so I'm able to go over the work in detail and check whether what he's charging for labour is fair, I'm not looking for mates rates, just the fair market price.

For example, how much to rehang a door (swapping the side it swings) replacing hinges?
How much just to change hinges?
How much per linear meter is reasonable for installing skirting boards?
How much to install architrave (ogee 75mm) around a door?
How much to install threshold strips between a carpeted and a wood floor?
How much to install new door handles and latch plates?

Any pointers much appreciated!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I had a chippy ‘mate’ in recently, and he was a bit crap which is another story, but £200 per day, and he seemed to be able to hang an internal door fit all the gubbins in an hour, so worked out about £25 per door. These were FD30 fire doors so needed 3 hinges per door. He did fit some existing doors into new openings and needed to add a bit of wood to the bottom as the opening was bigger as well as swapping hinges and furniture - still think it wasn’t far off an hour per door. FD30 doors were bloody heavy and awkward to move too.

£82 sq m to lay a floor, an average size room say 15 sq m he’s charging £1200, that’s effectively 5 or 6 days going rate for a chippy...

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have just had a new floor laid (LVT). The floor had to be screeded with latex first (two coats) - the shop that arranged the work have the fitters paid separately so I know exactly what the labour costs were - £45 for the screed and £120 for fitting the LVT the following day. Room is 4m x 3m.

Screeding took probably a couple of hours (1 hour per coat), and the LVT a little under half a day.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I had a chippy ‘mate’ in recently, and he was a bit crap which is another story, but £200 per day, and he seemed to be able to hang an internal door fit all the gubbins in an hour, so worked out about £25 per door. These were FD30 fire doors so needed 3 hinges per door. He did fit some existing doors into new openings and needed to add a bit of wood to the bottom as the opening was bigger as well as swapping hinges and furniture - still think it wasn’t far off an hour per door. FD30 doors were bloody heavy and awkward to move too.

£82 sq m to lay a floor, an average size room say 15 sq m he’s charging £1200, that’s effectively 5 or 6 days going rate for a chippy...
No that’s the rate for your crap chippie :lolol: a professional chippy might decide he’s worth more.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Have just had a new floor laid (LVT). The floor had to be screeded with latex first (two coats) - the shop that arranged the work have the fitters paid separately so I know exactly what the labour costs were - £45 for the screed and £120 for fitting the LVT the following day. Room is 4m x 3m.

Screeding took probably a couple of hours (1 hour per coat), and the LVT a little under half a day.

Very reasonable price that Dazzer £10sqm is the average going rate if straight lay easy job rising to £20 sqm for more intricate work.
Saves a shop putting on their profit usually 60% on top.
The only draw back is if there is a problem with the fitting now or at a later date.
As fitters move on fairly regularly, and then you could end up arguing with the shop if the original fitter has left and if it's a big chain then they are worse as a smaller independent would be more inclined to go back even if they send someone else to rectify it as they will try and stop any bad feedback on various sites etc.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Is this thread about Calling Occupants of InterPLANEtary Craftsmen ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very reasonable price that Dazzer £10sqm is the average going rate if straight lay easy job rising to £20 sqm for more intricate work.
Saves a shop putting on their profit usually 60% on top.
The only draw back is if there is a problem with the fitting now or at a later date.
As fitters move on fairly regularly, and then you could end up arguing with the shop if the original fitter has left and if it's a big chain then they are worse as a smaller independent would be more inclined to go back even if they send someone else to rectify it as they will try and stop any bad feedback on various sites etc.

Yeah I thought so - it's a small independent shop I'd highly recommend, and the fitter was also very good. Their service was brilliant from start to finish - actually had some real problems with the floor (it's a new conservatory, the builders messed up - put the screed directly onto chipboard and of course it blew - and had to take the original screed and underfloor heating mat up, so I told them I wanted the flooring company to do the screed instead). Because of the issues with the floor first time around I've got written clarity about who is responsible for what...........

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No that’s the rate for your crap chippie :lolol: a professional chippy might decide he’s worth more.

Definitely. Like anything you pay for what you get. Helpful to the OP, what would you put the going rate for a high quality carpenter for say intricate balustrade/finishing joinery work?

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know the best carpenter, but he only works Rainy Days and Mondays.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
E91250EE-BA0B-43FB-8B16-7567A6C093BB.png

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Carpenter here.

Just laying the floor and underlay after levelling out done ect. £22 Sqm

Door £50-£80 hollow/firedoor
£2.69 on the skirting. Current site price im getting. Can rise to about £5 though depending on material and profile.
Arc set £15 for both sides (just futting, not removing old ect)
Door handles and latches are included in the door price.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think this thread has only just begun

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here