Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Webster is not a defender: discuss

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I think my preference is Veltman, Dunk and White in defence. Webster is not currently playing that well, but is generally a good player and is obviously a defender. No doubt he’ll get the winner at the weekend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well....after our worst league start for some time, its only natural that some fans want to discuss and examine where we can improve. The OP wanted to provoke a discussion about a particular player. Nothing wrong in that. We all see players differently. If we were sitting in the top half of the table, I would agree with your comment but football is all about opinions and we aren't exactly ripping up trees at the moment.
Just to ruffle a few feathers a bit more, is Adam Webster really much better than Connor Goldson?

Yes, fair enough.

On a similar note, that Boris Johnson is, in my opinion a bit rubbish. Are we much better off now than we would have been under Jeremy Corbyn? Perhaps I'll start a thread.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ryan - tick
March - tick
Webster - tick

Looking good for my scapegoat Bingo card!

Just need Gross for all 4 corners...

Gotta wonder how we only lost by an odd goal to Southampton, playing with only 8 footballers.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Following on from the Solly March edition of this question, I have been moved to add my own version.
This isn't about bedwetting. I just don't see what he brings to the team.
His passing is erratic.
Frankly he is no better than Duffy bringing the ball out.
He rarely wins a decisive header from defence.
He rarely wins a directed header in attack.
His tackles are often erratic and don't cleanly win the ball.
His long balls upfield rarely hit a Brighton player.
His positioning is dreadful in defence, rarely near a dangerous attacker.
Occasional tendency to dangle a leg indecisively near the ball to deflect it to no man's land.

I concede I don't like what he brings to the team, in fact I don't know what that is. For me, he is what Stephens or Barnes were to their detractors.
The BBC ranked his performance bottom apart from the subs against Saints which is where I place him most matches.
But interested to hear what others think.

He was poor on Monday, but after Lockdown he was one of our most consistent performers. He had a bad game. Not sure left side of a back 3 suits him. Not sure playing middle of the 3 suits Dunk. I would swap them over.

I think he is a good player but I agree I do wince every time he goes on a run because 9 times out of 10 he loses the ball and then is out of position.

Sadly though there is a tendency to slate players that are not on form at the moment. Maupay and Ryan are 2 other examples of this.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He was poor on Monday, but after Lockdown he was one of our most consistent performers. He had a bad game. Not sure left side of a back 3 suits him. Not sure playing middle of the 3 suits Dunk. I would swap them over.

I think he is a good player but I agree I do wince every time he goes on a run because 9 times out of 10 he loses the ball and then is out of position.

Sadly though there is a tendency to slate players that are not on form at the moment. Maupay and Ryan are 2 other examples of this.

And March gets slated even when he is one of the most on form players in the league!

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Agree with this. I think we've far too many central defenders and it's causing GPot problems

Dunk seems immune from criticism which is interesting

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes Dunk has had a slow start to the season not helped by missing 3 games.

Just because he is captain doesnt mean he needs to play in the middle of the 3. I think Webster or Veltman would be better suited to that role and move Dunk to the left where he played with Duffy

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Personally, I think we should end the back 3 formation. It doesn't suit Webster being on the left of the three, Burn should be playing there based on the performances of Webster. Drop the back 3 which isn't working anyway, Webster and White can fight out partnering Dunk.

I like Webster, he's a good player. He's no Duffy in the air and he's no Greer with his feet but he's a solid player and will continue to improve. He needs to be a goal threat again though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes Dunk has had a slow start to the season not helped by missing 3 games.

Just because he is captain doesnt mean he needs to play in the middle of the 3. I think Webster or Veltman would be better suited to that role and move Dunk to the left where he played with Duffy

I'd play White in the middle, Dunk staying to the left, Veltman to the right.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Well this hasn't gone well. I was hoping for a genuine discussion with views on both sides of the argument, but instead got the likes of Stat Brother and Mustafa's bollux. I expected better. Oh well.

Well SSE I think your making some good points.
He wouldn’t be in my trio at the moment,not been good enough
and be found out a bit for me.
Lucky to be starting every week from what I can see.
Veltman should start before him along side Dunk and White.

Personally, I think we should end the back 3 formation. It doesn't suit Webster being on the left of the three, Burn should be playing there based on the performances of Webster. Drop the back 3 which isn't working anyway, Webster and White can fight out partnering Dunk.

I like Webster, he's a good player. He's no Duffy in the air and he's no Greer with his feet but he's a solid player and will continue to improve. He needs to be a goal threat again though.

I'm pretty sure we only got our first batch of wins long after the Watford opener last season only once we dumped the back 3

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Ryan - tick
March - tick
Webster - tick

Looking good for my scapegoat Bingo card!

Just need Gross for all 4 corners...

We'll some of the players can't be good enough. We haven't won a single home game in the last twelve. Unless you think it's the manager or we've just been unlucky? Now you mention it, Gross IS far too f'ing slow for the Premier League. For the record though, I'm a big fan of Solly.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

And who plays RB. Drop 3 at the back and you weaken the defence if you stick with Lamptey.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We'll some of the players can't be good enough. We haven't won a single home game in the last twelve. Unless you think it's the manager or we've just been unlucky? Now you mention it, Gross IS far too f'ing slow for the Premier League. For the record though, I'm a big fan of Solly.

The problem is it’s the same players that go round in rotation as scapegoats, yet our current manager, and Chris Hughton before him, have consistently played these players.

That leaves one of 3 conclusions - a) our manager doesn’t know what he’s doing b) our recruitment team don’t know what they are doing c) us fans don’t know better than people who are paid vast amounts of money to run our football team...

As an aside, I guess with fans now coming back to the ground the opinion might change, but I don’t really care where we pick up our points. I would be quite happy to lose all the home games and win all the away ones, just as long as we get enough points...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Following on from the Solly March edition of this question, I have been moved to add my own version.
This isn't about bedwetting. I just don't see what he brings to the team.
His passing is erratic.
Frankly he is no better than Duffy bringing the ball out.
He rarely wins a decisive header from defence.
He rarely wins a directed header in attack.
His tackles are often erratic and don't cleanly win the ball.
His long balls upfield rarely hit a Brighton player.
His positioning is dreadful in defence, rarely near a dangerous attacker.
Occasional tendency to dangle a leg indecisively near the ball to deflect it to no man's land.

I concede I don't like what he brings to the team, in fact I don't know what that is. For me, he is what Stephens or Barnes were to their detractors.
The BBC ranked his performance bottom apart from the subs against Saints which is where I place him most matches.
But interested to hear what others think.

If you have a look at the Predict the Line-up, you'll notice that every poster has included Webster. They're probably basing that on the fact that Potter seems to like him. I think Potter knows more about football than I do. Ditto with you. So, I see the points you make, although I disagree with most of them. But can you enumerate some of his strengths, or are you of the view that he doesn't have any?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For me we have two or three (white) or four (belters velters) ball playing ground level tackling defenders, none of whom are as commanding in air as Shane... what the latter bought was aerial security, a sense of security that Maty Ryan clearly and crucially misses... over time his confidence has eroded along with our ability to defend aerial delivery hence our shit record from set pieces at both ends of the pitch... we’re silky with the ball, but dangerously susceptible to anything in the air, we are weak. Crucially all of the defenders are losing confidence, along with Maty... we’re indeed trouble as a consequence.

Dunk and Duffy complemented one another, it worked in spite of their individual failings... all of our central defenders are similar, with the exception of BDB... but is he good enough to play centrally - at this level?

Robert Sanchez is the answer for me, the question being has GP got the balls to drop Ryan again? Ultimately it’s not Matys fault, moreover he’s victim of the failings of the defence now that Shane has gone and confidence is low. I don’t think GP is strong enough tbh, I think he likes Ryan as a professional and that’s a problem for Graham... sure he can punish an out of line player but drop one of his former favs - when it’s not a ‘rest...’ hmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What ^ says. I'm struggling to think what BDB does better than Webster, but ho hum.

Unfair to BDB really as he is mainly played in a role that is not natural to him. Neither are particular good in the air, BDB pushes forward more and is a better tackler and has more energy. Webster is possibly better with ball at his feet but he is not coming forward much at present. Personally neither would be my first choice of CB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here