Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Broadband query

Currently with Utility Warehouse with the monthly combined cost for this and landline just over £45. Speed test today shows we are currently getting 24.8 mbps download, 18.1 mbps upload.

There has been a lot of activity locally (as in just up from our doorstep) by trooli who are installing fibre with a view to encouraging us to sign up to fibre to our doorsteps. They are offering free installation with a minimum monthly spend of £50. To be quite honest the speeds we get seem to suit us (often all four in the house are using phones, tablets or PC) and it doesn't really seem worth the cost. Questions from me are as follows:-

1. Are the speeds we are currently getting comparable with most of you?
  2. If we upgrade will it be a case of "wow that is amazing" or "why did we bother".
  3. Any suggestions regarding other packages - we are happy with UW.

Thanks in anticipation.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not sure it’s entirely comparable - location being primary difference - but I’m paying £60 a month for Sky including Q and HD Sports with 76mb broadband.

Typical speeds are actually 50mb and often have work VPN, HD tv and three phones on the wifi with typically two watching HD content and it’s fantastic.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I pay plusnet about £24 a month and get about 30mb/s download and 8mb/s upload. There's two of us here and not heavy users, Was on similar at my old house and there were four of us there with my son gaming.
If you sign up for FTTP (fibre to the premises) you will get faster speeds but if you're not noticing a problem it might not be worth bothering.
You also need to consider what contention ratio the FTP provider has. Contention ratio is the number of customers connected to the DSLAM which takes a bunch of customer lines and connects them to the back haul network. For example, if you have a 50:1 contention ratio and the DSLAM is on a 1GB link, then, even if you have 100mb to your house, you might not get that due to downstream bottlenecking.
So don't be fooled by flashy adverts with big numbers as they aren't the full story.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you dont see any lag, poor quality video, its probably not worth changing and expect "why did we bother" review.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"The annual 2019 world speeds report from research firm M-Lab and Cable.co.uk has revealed that for 2019 the United Kingdom delivered an average (mean) broadband ISP download speed of just 22.37Mbps (up from 18.57Mbps in 2018 and 16.51Mbps in 2017), ranking us 34th fastest in the world (up from 35th last year)."

Meaning you probably got somewhere around the 2020 average.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm with Vodafone, I pay around £35pm and always get 60mb+ download speeds. Router seems to struggle with multiple devices, usually multiple mobiles. But at any one time we have 3 phones, PS5, TV and streaming services all feeding off the same router so it's kind of expected at times.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Mine was shite ... Bt put fibre on to house with BT hub and I now get average 95 download and 32 upload which is awesome compared with what we had circa 10down and 2up. £39.99 and charged £10 to fit inc box and Hub.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Mine was shite ... Bt put fibre on to house with BT hub and I now get average 95 download and 32 upload which is awesome compared with what we had circa 10down and 2up. £39.99 and charged £10 to fit inc box and Hub.

We had 1 max download for years (I live in the sticks in Wales). BT installed FTTP and it’s now 500! I won’t tell you what I pay, I just wanted the best having had years of taking days to download a film!!

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
We upgraded to BT Halo2 on Tuesday (cheaper deal) - meant to be very good - promising excellent WiFi strength in each room & a BT engineer comes and does everything. MEANT to be and what it is - are somewhat apart. Signal is worse and the great BT engineer managed to bugger up Sky Q on our tv (whilst going on about the penalty on Monday night!). Utterly dreadful - now trying to get a BT engineer who is qualified to sort this mess out. Sky are coming tmrw..... wish we'd never changed from ordinary BT wifi.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
£23 for Vodafone and get 25mps which serves us both fine + streaming + when kids are in town. Excellent wifi coverage across house and in garden

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We upgraded to BT Halo2 on Tuesday (cheaper deal) - meant to be very good - promising excellent WiFi strength in each room & a BT engineer comes and does everything. MEANT to be and what it is - are somewhat apart. Signal is worse and the great BT engineer managed to bugger up Sky Q on our tv (whilst going on about the penalty on Monday night!). Utterly dreadful - now trying to get a BT engineer who is qualified to sort this mess out. Sky are coming tmrw..... wish we'd never changed from ordinary BT wifi.

Interesting We are with BT and only get decent WIFI in 2 rooms downstairs none upstairs. Looking at recent advert said guarantee reception in every room. Was about to ring them up but from your experience not worth it

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
If Virgin cable is available, try them. I get 212 mb download every day/all day (usually around 15ms ping). Getting 215 mb measured at the moment with the wife and I working from home and me on a Teams meeting.

Any alternative ISP is limited if you are still on copper wire connections. Either cable or fibre is the way to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here